• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Anyone Actively Follow/Trade the Stock Market??

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Anyone Actively Follow/Trade the Stock Market??

I'm curious to know if anyone actively trades on the stockmarket, or at least follows some stocks. Years ago i got given some shares(AMP) that have sort of let sit there without too much interest in how they are going. However recently had been keeping tabs on them a bit more

is there anyone out there that actively trades?

I actively follow it. I buy for the dividend income and consider the capital growth a bonus. I also write covered calls occasionally when conditions are right.

I like to keep tabs on how the dollar is performing , this stems from my days when i was getting a lot of american cheques coming in so wanted to cash them in at the right time

the bank used to hate seeing me walk in as they knew i would have a stack of american cheques , each one taking a few minutes to process

some of the cheques were easy as they were drawn from the same bank so was only a matter of cutting and pasting and changing the cheque number , but others the numbers were all different

Back on topic... you don't follow stockmarket? Just about everyone has AMP shares as they gave them out to all their superannuation / insurance clients and they fucked things up and the value took a dump.

People hold onto them thinking maybe one day they'll be worth something, or just from laziness / procrastination but they should sell them off and have a go at something better. It's practically free money.

Personally, I like to combine the income from shares with the growth from property (the income from the shares paying for the negative gap in holding costs on the house). I don't have any investment property anymore (still have my dividend paying shares), but definitely want back in on that. It's exceptional when the shares are paying for it.

Last edited:
Back on topic... you don't follow stockmarket? Just about everyone has AMP shares as they gave them out to all their superannuation / insurance clients and they fucked things up and the value took a dump.

People hold onto them thinking maybe one day they'll be worth something, or just from laziness / procrastination but they should sell them off and have a go at something better. It's practically free money.

Personally, I like to combine the income from shares with the growth from property (the income from the shares paying for the negative gap in holding costs on the house). I don't have any investment property anymore (still have my dividend paying shares), but definitely want back in on that. It's exceptional when the shares are paying for it.

When i got given the shares they were worth a shitload , but due to family restrictions i was unable to cash them in, now that i older a bit more financial secure i will be throwing some cash at the market and see what returns i get back

We run a self managed super fund, our advisor uses the money to buy and sell.
I wouldn't want to retire today, based on stock prices.

I have an extensive blue chip portfolio & a few high risk investments, but to me, most are long term & I don't watch the stocks everyday.

Have, however, amassed a small fucking fortune on paper, out of Flinders Mining shares :)

My brothers are all bankers, stock brokers & high fliers, they also day trade in their spare time. They've taken good care of their sister. But needless to say, I will never be as wealthy as they are lol

I'm still just a single Mum, from the burbs ;)

I stick to bricks and mortar myself because its an investment I understand I do however enjoy the asx websites stock market game that gets run quarterly. Great way to test the water without investing.

Last edited:
It's now the brag about your personal wealth thread.

Ahh no, it's not. Bella has very little, compared to most people. I left my entire life behind in Canada for a douche bag to enjoy.

My shares and investments are really all I have. So it's not much. My brothers and father however, are wonderfully wealthy and enjoy the high life.

But I'm not them.

Why? My father has been investing for us all since we were children. It wrecks my life NOW come tax time though :mad: lol

I dont know how to put this in a way that doesnt offend anyone as that is not my intention in srs threads, but you should seek taxation advice.

You said you had "bluechip" shares and held them longterm, therefore you're not realising any capital gains. So, the tax "problem" must therefore be coming from the dividends. Given the franking levels on these (and the fact that you have finance industry family who presumably know how to correctly put things in tax structures) your income tax should infact be refundable rather than payable.

None of the above is any of my business, nor do i really care what other people do or dont do. But if its causing you tax problems you're doing it wrong.

I dont know how to put this in a way that doesnt offend anyone as that is not my intention in srs threads, but you should seek taxation advice.

You said you had "bluechip" shares and held them longterm, therefore you're not realising any capital gains. So, the tax "problem" must therefore be coming from the dividends. Given the franking levels on these (and the fact that you have finance industry family who presumably know how to correctly put things in tax structures) your income tax should infact be refundable rather than payable.

None of the above is any of my business, nor do i really care what other people do or dont do. But if its causing you tax problems you're doing it wrong.

True. And yes, I have been. Since I've been back in Oz...it's been causing me grief. I have 3 years worth of tax to do, because of some other stuff, to do with Mum's estate....anyway, it'll get sorted now. An accountant has been appointed and left with the mess. lol