• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Personal Training??

nothintoit

Hi all...

Just a quick question, not sure were else to post this.

So after a long hard think about the situation, i have come ot the conclusion i would love to be a personal trainer, i would love to help the people out that need it.
I've been there at one stage being young, chubby, teased, unfit!!!
At that time i really had no money so i couldnt go to a gym or get a personal trainer, so i researched and di it all on my own, when i lost the weight, i felt great!! happy, active, beaches top off!!
After a while i stoped jogging, but still stayed away from all the sugars and fatty foods.
Then i decidced to build muscle, its been about 2 years now since i joined a gym, the first year was playing around lifting weights "pretending" i knew what i was doing - nevereally saw results, however, the second year i started doing things the right way and saw results and am still seeing results, training has taken a toll in my life - when i was starting out my cousine (experinced bodybuilder for the past 11 years) told me that training is not only going to the gym for the 1 hour of the day and thats it theres much more to it, anyway not to get into too much detail i have sacrificed ALOT of things for training but i love it and would love to help others out in seeing them gaining the results they want.

So now getting to my question, i work full time, so i would like to do a part time PT course, there is no rush at the moment, is there money to be made if i were to work as a PT on a Saturday?
it osunds stupid i know, but i would obvuiopusly like to have some extra $$ so would it be worth me doing this on only weekends?

Secondly, If i were to quit my full time job, and start PT full time is there $$ to be made? enough to pay bills, and petrol etc.
I'm not sure how it works in the way of paying the gyms a certain fee but i have spoken to a couple PT's and they said its not worth it, are the just saying this to have less compition or are they being serious?

Could somebody please help me and give me some advice?

It would be much appreciated,

Thanking you all in advance,

it's quite a niche field that has way too much competition in it , there is money to be made in anything it all depends on how much time and effort you want to put into marketing as well as what group you will be targeting

stick to your current job , you will be better off

HYJAK - Not trying to offend or be rude, but is this just what YOU think or is this because you know for sure?

Thanks

From people I know in the industry not personal experience. I agree with what admin said I was just a little blunter about it.

My PT from FF never made alot of money, some weeks she would have so many cancellations she would find herself loitering around the gym. Christmas and winter times were bad.

HYJAK - I'm a building inspector, doing commercial sized building. Yes it is steady and i do enjoy it. so im happy here but would love to be in the industry training people.

Sticky - As i said in my first post, its something i LOVE and i do want to help people so its not about the money for me, i do NOT want to do it to make a fortune, but i do need money to live, just like everyone else i have a morgage, bills and repayments to make so i do need some sort of an income. Good for you if you don't do it to earn money, Im real happy for you....

Deep - yeah, i know a couple PT dudes and they say the exact same things, but i wasnt sure if they were saying the truth or just didnt want more compition out there.

Nah, the PTs you're talking to (and Sticky) are legit - while there is money to be made, it isn't an easy game. I've spoken to around a dozen PTs, and those who don't either

A. Work under contract for a gym

B. Own a gym

C. Have super trainer 'status'

All have it as a second income. Either their missus or husband provide the bread, or they have another job and only work it on weekends, etc.

Very very few people will want to train with you if you don't know the specifics of nutrition, have some qualifications (whether they are on paper, or in iron) and can adapt to the attitude of each of your clients. Until you establish a foothold, you need to train your clients how THEY want to be trained, not how you want to train them; regardless of how stupid they may be.

So, if you can lift big, and look good or have some paper quals... sweet. Try to get your name out there and work some weekends (especially in somewhat rural areas, weekend trainers can be expensive or hard to come by).

If neither? Get both. But good luck - I wish you the best with it

Can understand why alot of PT's do bootcamp, get a group of clients together on a saturday morning or early morning weekdays.

Id love to do something weightlifting related one day. If i ever had the cash i'd love to open a little underground gym somewhere. Couple of power racks, benches, dumbbells, barbells, bodyweight stations and some prowlers, big tires and whatnot.

Dreaming big lol

The gal who runs the KB training and bootcamp sessions I attend does a range of things, partly due to demand from clients and partly because she has a real passion and love for it. Yes, she makes money out of it, but frankly, she's not making a fortune. She's having a lot of fun though. I really envy that. Pondering....

She's an amazing trainer and her love for what she does really comes through.
She's competed in strongman and now competes in powerlifting as well as having run ultramarathons.

how long did it take for you to make 1300? is that a weekly thing or do you have good and bad weeks

I've been there about a 11 months. It took 6 to get to that level (30 hours). Before that time I made about 700 min to 1100 max a week, working shitty longer shifts though. I may earn 1200 in a slow week or 1450 in a real good week. Keep in mind I am a casual employee of of the Gym and if I slow down they find me clients or can give me some more work unlike most gyms who sell their positions off via rent. I also have less potential earnings but make up for it in job and wage safety.