• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squatting, Depth and Hamstrings: A Different Point of View

RyanF

***I've also posted this on fitocracy.***

It's story time.

The very first time I did squats as an exercise, I was 14 years old and doing martial arts. The instructor didn't say anything about depth one way or another, so I was blissfully unaware of how big a shitstorm was going on in the fitness industry on the matter. This was back in 2003.

squats1-e1331315311269.jpg

^ Here's a reenactment.

After I stopped doing martial arts (not my choice, btw), it was about 2-3 years before I'd do squats again as an exercise. I remember being 16, seeing other people in the squat racks at my gym, and thinking: "I want to learnt o do that," although I was mildly terrified of the exercise. After a very long time of nagging the instructors at my gym to give me something new for legs (all they ever gave me in my programs was different leg presses, and I wasn't willing to try learning the barbell squat on my own for fear of crippling spine damage -- given my lack of awareness RE: posture, I'd say it's a good thing I didn't try learning them on my own back then, too), one of the instructors finally had me doing bodyweight squats...supersetted with leg presses. I don't recall her saying anything about knee health or depth, but she did tell me to sit back as I squatted, which made them very different to how I remembered them, and resulted in a much shallower squat.

It was still another couple years, when I was 19 and studying my Cert III in Fitness, before I started seriously including squats in my program. That was when I first started doing barbell back squats, and it's the first time I can recall really being influenced to believe that you shouldn't squat below parallel (although it was in the next year in my Diploma of Fitness that I was really drilled with day-in-day-out rhetoric about below-parallel squats causing your knees to snap in half and your grandmother to have a stroke and a sack of kittens drowning). 90-degree angles became like the 10 commandments, and anything deeper than that was automatically bad for the knees. We were taught all sorts of arbitrary things, and brainwashed to omit anything that contradicts what we'd been taught.

It was at the start of 2010 when, after 2 years of mocking the program, I decided to be fair and actually read Starting Strength. If you've read Starting Strength, then you know Rip's stance on squats: below parallel brings the hamstrings more into the squat, stabilising the knee, making squats safer in that deep position. This contradicted everything I'd been taught.

I now have a little over 2 years experience in squatting to parallel or lower, after 2 years of squatting above parallel. The partial squatters of the world generally believe that their way is safest. The full squatters of the world generally believe that their way is safest. Who's right? Who's wrong?

Well, actually, there's truth to both sides of the argument, and there are some glaring fallacies on both sides of the argument. The problem comes in assuming that a full squat is just a partial squat with more depth, and that a partial squat is just a full squat stopped prematurely. If you approach either of them this way, it's not going to be very good for you.

So, how do we full squat? We full squat (generally) by turning our toes out somewhat, driving our knees out and sinking our torsoes down between our thighs. The knees come forward as we descend, generally going past the toes by a couple inches. In front squats, overhead squats and high bar back squats, we'll generally aim to keep the torso upright. Now, if you were to let your knees get into position to allow for a full squat, and then stop at 90 degrees and come back up while your torso is still quite upright, then most of the bending will have occurred in the knees, with just a little bit of hip bend. There won't be much tension in the hamstrings because of this minimal hip angle, and overall the experience will probably be unpleasant. I remember seeing a video of Dan John teaching the squat, and he did a partial at bodyweight just by replicating an olympic style squat and then coming back up prematurely, and with no outside load his knees did not like it.

ankleHipSquat.jpg

^ A standard ATG front squat. Note the knees are past the toes and the torso is upright. While the hamstrings can't get too involved in the front squat due to the more exaggerated knee angle comapred to hip angle, the further forward the knees go, the deeper the hips have to go in order to make much use of the hamstrings.

How then do we partial squat? Well, what I would consider to be a relatively safe partial squat will more resemble a low bar back squat squat, however with the knees further back. If you keep your knees behind your toes, then there's only so far down you can go without rounding your back in order to go deeper. The knees must travel forwards in order to allow for depth. In the partial squat, there's usually no need to turn the feet out, since your torso won't be sliding down between your thighs, although you can turn them out if it's more comfortable or to use more of your adductors. Keep your chest up, refuse to let your knees pass your toes, and push your bum back. Eventually you will hit a point where, in order to go any lower, you'll have to either let your back round or let your knees move forwards. If you don't push past this point and instead come straight up, then there will have been a fair amount of tension on the hamstrings supporting the knees. So long as the weight isn't too much, your knees will generally feel alright with this. Here's why the partial squatters generally think that squatting deeper will mean less hamstring involvement and consequently less knee stability: in order for them to keep their spine in extension, to go deeper from the bottom of their partial squat requires letting the knees come forward, which instantly takes tension off the hamstrings.

bob-harper-02.jpg

^ Not surprisingly, a good partial squat on the interwebs is hard to find. Look at the image on the left and imagine a barbell on her shoulders, with her otherwise being inthe same position. You know that she isn't going any lower without her knees coming forward or her toppling forward into a goodmorning or her lower back rounding and butt winking.

The partial squat here, which is how I spent 2 years learning it, is somewhat like a deadlift with the bar on your shoulders (not a goodmorning, though). It is not a full squat stopped early. Likewise, simply trying to go deeper into it will not suffice as a healthy full squat, because it is as deep as the hips should go, given the position of the knees behind the toes. It will use the hamstrings, and they can be very involved, indeed. Full squats will also use the hamstrings, however due to the knee position and back angle you will have to go deeper before they kick in. Is a properly executed partial squat safer than a properly executed full squat, or vice versa? I don't know. I'm not willing to tackle that one. But both lifts can definitely be done in a way that is comfortable on the knees, recruits the hamstrings and is relatively stable.

Yep. Wrote it up this afternoon. Been pondering about doing an article like this for a few weeks now.

@RyanF ... I ♥ you. You'd get along so well with my trainer too.
In the end, both exercises are good functional exercises and you make exactly the point that almost everyone overlooks:

They are not the same thing, done differently. They are different types of squats.

Like you, i started with partial squats after a running injury that prevented me from a full squat (even with BW alone). They played a key role in keeping me going and also for rehab to strengthen my hamstrings again without overtaxing my injury.

This is a really succinct and well thought out article.
Did you write it?

Thanks for posting and sharing!
:)

@RyanF ... I ♥ you. You'd get along so well with my trainer too.
In the end, both exercises are good functional exercises and you make exactly the point that almost everyone overlooks:

They are not the same thing, done differently. They are different types of squats.

Like you, i started with partial squats after a running injury that prevented me from a full squat (even with BW alone). They played a key role in keeping me going and also for rehab to strengthen my hamstrings again without overtaxing my injury.

This is a really succinct and well thought out article.
Did you write it?

Thanks for posting and sharing!
:)
Yay, I'm loved ♥♥♥

You said here: "They played a key role in keeping me going and also for rehab to strengthen my hamstrings again without overtaxing my injury." It's funny you should say that, because the thing that sparked my desire to want to write this article was viewing a dicussion over on bb.com where someone (a competitive bodybuilder, btw, so he's probably aware of what muscles he's using when lifting) did his glute/hamstring-dominant partial squat (not that every partial squat is posterior chain dominant) and everyone in the thread told him that he clearly doesn't know his anatomy or what he's talking about, because: "those are partials, they don't even activate your glutes or hamstrings." Isn't it interesting how these same people do deadlifts, RDLs, goodmornings, hyperextensions etc, they know that these exercises are all posterior chain without any hips-below-knees action, and yet they're blind to the fact that the same things that make all those other exercise posterior chain dominant can be applied to partial squats, too.

Absolutely.
I think it's easy for people to become blind to commonsense and facts when there's so much rhetoric thrown around.

My ankle/calf injury flared up again recently and has given me some grief with my squats (world's worst full squat attempts ever and painful at that). What did I do? Go back to partial squats and rehabbed my ankle/calf. Now, I'm squatting much better on both counts.
But it's funny how you instinctively feel as though somehow you're "not doing it right" because everyone comes at you with "you don't have depth".
Well, I'm not supposed to, am I?
Just lucky I have a great trainer who knows her stuff. :D

Ryan, how much do you squat?
About 3 feathers.

Since you asked, this morning I did high bar back squat ATG 1x115kg, tomorrow I'll be doing front squat 1x85kg. Back when I did low bar back squats parallel, my best squat was 5x117.5kg, but it's been a long time since I've done them so I don't think I'd be able to repeat or beat that if I were to try at this point in time.

I just found this video on youtube which looks exactly like how I used to do partial squats. Notably, they're not quarter-inch depth squats, they're just 6 inches or so north of parallel. Notice how his knees only move about a couple inches forward as he descends and his hips go far back, whilst keeping the chest up and the weight of the bar over the heels.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fx8iSDt3No"]Partial Squats - YouTube[/ame]

yep, that's more or less how I did partial squats. I got to 90kg for about 15 reps, which for me is just over 2xBW for partials.

If you do them right, they really engage the hamstrings and glutes.

yep, that's more or less how I did partial squats. I got to 90kg for about 15 reps, which for me is just over 2xBW for partials.

If you do them right, they really engage the hamstrings and glutes.
That's actually better than I used to do on them. Good stuff.

Thats pretty much how i was taught to squat, the shitty "bodybuilding style" which is basically the partial squat you explained and similar to that video to parallel depth. Stance slightly narrow etc. It was fucking shit, i hated every squat day, my knees would ache, I had no groove etc.

Since tearing my MCL a few times, and learning to squat again, squatting ATG olympic style, my quads have exploded in size in comparison, and my knee's feel amazing, The movement feels easy (note, the effort isnt easy, however its more comfortable on the joints and am able to generate excessively more force), i love squatting and is easily my favourite exercise.

Thats pretty much how i was taught to squat, the shitty "bodybuilding style" which is basically the partial squat you explained and similar to that video to parallel depth. Stance slightly narrow etc. It was fucking shit, i hated every squat day, my knees would ache, I had no groove etc.

Since tearing my MCL a few times, and learning to squat again, squatting ATG olympic style, my quads have exploded in size in comparison, and my knee's feel amazing, The movement feels easy (note, the effort isnt easy, however its more comfortable on the joints and am able to generate excessively more force), i love squatting and is easily my favourite exercise.
I didn't know there was a "bodybuilding style," I thought bbers just lifted in whatever way makes the target muscles grow. Partial squats certainly aren't for everyone, and I'm not recommending that people go out and replace their good full squats with partials, but I do think partials get too bad a reputation amongst most internet strength/bodybuilding forums. Heck, Oni almost has it better than partial squats!! :eek: (Almost.)

Nice write up mate, but don't agree about some of it.

I'm on my phone at the moment, it's to hard to quote/reply, but I will try and remember to reply tomorrow.

So, how do we full squat? We full squat (generally) by turning our toes out somewhat, driving our knees out and sinking our torsoes down between our thighs.

When you squat, you want your feet as straight as possible, not turned out.
This go for both high and low bar squat, but particularly important for low bar wide squats.

ankleHipSquat.jpg

^ A standard ATG front squat. Note the knees are past the toes and the torso is upright. While the hamstrings can't get too involved in the front squat due to the more exaggerated knee angle comapred to hip angle, the further forward the knees go, the deeper the hips have to go in order to make much use of the hamstrings.

Lets not forget that this is an olympic weightlifter, lifting for sport. I dont really see a need for this type of squat in regular training,

How then do we partial squat?

I think we need to clear up what a partial squat is.
A partial squat would be well above parallel, you seem to be alluding that 2" under is a "partial".

Well, what I would consider to be a relatively safe partial squat will more resemble a low bar back squat squat, however with the knees further back. If you keep your knees behind your toes, then there's only so far down you can go without rounding your back in order to go deeper. The knees must travel forwards in order to allow for depth.

Not quite true.
Depth will be limited by flexibly.
We have many guys at PTC that squat low bar, wide stance, shins vertical, that can squat 4" under parallel. It comes down to flexibly, mobility and levers.

In the partial squat, there's usually no need to turn the feet out, since your torso won't be sliding down between your thighs, although you can turn them out if it's more comfortable or to use more of your adductors. Keep your chest up, refuse to let your knees pass your toes, and push your bum back.

Its not a partial, its low bar.
Your torso wont be going down between your thighs if you squat high, exactly the same as it if you squatted high bar high.
Turning out of the feet shoudl be avoided.

Eventually you will hit a point where, in order to go any lower, you'll have to either let your back round or let your knees move forwards.

Incorrect, but I think Ive covered it.

If you don't push past this point and instead come straight up, then there will have been a fair amount of tension on the hamstrings supporting the knees. So long as the weight isn't too much, your knees will generally feel alright with this. Here's why the partial squatters generally think that squatting deeper will mean less hamstring involvement and consequently less knee stability: in order for them to keep their spine in extension, to go deeper from the bottom of their partial squat requires letting the knees come forward, which instantly takes tension off the hamstrings.

bob-harper-02.jpg

^ Not surprisingly, a good partial squat on the interwebs is hard to find. Look at the image on the left and imagine a barbell on her shoulders, with her otherwise being inthe same position. You know that she isn't going any lower without her knees coming forward or her toppling forward into a goodmorning or her lower back rounding and butt winking.

That is a partial.
If she sat back further, she would make depth, keep her shins straight, and mobilty/flecibilty permitting, have no "butt wink" or rounding of the spine.

The partial squat here, which is how I spent 2 years learning it, is somewhat like a deadlift with the bar on your shoulders (not a goodmorning, though). It is not a full squat stopped early. Likewise, simply trying to go deeper into it will not suffice as a healthy full squat, because it is as deep as the hips should go,

Where have you read this?

It will use the hamstrings, and they can be very involved, indeed.
Full squats will also use the hamstrings, however due to the knee position and back angle you will have to go deeper before they kick in. Is a properly executed partial squat safer than a properly executed full squat, or vice versa? I don't know. I'm not willing to tackle that one. But both lifts can definitely be done in a way that is comfortable on the knees, recruits the hamstrings and is relatively stable.

I feel that low bar, shin vertical, full squat (2" under parallel) is the most efficient way to squat. You recruit the hamstrings and glutes, in my opinion, so much more.

Levers are always going to play a role, but if your squatting for athletic performance, powerlifting, general fitness training, low bar back squats is where its at.

Hope this doesnt come across as being a smartarse. Just throwing my 2c in.

Very well put sticky.

Peraonally i dont think theres such a thing as a partial, just a failed rep.