• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best way to measure health and fitness

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
What is the best way to measure health and fitness? Is it by how you feel ?Should you go by BMI? Combo of both?

discuss

BMI is bullshit. By its account I'm clinically obese.

Resting heart rate, blood pressure, strength, endurance and mobility tests would be a better measure.

How quickly one heart beat returns to normal after strenuous exercise, to me - is the measure of health and fitness.

Fitness - Strength, stamina & flexability/functionality

Health - Blood tests, body fat measurements, blood pressure, ecg's, brain scan etc which are more medically tested.

Last edited:
Fitness is subjective. It depends what you do or are training for. Powerlifters are fit for powerlifting whilst a marathon runner isn't and vice versa.

Health is also very hard to pin down. The blood work markers are a good basic starting point but there is so much more and so many genetic differences that changes everything when using goals like we do now.

Fitness is subjective. It depends what you do or are training for. Powerlifters are fit for powerlifting whilst a marathon runner isn't and vice versa.

Health is also very hard to pin down. The blood work markers are a good basic starting point but there is so much more and so many genetic differences that changes everything when using goals like we do now.

Fitness to me is more broad, a powerlifter and a marathon runner to me aren't fit considering the perspective we are trying to look from, because both their training types only involve one thing ( unless im wrong, please state if I am ).

Powerlifters lift heavy ass weight and eat alot of food ( yes there is you porker powerlifters, but then you have the few that are in super shape e.g Stan Efferding ). Then you have your marathon runners who wouldn't be doing any weights (that i'm aware of) and would not know a hell of alot about dieting, they just carb load before races.

Some with all-round fitness, runs, sprints, trains weights, plays differant sports and is just a plain physically active person in every aspect of their life.

Health is harder to hit the nail on the head, every 2nd person these days has some kind of condition which hinders them in their everyday life, and takes away from it somehow. To me I feel health would almost go hand in hand with the type of people that I said were all round fit. You can't really have one without the other, but there is the exception.