• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Modern Manhood Challenge

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
This thread here had me thinking for a while:

http://ausbb.com/general-topic/18707-modern-manhood.html

How could we test mental as well as physical thoroughness in modern man (and women) that would be fair to all, no matter what physical size and relative strength you have.

Then I was thinking about my current training and I was also thinking about things I have read in the past over the years and I believe this here would be a good starting point:)

Step 1

Work out or maximin 1RM lift for each of these lifts:
-Squat
-Dead Lift
-Bench Press

Write down these figures and half them, so if your max 1RM squat is 140kg, go with 70kg etc.

Step 2

Walk into your home gym (yes home gym) or local PTC gym, if you train at Fitness First or another 'chrome and fern land' type set up you have already failed the first part of this challenge:p

Set up three bars for yourself, one on the bench press, one on the squat rack or stands and one on the ground for dead lifting, all bars should be set and ready to go loaded with half your 1RM lifts.

Step 3

Get a plastic bucket (especially if you have recently eaten) and place it in the training area near your three bars.

Step 4

Get under the squat bar and pump out 50 reps without putting the bar down, if you must vomit at this early stage get back under that bar as soon as you are done and continue on.

Once completed immediately jump on the bench press and pump out 50 reps.

Once completed get a hold of your dead lift bar and pump out a further 50 reps.

Only stop long enough to vomit should you have to then continue on.

Step 5

Feel free to skip this step should you feel its not required.

Now after you have completed that complete training session feel free to add any arm curls or tricep supersets you feel you need, but I doubt you will feel you need any after that:p

Step 6

Then come back here and post up how you went and call yourself a modern man/women warrior, as you have demonstrated great physical as well as mental strength and toughness by completing this challenge

Check my training log and you will see I have been doing high rep training. Not his particular set though.

I am looking forward to doing this myself in about two weeks, as that is the end of my current program cycle.

Never thought about timing it, as it's not a race as you have to try and maintain good form, have done 45 dead lifts with about 45% of 1RM and it's a killer, will be doing 50 next week.

I can see timing it becoming a risk factor for injury, as people's form would suffer as speed increases, but if you want to time it go for it I guess.

Can't we just judge people on their 1RMs? anyone who can't 140/100/200 hasn't achieved manhood in my books.

I used to do 30/21/15 reps 70kg deads in crossfit.
You are all a bunch of women!! :p

Except Big Mick....

Bring on the crossfit hate!

Last edited:
So everyone one here is too soft to take the challenge:eek::eek::D

Well today I got home from work, set the bars up, had a drink of water took a deep breath and went for it:rolleyes:

SQUAT - 77kg (1/2 1RM)
25, 15, 10 = 50 reps

BENCH PRESS - 65kg (1/2 1RM)
25, 10, 10, 5 = 50 reps

DEAD LIFT - 90kg (1/2 1RM)
10, 8, 8, 7, 7, 5, 5 = 50 reps

It was a killer, rest between sets were just long enough so I can keep going, my chest was burning, legs were shaking, heart was pounding, it is a killer, I was lying on the gym floor for about 10 minutes after completing it trying to compose myself.....well worth the effort, might even do it again on Friday, depending on how I feel.

The ultimate aim would be to do the 50 reps with no rest, but at least now I can see if I can better this effort by completing the challenge with less rest breaks!!

Big Mick, I thought you said in your original post to do 50 continuous reps?
The above is just a regular routine

Well try it and see how you go, not sure how you train, but usually rest between sets. This is 50 reps with no rest!

If you can do half your 1RM continuously for 50 reps non stop I would love to see it. The way my body feels today I think I might even need extra rest days before I train again, will see how I feel tomorrow arvo.

Last edited: