• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fat Tax

I saw this on the news last night.

You know what's interesting. I suppose obesity related illness is on the rise, as a large percentage of Australian's, regardless of age bracket, are now considered overweight/obese/morbidly obese and super obese. FYI for those playing at home, 10kg over your 'ideal weight' is considered obese, just so we're clear.

With our aging population putting a direct strain on our medical system and the health system continuing to cope with the rising trends in diabetes, arthritis, cancer, respitory disease, heart disease and reproductive disorders..obesity is a 'link' to these diseases and conditions and many more, but can't be considered the specific cause of any of them. Being overweight or obese, certainly exacerbates any medical issues however, THAT we know with some certainty!

So slug the big fast food giants and sell it as a way to assist with the rising obesity epidemic?

My issue with this is twofold :

a) WILL the extra money go directly into our Health System? How? Where will it be distributed?

b) I realise that fast food is not considered healthy, but fat people, get fat and stay fat with an excessive amount of food - period. Whether is McDonalds, KFC, potatos or 12,000 rice crackers a day, topped with 8kg of tuna and washed down with 7 bottles of coke?

Fast food outlets are easy targets to blame for this obesity epidemic. People are responsible for what they put in their damn mouths!

Are they going to slug farmers for producing eggs/chickens/meat/bacon/bread????? Coca-Cola for all the crap they produce that many people wash down their gullets? I mean really, lets get real.

And let's not forget, your size is not a true indicator of your level of health.

They are two seperate matters entirely. Will obesity eventually effect your livelihood? Sure, prolonged and sustained obesity probably does.

But I was 160kg and the healthiest fat person on earth. No high cholesterol, no diabetes, no high blood pressure, not incapacitated, no arthritis, no reproductive issues, no heart disease and no cancer.

In fact I can still remember my GP turning to me with a frown, after giving me a complete health assessment when I went to him to refer me for lapband surgery, he slid his glasses down to the end of his nose and said "Jo, you are the healthiest fat person I have ever seen. You don't need surgery, you need to find motivation and commit to being kinder to your body now that you're steroid treatment is over"

And he was right.

Many people see surgery as a last attempt or resort, not because they're lazy - but because they've spent their entire lives 'failing' at every diet, pill and gimmick they could get their hands on.

Consistently failing, sends you into an ambivilent paralysis, where you just don't believe anything will ever work for you.

The change only comes when you get real, raw and honest with yourself and actually put your desires into action, create consistency and completely commit to your own wellbeing.

I call bullshit on this tax.

My girlfriend is reed thin and eats fast food most days, washed down with a litre of coke! I could out run, out chin an out yoga her arse any day of the week! I could also deadlift and squat her with some ease and she is 51kg!

Your size alone, is not the first indicator of good health.

It aint the food making and keeping people fat : it's the people themselves, making and keeping themselves fat, through poor, uneducated and consistently ignorant choices for their bodies.

The end.

oh yeah? So who comes up with the ideal weight figure?
Cos alot of people here would be right up in the "BMI" numbers but sure as hell not fat!

Less goverment intervention. More personal responsibility.

dont make shit cheap food more expensive. Make expensive good foor cheaper.

If the plain cigarette packaging goes through only a matter of time until Mcdonalds etc will come in plain olive green packets and beer will come in plain labeled brown bottles. Get out of my life Government, let me decide whats right for me ill deal with the consequences.

As long as I dont have to pay for your consequences, thats fine with me....... But I do.

Didnt read the article, but if its about making fast food more expensive, Im all for it. And BB, the comment about "fat people are fat becuase of the volume they eat, not the food" is correct but stupid.
I have NEVER seen a fat person sit down to eat a 2kg pumpkin and cuscus salad, with 2L of water.

I have and do see many, many fat people chugging down maccas and dominos like its going out of fashion.

As long as I dont have to pay for your consequences, thats fine with me....... But I do.

Didnt read the article, but if its about making fast food more expensive, Im all for it. And BB, the comment about "fat people are fat becuase of the volume they eat, not the food" is correct but stupid.
I have NEVER seen a fat person sit down to eat a 2kg pumpkin and cuscus salad, with 2L of water.

I have and do see many, many fat people chugging down maccas and dominos like its going out of fashion.

It's an article about taxing fast food chains Sticky.

And I appreciate what you're saying, but my comment was not stupid. I have lost 82kg and have not once had couscous and pumpkin with water - I would have necked myself at some point!

My point was volume, portion...the food itself is irrelevent! too much of anything is not going to serve your body well. Couscous, potatos, meat, chicken, fish, dairy, ice cream, pizza, burgers, chocolate, banana's....it doesn't matter. You can't eat and drink a ridiculous quantity of food and expect it's healthy for you, irregardless of what it is.

I don't know anyone of my gym friends, who eat healthy, all of the time. For health ; balance and moderation is key.

Losing fat is not about and should not be about deprivation.

It's about balance and moderation.

The sooner people understand that, the better.

Stupid or not, it's the truth.

I'm living proof.

I don't eat McDonalds, because it's shit. But that's my personal opinion.

I did however, have two slices of pizza last night for dinner, a pepsi max and a small side salad.

Fat does not immediately = unhealthy. Sure, it may not look good. But I know plenty of skinny people who are SO incredibly unhealthy, my beautiful mother was one of them!

We, as a nation and human beings, are forced to pay the consequences for others all the time? Alcoholics, smokers, drug users, refugee's, immigrants, criminals, broken families, single parents, disabled people, the unemployed, the elderly...every single day, we pay for all of them, all the time, in every dollar we earn.

Think broadly, people are responsible for themselves. It's not McDonalds or KFC's fault people are fat.

Simple as that.

Im all for making fast food harder to access and less likely to be the 'quick i have no time better eat maccas' but not at the cost of freedom.

If this goes ahead whats the stop GovCo from upping land taxes on anything else they dont like? Pubs? Supre? Motorsport complexes? Where do you draw the line?

I eat maccas, kfc, oporto, subway etc. I know Im fat(ter) because of my food choices and dont look as good as I could. Im OK with that. Everything in moderation. 6 dinners of chicken/steak/roo + veges and 1 night of maccas, Its not ONLY the maccas making me fat.

Its stupid and simplistic to think that making fast food more expensive will overnight end peoples desire to eat shit food. Cigarettes are more expensive every year, people still smoke, booze goes up every year, people still drink.

It's an article about taxing fast food chains Sticky.

And I appreciate what you're saying, but my comment was not stupid. I have lost 82kg and have not once had couscous and pumpkin with water - I would have necked myself at some point!

Thats my point. Fat people eat for taste. Maccas tastes good. Pizza tastes good. Coke tastes good. Put it in front of them, they will demolish it.
Put good, healthy "un-Tasty" food in front of them, I bet they eat far less.

My point was volume, portion...the food itself is irrelevent!

How can you say the food itself is irrelevant?
BRB because instead of eating fruit and vegetables, im going to go and get take away because the food I eat is irrelevant.

too much of anything is not going to serve your body well. Couscous, potatos, meat, chicken, fish, dairy, ice cream, pizza, burgers, chocolate, banana's....it doesn't matter. You can't eat and drink a ridiculous quantity of food and expect it's healthy for you, irregardless of what it is.

Agreed. The point your either missing or ignoring is fat people dont pig out on the healthy food you listed, THEY EAT THE SHIT.
Do you honestly think people could get as fat on rice crisps and tuna as they can with macdonals and coke???

I don't know anyone of my gym friends, who eat healthy, all of the time.

This has relevance on the obese and fast food how?

For health ; balance and moderation is key.

Incorrect.
Please show me where pizza's, ice cream and macdonalds fit into health?

Losing fat is not about and should not be about deprivation.

Fat does not immediately = unhealthy. Sure, it may not look good. But I know plenty of skinny people who are SO incredibly unhealthy, my beautiful mother was one of them!

Sorry, you can not tell me that being 40% bf is healthy.
If you genuinly believe that, see a psychologist.

Think broadly, people are responsible for themselves. It's not McDonalds or KFC's fault people are fat.

Simple as that.

Really?
Ok, lets fuck all they dry towns off in the remote aboriginal communities. Ill head up there and sell goon and VB. Ill make a killing.
Its not the brewers fault that they get drunk and rape each others children or fight in the streets, so why should they have to do anything the curb the issues they help create?

Im all for making fast food harder to access and less likely to be the 'quick i have no time better eat maccas' but not at the cost of freedom.

If this goes ahead whats the stop GovCo from upping land taxes on anything else they dont like? Pubs? Supre? Motorsport complexes? Where do you draw the line?

I eat maccas, kfc, oporto, subway etc. I know Im fat(ter) because of my food choices and dont look as good as I could. Im OK with that. Everything in moderation. 6 dinners of chicken/steak/roo + veges and 1 night of maccas, Its not ONLY the maccas making me fat.

Its stupid and simplistic to think that making fast food more expensive will overnight end peoples desire to eat shit food. Cigarettes are more expensive every year, people still smoke, booze goes up every year, people still drink.

Alcohol and cigarettes are taxed very highly.
The cost of sickness is outweighed by revenue.
This is not the case of fast food.

I agree with Sticky on this tax the fuck out of fast food. I do think it should be offset by making healthy food more affordable, get rid of GST on healthy whole foods.

It's bullshit costs me 3 x as much to buy ingerdients and make a healthy pizza then it does to get one from pizza slut.

I'm not going to argue with you Sticky, sorry if that was your aim.

Everyone eats food because it tastes good. No one eats food that tastes like crap because they enjoy it!?

My point is, you can have the things you enjoy and still lose fat. It's not about deprivation. Sorry if you don't get or understand this, but it's the truth.

It's the sheer amount of food you eat.

So one loaf of bread for breakfast, 10 eggs, 3 packets of bacon and 4 cans of baked beans, all washed down with 4 litres of chocolate milk - every morning, for breakfast, is going to make ANYONE fat, followed by their lunch, fruit in between and their dinner. It's the amount of food overall that is the problem. Are we going to tax a bacon and egg breakfast more heavily, because it's less healthy than an apple?

I mean really.

Sure some foods are not 'clean' or healthy' - thus the reason plenty of skinny people suffer from high cholesterol, reproductive issues and diabete's - because EVERYONE eats McDonalds and pizza because they think it tastes good.

I see plenty of fat people at MYOB and Subway too - which are inherrantly healthy food places?

The aboriginal comments I'm not even going to address.

I've had my say.

I don't believe Fast food chains should be taxed 400 times more, because people are fat.

People are fat, because they've made poor choices for themselves, through ALL the food and beverages they consume. Not just because they eat McDonalds or KFC.

So one loaf of bread for breakfast, 10 eggs, 3 packets of bacon and 4 cans of baked beans, all washed down with 4 litres of chocolate milk - every morning, for breakfast, is going to make ANYONE fat, followed by their lunch, fruit in between and their dinner. It's the amount of food overall that is the problem. Are we going to tax a bacon and egg breakfast more heavily, because it's less healthy than an apple?

LOL, you think thats a healthy breakfast??

My god.

I'm not going to post in here anymore, its like smashing your head against a brick wall.

No your wrong won't necessarily make your fat read Fadis 13500 cal diet, he was actually eating something like that for breakfast.

LOL, you think thats a healthy breakfast??

My god.

I'm not going to post in here anymore, its like smashing your head against a brick wall.

No I don't...that's a typical breakfast of a gentleman who used to weigh 185kgs. I read his food diary and there was no contest as to why he had gotten and stayed so big. It was sheer volume of food, but not the food itself?

Eggs are not bad. Bread is not evil. Bakes beans are not bad. Bacon is not bad?

Sorry, am I missing something? If you choose to eat them every day in large quantities, sure...you'll get fat.

The same way if you make a choice to eat McDonalds every day, in large quantities, you'll get fat.

That was my point. The food itself is irrelevent, it's how much and how often you're eating it.

I agree, it is like banging one's head against a brick wall.

I saw this yesterday. interesting.
Charging higher rates to fast food business will filter down to consumers. If a fat kid wants cake. a fat will eat cake. Having said that. Its usually the lower economic areas that survive on fast food. by increasing prices of food. you R actually making the poor poorer. and the honest one time blokes will suffer also.

It's bullshit. When I feel like some fast food why should I have to pay more because some fatties have no self control.

Also what method are they using to determine the number of overweight people. I know according to BMI I am overweight, which I don't really agree with.

They should have BF scales at every maccas that you have to stand on before you can order.

Sorry youre over 15% BF you can only order salads and coke zero.