• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Getting started again........

lindylou

I am re-starting my fitness regime next week after 18 months break. Work, family etc were all contributing factors to being unable to attend the gym, plus laziness crept in as well after time.
My current weight is 60kg's, my height 165cm. I dont feel I am over weight, but I seem to have aquired a spare tyre around the middle area and "junk in my trunk"!!! This makes me very uncomfortable as I have been a fitness enthusiast for the last 18 years, priding myself on keeping fit, eating right and looking ok physically.
Im pretty sure I know what I need to be eating, so thats not really a problem. I am after a good all-over body workout to get me started again for at least the first month or so, then change it around. In the past I have done this for the first 2 months and then I concentrate more on specific body areas per workout, increase my weights and cardio.
My workout times and meal times are scattered due to shift work, but I do try to be consistent when training. I usually attend the gym 3 days per week and walk my 2 dogs daily.
Any advice would be great to get this old girl up and going again.
LIndylou

Hey lindylou (love your handle, it reminds me of my Mumma) nawwww

Welcome to the forum!

LAandE has linked you to a good strength training beginners program.

But what are your goals exactly? To do weights, build muscle and continue with cardio to shed any unwanted kilo's that have crept on?

Obviously diet is going to be important for you and you've said you already have that down pat, which is great.

In addition to the link LAandE posted for you, there's some interesting one's in the bodybuilding section too, if you're a beginner, depending on what your goals are.

http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9660-beginners-look-here.html

I really encourage you to check out the diet and nutrition section of the forum as well for anything that may interest you or assist you in your journey.

In my experience, balancing my macro's and calories has been an all important part of continued weight loss to help me reach my goals. Combining weight training is also an important part of that, so I completely understand where you're coming from.

It sounds like you have a long history of health and fitness to draw from and the good news is, the body remembers well, you just need to give it what it needs :)

Congratulations on getting started again and best of luck with your goals! Nice to see another girl knocking around the joint ;)

Im pretty sure I know what I need to be eating, so thats not really a problem.

I am after a good all-over body workout to get me started again for at least the first month or so, then change it around. In the past I have done this for the first 2 months and then I concentrate more on specific body areas per workout, increase my weights and cardio.
LIndylou

Best to post your diet up if your only "pretty sure"

Hi LinyLou and welcome!

First off, I'd have to agree with hyjak about your diet. if a "spare tyre" is one of the things you're aiming to get rid of, 90% of that effort will be diet related. For sure.

As for your training, what have you done in the past? Depending on what you specifically wish to achieve, you'll need to match your programs to those goals.
Are you looking to workout with a trainer or are you OK with going it alone?

Please don't say you're an old gal cos we're the same age and dammit, I don't feel old!! ... OK maybe very occasionally :)

Thanks everyone for your replies,
My diet is fairly simple when Im training. Breakfast usually consists of oats, morning tea is banana or other fruit, lunch can consist of a salad sandwich on multi grain, chicken and lettuce, egg and lettuce or salad. Can also be either tuna and rice, tuna and vita wheat or tuna and salad. generally a boiled egg in the afternoon and dinner usually consists of steamed chicken with steamed veges eg : brocolli, carrots, asparagus, spinach etc. I do like to have dark chocolate as well. Always have a free day, usually Sundays where we can have whatever we like in moderation.
My older gym routines usually consisited of 20-30 mins cardio, followed by weights, bench press, SLDL, military press, squats etc. I do like to do walking lunges, lat pull downs, assisted chin ups, bent over rows ..................
I generally train alone, its hard to have a training partner when you do shift work. Im happy to do that.
At the moment, as I have not done any training except walk my dogs daily, my diet has not been so great (hence the spare tyre), so I will not post what I have been doing over the last year or so!!!! I know Ive been bad, I dont think I will advertise that :)
I am not a calorie counter, never have been, but have always relied on my body to let me know what it requires and how much, and have always found I get good results when training with this routine. I always eat very clean, drink lots of water when needed, and I will supplement if I feel I need it. Im not into big muscles, just toning and looking fit.
I do and will appreciate further support once Im up and going again completely. I really dont know if I should change anything because of my age, I dont feel I need to at this stage, Ive always been fairly strong in my upper body, shoulders, arms............but my lower back can give me grief due to an old injury, so core strength is a must!!
Cheers guys for your advice.

Last edited:
In my experience, managing my macro's and calorie consumption has been an all essential aspect of ongoing weight-loss to help me reach my objectives. Mixing body building is also a significant aspect of that, so I know where you're coming from.....

Welcome back to the exercise routine. It is hardly tough to come back at routinely exercise work out because work out need proper time for better body figure. Why not you apply previous work out plan? If you feel it good at that time then it save time and you can start work out with out losing any more.