• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

how to fix lordosis

bulker

been doing , 3 sets of 10 reps pelvic tilts

3 sets of 10 laying leg raises

1,1,1, sets of 10 reps y, w,t , y ( laying face down strecthing shoulder into air tightening glutes

3 sets of 10 layleg curls

been doin this three times a week before weights workout . any tips feedback much appreciated. only just started lifting

Depends on your reason for your lordosis? Hip flexors tightness, weak abs, weak ass etc

Squat

And

Stiff legged dead-lifting is a beginning

Stop doing ab crunching or any direct ab work

been doing , 3 sets of 10 reps pelvic tilts

3 sets of 10 laying leg raises

1,1,1, sets of 10 reps y, w,t , y ( laying face down strecthing shoulder into air tightening glutes

3 sets of 10 layleg curls

been doin this three times a week before weights workout . any tips feedback much appreciated. only just started lifting

What's your workout, forget that other stuff.

been doin a full body three times a week all compounds

would say i have weak abs skinny with a beer gut , hamstrings seem tight can barely touch toes , im 6 foot and 80 kg .

why no direct abwork .

I have this also being an office worker. I believe it's a case of short hip flexors for me so I do hip flexor stretching a fair bit (as part of Defranco's agile 8).

Any other tips as I already squat and SLDL a lot :p

Office worker here as well.

Hip Flexor stretches. Groin Stretches. Lower back stretches. Foam roll upper back. Shoulder mobility. When I do all of these regularly my posture is much improved.

Lifting weights as well of course.

Office worker here as well.

Hip Flexor stretches. Groin Stretches. Lower back stretches. Foam roll upper back. Shoulder mobility. When I do all of these regularly my posture is much improved.

Lifting weights as well of course.

I may be doomed. I do this stuff every day already!

Hip flexor stretches alone only fixes one side of the equation. You need to strengthen the antagonist muscle - the glute.

You will find that tight hip flexors inhibit glute activation while weak glutes will lead to tight hip flexors.

Strong glutes will also help correct anterior pelvic tilt.

Squats and deadlifts don't actually use a heap of glute activation. Squats are mostly hamstring at the glute tie-in, with a fair bit of quad. Deadlifts are better for glutes but you can get very strong at them without using much glutes if you have a very strong back and hamstrings.

This is a good glute activation/strength protocol IMO: T NATION | Dispelling the Glute Myth

Glute bridges and hip thrusts are great provided you do them properly. If you have lordosis you will be inclined to use your hamstrings or lower back to do them instead of glutes, so you need to be very conscious of using your glutes properly. If your hammies burn out and you don't feel a burn in your glutes, you're not doing them properly.

sweet. Already do a fair few of them as well just need to be more consistent with my glute bridges. Thanks!

I have this also being an office worker. I believe it's a case of short hip flexors for me so I do hip flexor stretching a fair bit (as part of Defranco's agile 8).

Any other tips as I already squat and SLDL a lot :p

It generally won't be just one main cause i.e. short hip flexors (as mentioned).
Look up a good psoas stretch, as an office worker im sure this is dominant/shortened.

Also, although I never get a good enough stretch look up some tensor fascia latae and TBL stretches (I prefer a foam roller on the outside of the leg).

Stretch lower back and strengthen core.. it is important your not only targeting rectus abdominis (outer anterior abdominal layer) - this can make your sway back look worse... e.g. being excessive with the sit ups and crunches but lateral/oblique work with some side planks and as mentioned gluteal bridges (progress to one leg off ground whilst maintaining core stability). Even for lateral strengthening things like one arm cable rows etc...

To finish off correcting the muscle balance as mentioned above deep squats are good, anything that really works the glutes! Sitting on them in the office all day really plays around with their recruitment and calls them into being a passive muscle instead of the dominant, correct firing muscle they should be working like.

Ensure if you have rounded shoulders/forward head poking - common in office workers you work on these too as posture is inter-related (kinetic chain) - problems with lordosis effect problems else where and visa versa and will play around with your movement patterns during exercise.

--
Chris.

Last edited:
Things the often cause lumbar lordosis:

- Tight hip flexors
- Tight erector spinae
- Weak abs
- Weak glutes and hamstrings
- Thoracic kyphosis
- Laziness

Lumbar lordosis can be caused by any of the above, in isolation or combined together, and may have other causes as well.

For tight hip flexors, obviously stretch them, but specifically emphasise creating and maintaining a posterior pelvic tilt while you're at it. Attempt to hyperextend your hips as you stretch. People often try to make a lunge stretch better by leaning forward, but doing so does nothing to enhance the angle at the hip. Staying upright and simply pushing your hips forward will do much more to help the issue.

Tight tight erector spinae, sit down on the floor, hug your knees to your chest, drape your torso over your thighs and inch your feet forwards. I find that this stretch comes on subtley, but as my back relaxes it becomes a great stretch.

For weak glutes and hamstrings, do exercises such as glute bridges and reverse hypers. Like with hip flexor stretches, attempt to hyperextend the hips (not the lower back) in order to get optimal glute recruitment.

For weak abs, start with something fluffy like bird-dogs, then progress up to kneeling or incline prone holds, then flat prone holds. Progress when your posture in each exercise says it's okay to do so.