• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Performance for Football players

I would like to continue this thread and put forward to people who have experience with football training to share their experiences.

If you read the blog I was trained at a state level in soccer. We didnt have any strength and conditioning program, they only tested us (beep test, vertical jump, sit and reach) before making cuts, as a tool to separate players.

I wish I new back then, what I know now.

lol wingman.

You say in that article that you can provide a program for soccer players/teams. Would you care to share some insights into those programs, to kickstart the thread?

I'm interested, coz I don't normally associate soccer with strength training, although you do make some good points in your article. Cheers.

Two things that need to be addressed and that is not for any contact sport is; neck strengthening and grip strength.

Discuss this.

Two things that need to be addressed and that is not for any contact sport is; neck strengthening and grip strength.

Discuss this.

Playing AFL I can see they both would help.

Neck, like you said contact sport, its a safety thing.

Grip, tackling can often be grabbing a fist full of the other blokes jumper as they try and run off and grip strength allows you to hang onto them.

Hi dkd. The way I see it possibly working for us is that we would liaise with the skills coach about their existing training and perhaps make adjustments if necessary. As I've said most coaches know how to get their player to a reasonable match fitness. We could possibly alter their routines to cover player agility as well like cone drills and fast decision making drills followed by specific drills with the ball.

On top of their skills training we could work with them in groups at PTC Perth concentrating on strength endurance, speed and so forth.

We will have players come in on an individual basis too and in that case we can really drill down on what that player needs. We could also work with club physios in rehabilitating players as necessary.

A lot of course will depend on how much a club can and is willing to invest. What we hope is that we are able to get at least some player. Get results and it goes on from there.

Lh I like the topic. Even in soccer neck strength is important. A powerful header is achieved by cervical extension and flexion. A stronger neck means a more powerful header and you would say less likely for injury to occur.

Grip strength for a goal keeper or a player throwing a ball in might also be important.

Yeah I reckon speed and quick reflexes ie sharp lateral movement would be keys in the sport. A good leap would be a great advantage for headers. Tim Cahill is such a little fella but he's so good at getting headers in front of goal. He's obviously skilled with not just the head, but ability to jump.

Speed, reflexes and a good leap.....I find it interesting what type of weight training would help to improve these...not sure.

Maximal strength training obviously not the key area, although will assist with power, which I believe translates to speed.

Hurdles, ladders, sled work, speed squats... etc. As they become more proficient, power cleans and even snatches. A lot of possibilities and variations, the trick is experimenting with the team or individual to find out what works best for them, thats how I would approach it.

Markos made up AAA (c.f. PPP) which was based (IIRC) on Max's requirements for soccer when he was into that sort of thing. I don't believe he ever sold any, though.
At my junior coaching cert last year, the coach (ex top level player and coach) suggested swimmimg/nippers in the off season to retain fitness while developing upper body strength.

Also, during the course there was an emphasis on coaching for soccer as an "explosive" sport. There was an acknowledgement that oldschool fitness/endurance has no place in modern soccer. The training strategies are now around repeated sprint type work.

My point mostly is that new coaching accreditations reflect newer thinking on soccer.

Paullie. That isn't an article: it's an ad. Call it an ad, FFS.

I've had a look at AAA, but the players I know would not be proficient at most of those lifts, hence the need to start them on simpler, less complex exercises.

I agree TLS, explosiveness is definately a part of the game and new techniques of training players are slowly being filtered through, for instance in your course which I think its excellent. You wouldnt happen to have any of the course notes?

I originally wrote the blog post because we run bayswatercity.com which is a soccer WA forum, and I was merely trying to reach out to players on there about how training has changed and the different areas which should be focussed on, perhaps this forum was the wrong audience, didnt mean any harm.

Jr licence I did was for u9 - u12, so most of the materials were based around mini games for developing 4 main areas: 1v1, passing, running with the ball, first touch. And basic goalkeeping.
A lot of the content wasn't in the materials.

Since breaking my ACL a couple years ago, I've become more intertested in injury prevention. Your gym training plays an important (but often overstated) role in this.

Rehab and also prevention is something I look forward to helping people with after my own spout if injury.