• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bloodwork of Long term AAS useage

kingtung

Nice read:

J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2003 Feb;84(2-3):369-75. Related Articles, Links

Reversibility of the effects on blood cells, lipids, liver function and hormones in former anabolic-androgenic steroid abusers.

Urhausen A, Torsten A, Wilfried K.

Faculty of Clinical Medicine, Institute of Sports and Preventive Medicine, University of Saarland, Germany. a.urhausen@rz.uni-sb.de

BACKGROUND: In contrast to the acute effects of anabolic-androgenic steroid (AAS) abuse, the long-term risk profile of former long-term abusers (ExA) is less clear. METHODS: Blood parameters of 32 male bodybuilders and powerlifters were studied. Fifteen ExA had not been abusing AAS for at least 12-43 months on average (mean dosage 700 mg for 26 weeks per year over 9 years), 17 athletes (A) were still abusing AAS (750 mg for 33 weeks per 8 years). FINDINGS: Hemoglobin (+5%), leucocytes (+33%) and platelets (+38%) were significantly higher in A. Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) were higher, cholinesterase activity (CHE) lower in A (65+/-55, 38+/-27 and 3719+/-1528U/l) compared to ExA (24+/-10, 18+/-11 and 6345+/-975U/l; each P<0.001) with normal values for gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (gamma-GT) and bilirubin. ALT, AST and CHE correlated significantly with the extent (duration and weekly dosage, expressed as a point score) of AAS abuse in A (r=0.68, 0.57 and -0.62; each P<0.01). Total and LDL-cholesterol were similar, HDL-cholesterol was distinctly lower in A than in ExA (17+/-11 and 43+/-11 mg/dl; P<0.001) and correlated negatively with the extent of AAS abuse (r=-0.50; P<0.05). Testosterone and estradiol were significantly higher, while LH, FSH and the sexual-hormone-binding (SHB) protein were lower in A than in ExA (each P<0.001). Two ExA had testosterone levels below the normal range.

INTERPRETATION: The alterations in cell counts, HDL-cholesterol, liver function and most hormones of the pituitary-testicular axis induced by a long-term abuse of AAS were reversible after stopping the medication for over 1 year. In some ExA, an increased ALT activity and a depressed testosterone synthesis were found.

It's just too bad that there is alot of damage being done to the heart and arteries when on cycle, great that the levels of cholesterol can return to some what normal but the damage has been done.

Here is a video which explains pretty well how cholesterol works:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnK1Kv3XkZI&feature=related[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK7uriP9PHc&feature=player_embedded"][/ame]

Last edited:
Cholesterol is pretty easily controlled while on cycle
I've made my opinions of long term steroid abuse quite clear in previous threads so I won't go on but I think this is good news for a lot of people who are worried.
Would have been good if the anomalies were given HCG to see if that fixed it though

I would like to see a follow on study on the damages as well of both groups and if repair occurs. More interesting than just blood work.

Steroids are healthy for the human body, they enhance the body and make us stronger thus they are good for us. If your not on the gear then you should be asking yourself this: "why am i not on the gear?"

Steroids are healthy for the human body, they enhance the body and make us stronger thus they are good for us. If your not on the gear then you should be asking yourself this: "why am i not on the gear?"

We're gonna have a chat one day!

Made me laugh. Post of the day.