• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

stress

sookie

what are your coping strategies for stress?

I utilise the self talk method to calm myself down. eg
someone cuts me whilst driving. I can feel the rage fueling my body. my grip tighten on the steering wheel.

I watch my hands tightening. I tell myself to breathe. Its ok David. Breathe.

I use that for almost everything. for other stressful situations. I talk to my partner about my feelings. sounds corny but it works for me.

A shrug of the shoulders gets me by. No need for stress. If something happens just deal with it, don't get all worked up about.

Today someone went ballistic at me whilst driving (because they were impatient) I just smiled at them while the went off and when they were finished I asked them if they feel better now. They didn't because they got so worked up over something so minor. I lol'd and moved on.

For me it's pretty easy.

People drive shit, it's a fact of life. I don't get "stressed" about it, but I have my daily yell or flip of the bird and feel better for it.

If somebody is stressing me out, I try to rectify the issue by talking to the person.
If the issue can't be resolved, I don't see the person again.

If its work, resolve the issue, or leave.

If its a big event your planning, or a business your starting, surround yourself with good people, and the best possible outcome will be achieved. If the outcome isn't what you hoped, pick yourself up, learn a lesson, and then move on.

Life's to short to be stressed. Love your family, eat good food, and lift heavy weights.
Life will then be grand.

stress is all in the mind , it's nothing but an emotion , need to learn how to control your emotions

breathing exercises for me

any kind of physical exercise or exertion.

endorphine release will kick in ftw!

This will help stress.

I usually only feel it at work, in which case I put my runners on and go for a walk around the botannical gardens.

Alternatively I come home and work out.

Or I have a few of orgasms.

All of the above, are excellent stress relievers, as they get the endorpines flowing :)

I think it's important to regularly reflect on all the good things in your life. First and foremost, this means the people you care about. Also, the good things about yourself, whether they be achievements (career, weights, sporting, school...whatever) or personal characteristics (your kindness, humour, determination, persistence....or whatever it is that you see as positive traits in yourself).

If you can learn to recognise the good in your world, then you will generally be calmer and less susceptible to stress attacks. When stressful situations do arise you have to learn to try and put yourself 'outside' the situation and analyse it almost as a spectator....."What's happening here? What's the true cause of this? What's the best solution?"

Due to the gfc a few years ago I took a high stress job because the alternative was unemployment or taxi driving. In the team the different guys dealt with it in different ways. There was chain smokers, alco's, screamers, hysterical laughers and the odd punchy grump. Staff turnover was high but in the 18 months I was there it was only me and two other long term employees that lasted. I used to squeeze grip trainers and pace when it all got too much.

Toward the end I stopped giving a shit just completely stopped caring and I actually got better at the role. The other blokes were both nam vets and seemed to enjoy the stress. They were both really bitter and divorced. I ended up walking away because gradually the stress works it's way into your personal life and you take it home to the family. Nearly broke me and the missus.

I will add it conditioned me to stressful situations now when people around me start flapping I am much better at keeping a cool head and like dkd said looking at the situation from the outside in.

Last edited:
work stress is a new concept for me. its only been in the last 12 months that i've come across it - and only in a management capacity. i can not tolerate working with idiots, game players and lazy folk. just. can't. take. it.

i'm looking at a solo / project role where i can knuckle down and get work done at my pace (fast), to my level of satisfaction (high), and where i can expect my work to be implemented top down and don't have to deal with the fall out.

the stress in my current role (which has nearly broken me) is mostly about KNOWING what we need to do to work better and developing the tools / resources to get there, but being faced with a culture of indifference, apathy, unionism and poor culture.

the stress in my current role (which has nearly broken me) is mostly about KNOWING what we need to do to work better and developing the tools / resources to get there, but being faced with a culture of indifference, apathy, unionism and poor culture.

Spoken with an absolute boss mentality. It's the unions fault cause they won't let you flog your workers harder. A poor culture is not the result of unionism more often then not it is the result of management constantly having the attitude they have to fight the union at every step just for the sake of it.

Some union sites I have worked on were the most productive and efficient sites in the country.and yes I have been on both sides of the fence as both a manager and a drone.

work stress is a new concept for me. its only been in the last 12 months that i've come across it - and only in a management capacity. i can not tolerate working with idiots, game players and lazy folk. just. can't. take. it.

i'm looking at a solo / project role where i can knuckle down and get work done at my pace (fast), to my level of satisfaction (high), and where i can expect my work to be implemented top down and don't have to deal with the fall out.

ah, welcome to the world of corporate culture. This is why I am now an independent consultant. All care, no responsibility.
I can do all that. If they want to play politics, I have to navigate it but don't have to live with it.
i sleep better at night now :)

I think it's important to regularly reflect on all the good things in your life. First and foremost, this means the people you care about. Also, the good things about yourself, whether they be achievements (career, weights, sporting, school...whatever) or personal characteristics (your kindness, humour, determination, persistence....or whatever it is that you see as positive traits in yourself).

If you can learn to recognise the good in your world, then you will generally be calmer and less susceptible to stress attacks. When stressful situations do arise you have to learn to try and put yourself 'outside' the situation and analyse it almost as a spectator....."What's happening here? What's the true cause of this? What's the best solution?"

200% spot on, oh enlightened one!!

Learning to appreciate and be grateful for all the good things (usually the stuff and people we take for granted when under stress) is a great way to regain perspective.

I'm union, I'm certainly not anti union. I'm anti staff refusing to perform tasks in their pd and using the union, call ins, as a means of threatening service provision. Our service is supporting vulnerable youth. I'm anti someone telling me they have 300 hrs of sick leave and will use it to avoid working with specific people/ on shifts requiring certain tasks. I marched with ASU, but I don't phone them everytime I'm asked to do something I don't want to. The culture is one of grass roots bullying, threats and intimidation upwards. They've set it over 15 yrs , I'm 5 months in haha. Appreciate your perspective, but this group is militant, litigious and difficult . I'm fair, reasonable and do my best to walk the line with them when I can.

I'm union, I'm certainly not anti union. I'm anti staff refusing to perform tasks in their pd and using the union, call ins, as a means of threatening service provision. Our service is supporting vulnerable youth. I'm anti someone telling me they have 300 hrs of sick leave and will use it to avoid working with specific people/ on shifts requiring certain tasks. I marched with ASU, but I don't phone them everytime I'm asked to do something I don't want to. The culture is one of grass roots bullying, threats and intimidation upwards. They've set it over 15 yrs , I'm 5 months in haha. Appreciate your perspective, but this group is militant, litigious and difficult . I'm fair, reasonable and do my best to walk the line with them when I can.

Public service? Or privatised gov department? Sorry I have just been on both sides and came out the other end very staunchly union didn't mean any offence, I apologise my tone was rude. I am in management now and if anyone even found out I vote labour I would be out on my arse in a heartbeat

Sounds like government to me wifey!

ALL to bloody familiar.

Which is why I have an escape plan! lol

Come on with the second wave of voluntary seperation packages! This is my nirvana and the ONLY thing keeping me hanging on.........for now! :cool:

Words of wisdom right here!!!

You are correct my friend.

All the stress is in 'YOUR MIND'. When you see every situation
as a learning you are ahead (even if your g/f cheats on you).

Devante.