• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Eman

I'm currently in my 2nd year of a 3yr course doing a Sports and Exercise degree but I'd like to get a head start before I finish as I know it can be very hard to find a job in the industry.

A friend suggested a S&C level 1 course which costs $350-400.

Is anybody here a S&C coach? If so I'd love to know if this course is worth doing, and where I'd be able to use it in terms of finding a job or even work experience.

Thanks.

Callan, Trentzor, Sticky all will be able to help you out.
I was hoping to do the course after June comp.

I believe your doing the ASCA course?

Then if so i found it useful in the theories it provides and some real world examples which applies to athletes.

Level 1 ASCA - standard club level athletes/under 18s etc
Level 2 ASCA - High Proffessional level coaching.
Level 3 ASCA - Olympic level/commonwealth level athletes.

The world of an S$C is cut throat especially in some footbal clubs. I have not worked there but personally know coaches that have been given the boot if the athletes are not performing on field. U will need to be smart and get results ASAP!!

Work Experience
I would work for free under an experienced coach whom has experience in the field that u prefer. This is the best way to learn. Theory is one thing and practical experience is another.

At everyone of these courses. I meet young hopefuls trying to get jobs at example sydney swans/roosters etc as assistant coaches.

Work
From what i know there isn't alot of work for an S$C coach as tbh australia is that massive a sporting nation also due to the small population.
They have a larger crowd for the college gridiron games in the US than they have here at the NRL grandfinal.

Thanks for the reply Trent.

How about working for a gym, like yours or a commercial one? Any advantages that a S&C cert would get over a PT cert?

Thanks for the reply Trent.

How about working for a gym, like yours or a commercial one? Any advantages that a S&C cert would get over a PT cert?

The problem with working at a commercial one is that you pay the gym, not the other way around. Perhaps not at all of them, but ones like Fitness First are setup like that. You pay Fitness First X amount per month to be a trainer there, then you collect from your clients. So you're more of a salesperson.

Everyone has their preferences, but if I was going to train others (I have a couple of quals, none worth mentioning. ASCA is the best imo) it'd be at a strength gym working with sports teams in their offseason. In this segment, ASCA is worthwhile as opposed to the commercial gym scenario where it's probably not.

What I'm saying is, have a think about what you'd like to do then figure out which skills/experience/quals you need to get there. Not the other way around.

Dan and I did the ASCA level 1 S&C on the weekend, and it was very worthwhile.

Trent is right though, its a cut throat industry and even the lecturer admitted to us you dont even need to be all that good to get a job, you just need to be able to network and get your foot in the door. Theres no value in a coach who cant get out there and talk to people and relate to athletes.

For Dan and I our interest is working in the gym and we are going to try and get some teams in the door, and build on that.

Eman I do that same course as you. I'm in third year. Jobs is an issue. I don't know what im going to do after. You have to just keep learning and do the right things. and then if a job opportunity shows up you'll be in a good position to apply.
I did the S&C course last year. It was good. expensive but if that $400 helps you get a a job then its worth it. they also send you info about available jobs in the S&C scene.

Maybe I'll see you around building 20.

right now im looking at either doing honors at the end or masters in clinical exphys

Hey Haz, thanks for the advice.

I've heard how hard jobs are to come by after finishing this course which is why I want to get a start now. I know a girl from work who finished the course with honours but has since gone on to do PE teaching instead, so it worries me a bit.

I'm only at uni once a week (awesome timetable), so I'm in 20 from 10-2 on Wednesdays. How about you?

Last edited:
Damn your awesome timetable. I'm up there on Monday and Fridays. we need participants for a group project, effect of fatigue on hamstring performance, come up from 2-4 (in the next two weeks) if you wanna help a brother out.

we EMG you up, then you do some nordic drops, then you run round and then we test your nordic drops again.

Damn your awesome timetable. I'm up there on Monday and Fridays. we need participants for a group project, effect of fatigue on hamstring performance, come up from 2-4 (in the next two weeks) if you wanna help a brother out.

we EMG you up, then you do some nordic drops, then you run round and then we test your nordic drops again.

I might start going to lectures on Mondays and Fridays so I'll see if I can help. PM me here or email me on 17198514[at]student.uws.edu.au

Just another question, have you used your S&C cert to apply for any jobs yet?

I did the ASCA level 1 course. It's quite ok. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with AFL Tasmania and the my weightlifting club to get my practical hours listed as experience.

I don't know what work is like for those on the mainland. Being a PT / Coach is a bit tricky...and you need to be sure that's what you want to do. I was chatting to a PT mate of mine...who can't train at any other gym except for the one he works out, nor can he provide training at any other venue...except for where he pays rent at. He finds it quite frustrating that the bulk of his clients are soccer mums, overweight people who don't usually follow his programming and that only a small fraction of his clients do the work he enjoys doing. He's locked into a contract...so he's...obviously..locked in!