• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why do women do powerlifting?

DKD

Private Dancer
This is a question that occurred to me a few months back. I can understand guys enjoying powerlifting, with the way it clearly demonstrates levels of strength. For many testosterone fueled dudes it no doubt would be something that gives them a buzz...to see themselves lift hyooooge weights.

For women though, I don't get it. Whilst many men desire strength, I'd say the majority of women mainly desire an attractive body over being able to lift big numbers. Why then do some choose powerlifting? Getting told to stack on weight to help lift bigger numbers....do women do this happily?

Whenever I see a woman that I can tell works out, she invariably has a nice figure, some shape around the delts, arms, butt, legs etc. As a man I find this quite attractive and I wonder why every woman doesn't train to achieve that. If they're an athlete training for specific goals, I could understand, but I don't get why any woman would prefer a 20kg increase on their squat, over a smokingly hot ass. I understand that sometimes these goals can go hand in hand, but when you start talking about packing on weight to lift hyooooge, it's obvious where the priorities lay.

Cometh towards DKD on this.

Can already foresee Viviane coming at me with great fury and venom and comments like 'we don't train to provide eye candy for men'.

Well, you should be!!

Muahahahaha :D

Fuarrrrrrrrrrrk yeaaaaaaah!!

lol

G...I don't think women who lift have the thought of aesthetically pleasing men to be honest. It's all about personal achievements I would imagine? I love DL'ing. It's a rush to be able to increase the weight, to know that you are strong and can be stronger too?
And let's not forget, some of the most amazing female powerlifters I've seen actually do have beautiful bodies and very nice buttocks, they can be tiny girls, lifting huge numbers - which is inspiring in and of itself.

We all know that size has little to do with strength. And I can attest to the fact that the DL at least, works every part of my poor body when doing it.

Competing is different to just lifting isn't it? Those of us who just lift....are weight and strength training.

Those who compete, have very clear goals in mind of numbers they will and must hit to succeed.

And what I love, is that those numbers are very individual for everyone. Based on body size and capacity, overall strength and focused commitment?

So in the end, in truth, training should never ever be about attracting the opposite sex. Whether losing weight, becoming a bikini model, getting stonger, or competing in anything - it's about your willingness to strive for more and better, for yourself.

I am creating myself. And I'm not a Power Lifter. But the benefits of strength training, the buzz it gives me, the feeling of accomplishment and amazement when you can DL 90kg for 5 reps? Yeahhhhh boi! THAT is shit you can't bottle, right there.

And that's a very personal thing.

Do we like men? Sure we do.
But not everything is about men you know ;)
lol

Sometimes, we do things, just for us.

Life is about dreaming bigger, breaking out of your comfort zone, setting goals for yourself and achieving those goals and going way beyond what you ever thought was possible.

Thats the good stuff.

:)

powerlifting isnt about getting fat to lift more, its about getting stronger at whatever weight you are at or wish to be at, nothing is forcing you to gain fat mass in this sport

Last edited:
just because they are girls doesnt mean they dont get the same rush from lifting. theres no greater feeling than getting under some heavy iron. why is it expected that women cant enjoy it?

nothing worse then girls who are like twigs. give me a girl with curves and a squatters arse any day

This is a question that occurred to me a few months back. I can understand guys enjoying powerlifting, with the way it clearly demonstrates levels of strength. For many testosterone fueled dudes it no doubt would be something that gives them a buzz...to see themselves lift hyooooge weights.

For women though, I don't get it. Whilst many men desire strength, I'd say the majority of women mainly desire an attractive body over being able to lift big numbers. Why then do some choose powerlifting? Getting told to stack on weight to help lift bigger numbers....do women do this happily?

Whenever I see a woman that I can tell works out, she invariably has a nice figure, some shape around the delts, arms, butt, legs etc. As a man I find this quite attractive and I wonder why every woman doesn't train to achieve that. If they're an athlete training for specific goals, I could understand, but I don't get why any woman would prefer a 20kg increase on their squat, over a smokingly hot ass. I understand that sometimes these goals can go hand in hand, but when you start talking about packing on weight to lift hyooooge, it's obvious where the priorities lay.

Cometh towards DKD on this.

Can already foresee Viviane coming at me with great fury and venom and comments like 'we don't train to provide eye candy for men'.

Well, you should be!!

Muahahahaha :D

Fuarrrrrrrrrrrk yeaaaaaaah!!

ahem

hello Sweetie ;)

well ... women who train simply to have an attractive body, don't "train".
I'm not quite sure what it is they do but who cares...

Women who train do so for fitness, health, and to be STRONG ... usually.

I can't speak for powerlifters ( cue Karen/Deep) but for myself, I train so I can DO stuff, not LOOK LIKE something in my imagination.

Weez already eye candy, G.

We like to lift weights and train because it's what the human body is designed to do.
We have to lift stuff and carry it around all day. Women just as much as men.
I'd argue we spend more time lifting stuff above our heads than guys do especially around the house :p

Aesthetics are a side issue .. a nice little bonus. But if you only train for aesthetics, you probably have some issues to deal with, male or female.

It doesn't have to be about ego either.
I love getting stronger and being able to do things I may not have been able to do before. You just feel great.
Ditto all my friends, and trainer friends too (some of whom are athletes, powerlifters, and have competed in strongman comps).

note also that relative strength-wise, women are stronger in the lower body than men, just as the opposite is generally true. So why should we not want to be our best?

See? no venom. no fury.

PS expecting an eloquent apology speech, set to music, with video and a full dancing chorus line on "that other thread of remorse" lmao :D

just because they are girls doesnt mean they dont get the same rush from lifting. theres no greater feeling than getting under some heavy iron. why is it expected that women cant enjoy it?

nothing worse then girls who are like twigs. give me a girl with curves and a squatters arse any day

ok hang on a sec there...some of us twigs didn't choose to be twigs ... sheesh. picking on the little gals....

*blows away on a gentle breeze of logic*

What a silly thread.

The reason's are the exact same as it would be for a male.
Dominating PB's.

I also can't believe you think that powerlifters must increase their weight...

Seriously man.

What a silly thread.

Dominating PB's.

Seriously man.

thank you, sir :)

I would think it's the same as for any athlete in any sport...to always outdo your own best.

a little part of me died when he fell for the "all powerlifters are fat" stereotype

Well I think it's obvious from the PL's on this very forum, that not all them are overweight? And so what if they are? All bodytypes can Power Lift - it's just like any other sport? Some footballers are fat, others are tall and lean, others are short little nuggets who are packed full of muscle - each of them have strengths and weaknesses - I think any sport is exactly the same?

Lift away folks! lol

What a silly thread.

Dominating PB's.

Seriously man.

Where did I say they 'must' increase their weight. It's an aspect of the sport, and I commented on it.

I'm not fuarrrrken stupid pal, I know the reasons for competing are the same. I just don't see why, as a woman, you would bust your ass in the gym for years to hit certain numbers. I think, especially as a woman, that you would be wanting to get some aesthetic return for your efforts....hence why I would've thought it'd make sense to focus your training in that direction.

Obviously people have different goals, so good luck to them. We're all entitled to our opinion, but my opinion is I don't understand why a woman would focus her efforts primarily on strength gains, ahead of physique gains.

I disagree with Viv's comment that you have issues if your focussed on training solely for appearance. I also don't understand why anyone would cite the benefit of lifting some random domestic item over your head, with say 6.4% improved ease, as a worthwhile reason for busting your ass for years, or being able to lift your mate's couch 12 seconds faster when helping him move at some unknown point in the future. I think it'd be better to get some visible gain from all your lifting efforts. But that's just my opinion....my view has always been slanted in that direction.

ahem

hello Sweetie ;)

well ... women who train simply to have an attractive body, don't "train".
I'm not quite sure what it is they do but who cares...

Women who train do so for fitness, health, and to be STRONG ... usually.

I can't speak for powerlifters ( cue Karen/Deep) but for myself, I train so I can DO stuff, not LOOK LIKE something in my imagination.

Weez already eye candy, G.

We like to lift weights and train because it's what the human body is designed to do.
We have to lift stuff and carry it around all day. Women just as much as men.
I'd argue we spend more time lifting stuff above our heads than guys do especially around the house :p

Aesthetics are a side issue .. a nice little bonus. But if you only train for aesthetics, you probably have some issues to deal with, male or female.

It doesn't have to be about ego either.
I love getting stronger and being able to do things I may not have been able to do before. You just feel great.
Ditto all my friends, and trainer friends too (some of whom are athletes, powerlifters, and have competed in strongman comps).

note also that relative strength-wise, women are stronger in the lower body than men, just as the opposite is generally true. So why should we not want to be our best?

See? no venom. no fury.

PS expecting an eloquent apology speech, set to music, with video and a full dancing chorus line on "that other thread of remorse" lmao :D

You're a legend VB. :)

Yes, you Ausbb women ARE MOST DEF eye candy....I love youse all. ;)

I didn't expect any good to come from this thread, but I still went for it anyway...muahahahaha.......will at least be some more fuel for my apology thread...that's fo sho. :D

a little part of me died when he fell for the "all powerlifters are fat" stereotype

I didn't fall for it champ....I've been around the forum long enough to have seen plenty of the pics...some well built blokes out there, a few well cushioned blokes too ....lol...all strong obviously.... but anyway.

G...there are no stupid questions....only stupid answers ;)

Your thread lives and I thought was a decent one and a fair enough question. I guess, like anything else, not every woman is the same, or looking for the same results or wanting to be strong for the same reasons?

Perhaps we can get a female Power Lifters opinion someday? THAT would be great :)

Where did I say they 'must' increase their weight. It's an aspect of the sport, and I commented on it

No it's not.
You need to be the right weight for your height, if you are at the weight already, you do not need to increase bodyweight.

I'm not fuarrrrken stupid pal, I know the reasons for competing are the same.

Well then you must have the answer to your own question then.

I just don't see why, as a woman, you would bust your ass in the gym for years to hit certain numbers. I think, especially as a woman, that you would be wanting to get some aesthetic return for your efforts....hence why I would've thought it'd make sense to focus your training in that direction.

So it's ok for a guy to train hard to get stronger, but not a girl?
So then by your logic guys should not train for looks, only women?

Obviously people have different goals, so good luck to them. We're all entitled to our opinion, but my opinion is I don't understand why a woman would focus her efforts primarily on strength gains, ahead of physique gains.

Is this a serious paragraph? If so its so full of dumb.
Your first line says people train for different goals..... Then you say you don't understand why they don't train for aesthetics..... They obviously want to get strong. This is their goal.

I disagree with Viv's comment that you have issues if your focussed on training solely for appearance. I also don't understand why anyone would cite the benefit of lifting some random domestic item over your head, with say 6.4% improved ease, as a worthwhile reason for busting your ass for years, or being able to lift your mate's couch 12 seconds faster when helping him move at some unknown point in the future. I think it'd be better to get some visible gain from all your lifting efforts. But that's just my opinion....my view has always been slanted in that direction.

You can think what you like DKD, but the fact is, this is the strength sub-forum. People posting in here spend their time in the gym to get stronger. Whether it be for sports performance, making day to day life easier, recreational lifting to beat PR's, or because they actively compete in PL.

I think training for years to look like a puffy G.I Joe is retarded. If you never attain the puffy G.I Joe stats, then I think it's even more retarded..... But that's why I stay in this forum.

I didn't expect any good to come from this thread, but I still went for it anyway...muahahahaha.......will at least be some more fuel for my apology thread...that's fo sho. :D

So does that mean your trolling in my sub-forum DKD?