• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Good Mornings

Rambodian

No I'm not cambodian
I want to give this exercise a go, I've never done them but would like to.

My questions;

Do you keep your legs stiff or slightly bent ?, (I have been given conflicting advice on this.)

Do you place the bar high or low?

Is it ok to slightly round your back over or do you keep a flat back? (I'm thinking flat, keep it arched a bit)

Some advice please guys, or some vids would be cool. I've checked youtube but I don't really know what to look for technique wise to asses the quality of said vids.

Thx in advance guys
Graeme

Hey Rambo,
I've been taught to lock in the knees on a slight bend. The bar is in high bar position. Bend at the hips till the body is parallel to the ground.
Keep back tight and not rounded.

I friggin hate these, but they beat GHR.....

IMHO - do them the same as you would a stiff leg deadlift - knee slightly bent and locked as per DEEP mentioned :)

Barbell Good-morning

Similarly you can bend your knees more and throw your hips back more to shift the emphasis away from the hamstrings and into the glutes.
Barbell Bent Knee Good-morning

Just like the difference between Stiff-Leg and Romanian deadlifts.

Cues I use are:
- chest up
- back flat
- core tight
- hips back.

Hey Rambo,

I've always been taught that bar should be in same position as you squat in. Knees should be slightly bent and stay locked at that angle for the entire movement, then hinge forward at the hips maintaining straight back.

I prefer SLDL, good mornings aren't too good for people with neck injuries or lower back injuries. With the right weight it will strengthen the lower back as well as hamstrings and glutes.

Forgot to add, keep your chin up during the exercise, look at a spot on the wall and keep eyes fixed on it.

Why these over SLDL, any advantage?

Over SLDL, GM does
Less work on lower back -( Edit: on 2nd thought not really less work on back)
Less work on forearms / grip

So depends on what you're trying to do. GM are excellent for increasing squat / deadlift without working the above.

Last edited:
I can't see how good mornings would help your squat/deadlift considering the weight would have to be quite light otherwise you'd be putting your back in a compromising position given that the weight is so far from the centre of gravity.

Skewz my lack of expertise, but I thought SLDLs are primarily a hammie exercise and GMs lower back??? I didn't see them as inter-changeable. Is I wrong?

Good mornings build the muscles used in squats and deads, its an assistance exercise. I know I do it twice a week in my program, 5x5 on squat days, 8x3 on deadlift days, its to assist the muscle building. Yes more squats = bigger squats, but squats + GM= even bigger squats;)

Skewz my lack of expertise, but I thought SLDLs are primarily a hammie exercise and GMs lower back??? I didn't see them as inter-changeable. Is I wrong?

Good mornings = hamstrings + glutes + lowerback

I was hoping to isolate the lower back more with good mornings, I do SLDL but really only hit the hammies big time, get carry over to lower back but not as much. So I looked up (google) some excellent lower back exercises and Good mornings kept coming up.
Like I said, I've never done them so was hoping what I have concluded would be correct (form wise). Seems my understanding of the exercise was on the right track.

I have limited equipment, what exercises hit the lower back better than a Good morning?.....

Good mornings target the back more than SLDL, SLDL are primarily legs then secondary lower back and glutes.