• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Founder of Bodybuilding.com Pleads Guilty to Selling Misbranedd Drugs as Dietary Supp

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
thanks to viviane, over on the Ausbb facbook page for linking to this article

BOISE – Bodybuilding.com founder and CEO Ryan DeLuca, 34, of Eagle, Idaho, pled guilty yesterday in federal court in Boise to five misdemeanor counts of introduction and delivery for introduction of misbranded drugs into interstate commerce, U.S. Attorney Wendy J. Olson announced. The five charges are all violations of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. As part of the plea, DeLuca agreed to pay a $500,000 fine. The United States agreed to recommend that DeLuca receive probation and not be sentenced to any prison term.

The plea agreement states that during the time DeLuca served as Bodybuilding.com's chief executive officer between 2007 and 2009, the company sold five products as dietary supplements when they were actually drugs under the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. According to the plea agreement, the products were drugs because they contained synthetic anabolic steroids or synthetic chemical “clones” of anabolic steroids that were not dietary supplements and because they were labeled and promoted as products intended to affect the structure and function of the human body. The five products were: I Force Methadrol, Nutra Costal D-Stianozol, I Force Dymethazine, Rage RV5, and Genetic Edge Technologies (GET) SUS500.

The plea agreement states that in the first seven and one-half months of 2009, Bodybuilding.com had gross revenue of almost $1.8 million from the sale of products similar to those DeLuca admitted were improperly sold as dietary supplements. The plea agreement further states that during 2008 and 2009, the FDA compliance officer at Bodybuilding.com informed Bodybuilding.com's management, including DeLuca, that some of their products contained ingredients that did not qualify as dietary ingredients.

April 10, 2012: Founder of Bodybuilding.com Pleads Guilty to Selling Misbranded Drugs as Dietary Supplements

Amazing really.
having such a successful business why would you risk it.
I guess FDA regulations don't help.
So many loopholes in their laws.

Amazing really.
having such a successful business why would you risk it.
I guess FDA regulations don't help.
So many loopholes in their laws.

why would you risk it ?? hhhmm good question i think it comes down to greed more money you have the more you want

i guess when you also need to recoup 100million dollars that was paid for bodybuilding.com

Funny thing is that lots of other supp shops were selling these products..Prosecute them too.

Funny thing is that lots of other supp shops were selling these products..Prosecute them too.
go after the big fish and the rest will follow (hopefully) , but yeah pretty screwed up how they only target one company

I like how he could buy himself out of jail time...... This world is run by money and if you have enough the law no longer applies to you.

i guess by going after the big fish it would act as a deterrent for all other players in the supplement retailing market as well!