• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

waking up sore

callan

The official ghetto booty
lately iv have been waking up very sore, not the normal DOMS after a workout, but just very stiff in my neck and back, also for the first like 5 mins of waking up i get pain in my chest if breath deep, not sure what is causing it. (i fall asleep on my side and generally wake up on my back)

i was assuming the stiffness was from the comp, the first night/morning after i could barley move my neck for the firs 10 mins of being awake, but i thought any affects from the comp would be gone by now, apart from the time it takes everything to 're-boot' and get strength back, if not possibly my bed?? (got a new bed a few months back)

When i unracked the bar wrong for a squat, I had pain in neck and shoulders for 2 weeks after, mostly in the morning and after training.
Could be worthwhile to go see a sports injury physio, I did and i don't regret it!
If your parents have health cover there may be a benefit to get a session cheaper.

I get this sometimes, usually after OH presses. Maybe just have slightly pulled something in the neck mate. Never heard of the issue with breathing though, if it worries you, get it checked out.

lately iv have been waking up very sore, not the normal DOMS after a workout, but just very stiff in my neck and back, also for the first like 5 mins of waking up i get pain in my chest if breath deep, not sure what is causing it. (i fall asleep on my side and generally wake up on my back)

i was assuming the stiffness was from the comp, the first night/morning after i could barley move my neck for the firs 10 mins of being awake, but i thought any affects from the comp would be gone by now, apart from the time it takes everything to 're-boot' and get strength back, if not possibly my bed?? (got a new bed a few months back)

hey callan...hmm typically the cause is the opposite of what you're feeling. If you're getting a pain in your chest, but routinely feel stiff in the neck and back - it's likely to be your back that's the cause, lots of nerves and ligaments run through there and often pinching a nerve, like Grippy said, can cause chest pain when you lay a certain way,or move a certain way.

When you stand upright, put your arms out in front of you, then raise them, slowly and see at which point you feel any pain? If nothing. Put your arms out to the side of your body...again, raise them slowly...and determine at which point you feel any pain?

Typically, with a pinched nerve, you'll feel the twinge immediately at the point when raising your arms. This could be because of overtraining for your comp, or it could have happened at some point during your lifts, since then (comp was a little while ago now, Were you feeling this immediately after?)

Heat. And lots of it. Stand under the hot shower and rotate your arms to the height where you felt the twinge. Do this every time you take a shower. I would recommend seeing a physio or remedial massage therapist...but I know you're 16 and may not have the means...typically a pulled nerve will correct itself on it's own. But my concern is, if it's been occuring since comp, it's already been a while.

I just worked on a client on Saturday who had a pinched nerve along side his scapula and was getting immense chest pain because of it. I put him in the shower and massaged him in there. Heat softens and relaxes the muscle...and makes it more pliable to touch and easier to soothe.

The referred pain is almost always in the opposite spot to which the injury is. i.e. if you're having chest pain, it's likely your back. If you're having back pain, it's likely your core or your chest. Shoulder injury in the back, will manifest in the arms, chest and shoulder region...etc...

Do the raising of the arms exercise for me, and let me know how you go?

Good luck.

hey callan...hmm typically the cause is the opposite of what you're feeling. If you're getting a pain in your chest, but routinely feel stiff in the neck and back - it's likely to be your back that's the cause, lots of nerves and ligaments run through there and often pinching a nerve, like Grippy said, can cause chest pain when you lay a certain way,or move a certain way.

When you stand upright, put your arms out in front of you, then raise them, slowly and see at which point you feel any pain? If nothing. Put your arms out to the side of your body...again, raise them slowly...and determine at which point you feel any pain?

Typically, with a pinched nerve, you'll feel the twinge immediately at the point when raising your arms. This could be because of overtraining for your comp, or it could have happened at some point during your lifts, since then (comp was a little while ago now, Were you feeling this immediately after?)

Heat. And lots of it. Stand under the hot shower and rotate your arms to the height where you felt the twinge. Do this every time you take a shower. I would recommend seeing a physio or remedial massage therapist...but I know you're 16 and may not have the means...typically a pulled nerve will correct itself on it's own. But my concern is, if it's been occuring since comp, it's already been a while.

I just worked on a client on Saturday who had a pinched nerve along side his scapula and was getting immense chest pain because of it. I put him in the shower and massaged him in there. Heat softens and relaxes the muscle...and makes it more pliable to touch and easier to soothe.

The referred pain is almost always in the opposite spot to which the injury is. i.e. if you're having chest pain, it's likely your back. If you're having back pain, it's likely your core or your chest. Shoulder injury in the back, will manifest in the arms, chest and shoulder region...etc...

Do the raising of the arms exercise for me, and let me know how you go?

Good luck.
no pains or twinges when raising arms.

will report with how i wake up tomorrow after a decent bench session and some squats

lol cant guarantee it was the pillow though, just coz it worked for 1 night.

but yes, its the simple things lol

probably just the way you were sleeping...and if your old pillow didn't offer enough support, that makes sense :)

The authorities do say we should change our bed pillows every 6 months....but really, who does this?? lol

probably just the way you were sleeping...and if your old pillow didn't offer enough support, that makes sense :)

The authorities do say we should change our bed pillows every 6 months....but really, who does this?? lol
i swapped from a new one to a old one thats falling apart lol so science failed on this one

maybe you had too much support? lol

This is why the ancient japanese sleep on the floor, no pillow, no mattress...just a mat.
It's badarse, but the body remains in natural alignment apparently?

Bella likes her bed and soft pillows and lovely warm covers too much. It's not surprising I am not ancient japanese lol

maybe you had too much support? lol

This is why the ancient japanese sleep on the floor, no pillow, no mattress...just a mat.
It's badarse, but the body remains in natural alignment apparently?

Bella likes her bed and soft pillows and lovely warm covers too much. It's not surprising I am not ancient japanese lol

Now I know why Ancient Japanese people were always so angry and constantly chopping up things with swords lol

Now I know why Ancient Japanese people were always so angry and constantly chopping up things with swords lol

lol

Samurai swords!....yes, they were badarse, sleep deprived and in agony.....their whole lives through :D

thanks for the tip mate :) i can see how 87kg laying on one side all the time could cause some problems on the mattress lol

thanks for the tip mate :) i can see how 87kg laying on one side all the time could cause some problems on the mattress lol

You'd be surprised. I weigh around 105kg and my poor wife weighs 4/5 of fuck all. We have to rotate/flip our bed more often than you'd think. Lol.