• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

In-n-Out Protein style burger

jtaw

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum - thought I'd start by posting a recipe I made today.

I was craving a burger and have been meaning to try making an In-N-Out protein style burger ever since I visited LA last July and had one of their amazing burgers. Not sure of any fast food places in Sydney that do burgers like this, so had to do it alone. I'm currently on a paleo style high protein diet to cut fat - so this recipe is great for that.

In-n-Out Protein style burger

Ingredients

- 200g lean beef mince (as little fat and high grade as possible - shop for 'heart smart' mince at woolies, or coles '5 star mince')
- mixed spices (anything you like, I use salt, pepper, all spice, cayenne pepper and dried rosemary)
- finely chopped parsley, 1 tablespoon
- American mustard, two tablespoons
- whole egg
- onion, grated (tablespoon)
- half an onion, cut into thin rings
- large ice berg lettuce leaf
- tomato, sliced thick
- cucumber, sliced thin
- bacon (optional)
- butter pickles

Method:

1) Start by getting your onion rings in a pan to caramelize – to do this, put them over a low heat for about 15mins stirring occasionally with a tablespoon of butter and a sprinkle of salt. Once they have softened, add a tea spoon of brown sugar (optional) and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Increase the heat slightly stirring regularly, until brown and very soft.
2) Make your beef patties – combine the mince with the grated onion, spices, chopped parsley and mix thoroughly with your hands. Add the egg and continue to thoroughly mix with your hands. Form into 100g balls and place on grill over a medium heat, that has been greased with unsalted butter. Flatten mince balls with a spatula to form a 'patty'. Add a tablespoon of mustard to each patty and when one side has cooked, turn onto mustard side to allow it to cook through. You can add more mustard to the other side and turn again if you wish. Be careful when you are turning the patties - very lean mince isn't great for burger patties - hence the whole egg to hold it together and the well greased grill.
3) Crisp up your bacon (in the same pan as the beef)
4) Assemble burger in a large lettuce leaf – you might need two leaves to a burger to wrap it all the way around. Put the slice of tomato at the bottom, add the first patty, layer with caramelized onions, add the second patty, add pickes, cucumber and bacon (in that order) on top of the second patty.
5) Wrap and enjoy

Notes:

- No cheese in this recipe – you can melt a slice of American cheese over your meat patty after both sides have grilled if your diet permits
- You get a solid 200g of red meat out of this and a whole egg - so it's a good protein hit
- You can add baby spinach and rocket if you wish - sandwich it between the two hot patties with the onion so it softens from the heat.
- Eat any remaining vegetables that didn't end up in your burger.

Last edited:
carb free burgers!!! I remember these in LA! lolol The land of beautiful people ;)

Welcome to the forum jtaw :)

Looks delish!

That's not a burger, there's no bun or roll.

It's mince with some veg.

LOL

Welcome to AusBB

lmao Hammer...yes, that's the point. Everyone in LA is carb free, sugar free, gluten free, with a twist of wheatgrass :D

But the In-N-Out Burgers are sensational!

thanks for the welcomes

and yeah, no bun. BUT it's still a 'burger' - you still get to hold it in both hands and eat it. might not be between bread, but complex carbs are the devil for me at the moment - so this will have to do.

Last edited:
my attempt. No way could I fit 2 burgers in one lettuce leaf. I had to use multiple bits as is. Farkin' tasty!!!

Roo/bacon no bun burgers
2012%2B-%2B1

and seconds for a total of 736cals 125P/18C/15F
2012%2B-%2B1

jzpowahz, they look awesome! same thing with roo mince? I need to try it that way case I get sick of roo steaks so quickly!

and yeah, the lettuce is a bit of a bitch, you need a really good ice berg (by that I mean one that hasn't been destroyed on a store shelf) and can basically only use a few of the outer leaves cause they are the only ones that are big enough

Thanks for the Recipe!! Made up a heap of patties with kangaroo mince!! Taste soooo good!! Awesome (and very tasty) way to keep the carbs down and the protein up :)

These are my efforts with each 'burger' consisting of;

- 100g roo mince patty
- 2 x primo low fat rindless bacon rashers
- 1 x egg white
- 1 x slice of reduced fat cheese (I subsidised the yoke of the egg for the taste/fat in the cheese)
- lettuce wrap
- slab of tomato

Macros as per iPhone app (which I hope are accurate cause this burger rocked!!!)

P67/C8/F12

Pic of what was eaten just minutes ago :)

3aa8569a-2ef5-7f7c.jpg

Thanks again!

My attempt today. Bloody awesome thanks for the idea.

- Lean Beef Mince (Woolworths Heart Smart). Had 550g to start with. Got 7.5 pattys out of that. Each 100g patty ends up 80g beef and the rest is the ingredients below:

- Garlic (3 Cloves)
- Onion (1/4 Large)
- Carrot x1
- Chilli x1 Small Red
- Parsley (3 Tablespoons)
- Egg x1 Whole

Plus 1 Rasher Short Cut Bacon each burger.

Works out 355 CALS / 64 PRO / 3 CARB / 17 FAT (for the two).

burgers1.jpg

burgers2.jpg