• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Live to work, or work to live?

coaltrain

So my parents keep giving me assholes about not saving copious amounts of money, and instead living the high life.
Personally, I fuckin hate working.
So I work to live. I make good money, I spend it and enjoy my time off. Enjoy buying shit I want.
I enjoy doing the things I wana do.

I'm just curious what other people on this forum tend to do.

Are you a workaholic, saving money and chasing the career path.
Or do you do what you need to do to survive, and then some, and enjoy the benefits of the coin you make.

unfortunately these days i live to work but when you have things like mortgages to pay off sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta. i do remedy my heavy workloads with fairly regular holidays though

Coaltrain, you're young & you're earning good money. I think its natural to want to play with it a little & have a good time :)

Your parents are older & wise, when you get to be a fogey like me, you concentrate on life stuff - a mortgage, running your business, kids expenses, superannuation & like hyjack said, try to find some semblence of balance, so its not just about servicing your commitments, but retaining a bit of that element of 'play', so you're also working to enjoy life.

You're in a position now, where you could be setting yourself up for the much longer term & thats probably why your Mum & Dad are on your back?

Parents can be pains in the arses, but one thing we always want, is for our kids to have a better, easier & more comfortable life, than we did.

They love you :)

'Live, Work, Play AND Plan - if you can' thats my motto ;)

Coaltrain, you're young & you're earning good money. I think its natural to want to play with it a little & have a good time :)

Your parents are older & wise, when you get to be a fogey like me, you concentrate on life stuff - a mortgage, running your business, kids expenses, superannuation & like hyjack said, try to find some semblence of balance, so its not just about servicing your commitments, but retaining a bit of that element of 'play', so you're also working to enjoy life.

You're in a position now, where you could be setting yourself up for the much longer term & thats probably why your Mum & Dad are on your back?

Parents can be pains in the arses, but one thing we always want, is for our kids to have a better, easier & more comfortable life, than we did.

They love you :)

'Live, Work, Play AND Plan - if you can' thats my motto ;)

Yea but even when I decide to have a mortgage, that still doesn't entrap me in the live to work field. Il be goin to work to pay the mortgage ad therefore living a good life.
I'm getting more to people who love work. Like, workaholics. Save their coin or are scared to spend it.
I think a mortgage is a good thing.
You'r still working to live.
It's like paying the rent.
Just, my spare money tends to be play money.

Enjoy it mate but remember that it goes for a long time and you want to be able to enjoy the later bits too. Not good to be healthy and 75 and angry at the silly, young prick who spent all your money 45 years ago.

Do a bit of both. If you are making good money then learn to say no to yourself every now and then and put some cash aside into good shares or something else that will be there for you later.

Enjoy it mate but remember that it goes for a long time and you want to be able to enjoy the later bits too. Not good to be healthy and 75 and angry at the silly, young prick who spent all your money 45 years ago.

Do a bit of both. If you are making good money then learn to say no to yourself every now and then and put some cash aside into good shares or something else that will be there for you later.

Yea I guess. I got a mean super tho. But your right. I should. But im terrible at it. Lol

i used to love to work , mainly because i loved the job i was doing i was pretty much living there , it was after i went away for a few days that i realised that once you start putting in lots of hours and always on call etc work expects that from you all the time

Its good to strive for success in jobs where the big money is on offer, i however work in a grocery store and i just laugh at the people taking the job really serious. I let some guy work my shift the other week so i could go train with some of my mates and my supervisor was dissapointed and said to me - you shouldnt be skipping work for gym. At that moment i felt like punching him in the throat... just because he is a loser that has nothing else going on in his life other then work doesnt mean everyone else has to be a loser with no other goals like himself, anyway it really made me angry.

I've hated work since the day I left school, but it was work to live in the early days.
Earning money for the first time and being able to spend it on anything I wanted was a great feeling (as I grew up really poor and had nothing, compared to other kids).
Spent it on cars and mostly gambling back then, continually looking for get rich quick opportunities to free myself from working, they didn't work :(
After a while, virtually all the guys I went to school with had finished their uni degrees and were starting to set up their careers and earn good money.
At this stage, I was still a builders labourer on low $ and this made me feel really bad for missed opportunities by taking instant satisfaction over delayed gratification.

Got married at 25 and was broke, so figured I'd better do something about it.
Since then it's basically been live to work for the past 10 years, but worth it.
Now I have the choice to work or not and can buy or do pretty much anything, anytime I want.

I've hated work since the day I left school, but it was work to live in the early days.
Earning money for the first time and being able to spend it on anything I wanted was a great feeling (as I grew up really poor and had nothing, compared to other kids).
Spent it on cars and mostly gambling back then, continually looking for get rich quick opportunities to free myself from working, they didn't work :(
After a while, virtually all the guys I went to school with had finished their uni degrees and were starting to set up their careers and earn good money.
At this stage, I was still a builders labourer on low $ and this made me feel really bad for missed opportunities by taking instant satisfaction over delayed gratification.

Got married at 25 and was broke, so figured I'd better do something about it.
Since then it's basically been live to work for the past 10 years, but worth it.
Now I have the choice to work or not and can buy or do pretty much anything, anytime I want.

I think this is sorta the best way to do it though...I prob wouldnt get married until I was secure though...but to many ppl finish their degrees at 21-22, get married, get a career and thats their life done and dusted...id rather take a few more yrs, have more fun, then settle down and start to live to work abit more and then as you said have the chance to make the choice if you want to work or not....

I reckon you did it the right way mate! - cant see myself getting married next yr though (25)....would be crazy lol

I think both sides of this argument are wrong, you guys just need to learn how to budget so that you can do the things you're supposed to do and the things you want to do.

I have my salary go into a 'normal' account. I then have 5-6 high interest sub accounts. Every fortnight on my payday, different amounts are transferred to each of these automatically. There's one for my house deposit, one for next travel, one for car expenses, one for going out and a couple others... then what is left in the account is food, petrol and miscellaneous crap that comes up. Nothing is unaccounted for and I don't miss out on anything that I want to do.

When one of the sub accounts reaches the total I need, I go do that thing it was intended for.

I work to live

But for those relying on super......be wary! better to invest in things that pay real dividends as opposed to forced savings IMO.

But life is to be lived, the cost of worrying about being older and than living is sometimes greater than its worth. If you want to travel/do stuff, do it as soon as you can, you will have more fun being young enough to enjoy it and will have something to look back at when your old. Who wants to be old and have no stories for the grand kids. Don't waste youth in an office or work environment, its not good for the soul.

I think its best to be wise with money, but also remember to spend it on things that are worth it.

EDIT: I should say that never be one of those who lives week to week, this is not good for your stress levels and will ultimately lead you no where fast

Last edited:
My missus and I would be in the live to work category at the moment since we are both FIFO, but we go nuts on our RnR...

Unemployed atm, which is boring as fuck (and poor), but when I was working, pretty much saved all my money (20K+) in a few months, but fucking hated it, I didn't last long as the place doing that. Next job, I'mma enjoy it a little more, spend some money, I'm good with money, so I don't really need to worry about saving (it'll happen automaticly) I'll need to concentrate on finding fun/stupid shit to buy.

Best times where when studing and working part time, super busy but always having fun being out somewhere spending money, but still saving a little every week.

The person who said the only constant thing in life is change was talking about my spending habits. I will generally live to work for a year or so then get sick of working so much and go on a spending spree like tiger woods in a sex shop. Then when I'm broke I'll start the process over again.
I lived in China last year and one thing I admire about them is their ability to save money. I remember this homeless guy saying once I save half my pay I don't have enough money to pay for rent or food. They would rather be homeless or starve then not save money. Aussies would always say after rent and food I have no money left to save.

The person who said the only constant thing in life is change was talking about my spending habits. I will generally live to work for a year or so then get sick of working so much and go on a spending spree like tiger woods in a sex shop. Then when I'm broke I'll start the process over again.
I lived in China last year and one thing I admire about them is their ability to save money. I remember this homeless guy saying once I save half my pay I don't have enough money to pay for rent or food. They would rather be homeless or starve then not save money. Aussies would always say after rent and food I have no money left to save.

This is true, i've seen it first hand with some Asian friends. I've seen many people who have an unhealthy relationship with money. The way I see it is yes - you need to be fiscally responsible so you can live comfortably. However, for me, I don't see point in living TOO frugally at the expense of not enjoying yourself. Sure, the bank balance will look fantastic - but you get to 70 and what have you done? Paid interest and capital off a mortgage - all of which will be inherited by your next of kin. Yes, when you become a family man with a wife and kids your priorities change and your focus is them - but if you're not, I say fill your life with as many experiences as you can - so when all you have is arthritis and a rocking chair - you can look back on photos and relive those memories*.

*Pending Alzheimers which is a terrible and sad disease.