• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tell us your strength gains...

NAPARM

Just wanted to hear from you guys what strength gains you got from your first cycle (or subsequent cycles if you got good gains)

What number cycle:
What you ran:
Maxes on squat, bench & dead before cycle & after:

Cheers.

What number cycle: 1
What you ran: 500mg weekly of test e for 12 weeks
Maxes on squat, bench & dead before cycle & after: Before: 140, 120 and 200. After: 160, 137.5 and 230kg.

I would imagine that chucking in steroids would effectively make you a novice again, am I correct in thinking that? If someone is say doing advanced programming such as 5/3/1 and has been training naturally for 3 years for the sake of argument and started taking steroids at about 500-750mg a week total should they carry on with the advanced programming or should they "downgrade" and do something like Texas Method or even Starting Strength instead?

I would imagine that chucking in steroids would effectively make you a novice again, am I correct in thinking that? If someone is say doing advanced programming such as 5/3/1 and has been training naturally for 3 years for the sake of argument and started taking steroids at about 500-750mg a week total should they carry on with the advanced programming or should they "downgrade" and do something like Texas Method or even Starting Strength instead?

5/3/1 isnt advanced.

You would just need to lower the volume of the training when coming off...you would not become a "beginner" again...thats stupid...I would hope that you would get to a fairly high level in your training before even touching steroids...more than 3 years of training...

Your numbers will drop of course but if you are smart with your training/nutrition and PCT and even post pct you shouldnt see a HUGE difference...

Last edited:
Doesn't really answer my question though, if you slam 500mg of test a week into your ass you will experience novice gains again for a while, lifts will all increase in a linear fashion etc.. but what I'm asking is should training be adjusted for that or continue on as normal

coming off has nothing to do with it lol

What do you mean by "chucking in" - do you mean taking or coming off? I guess you mean taking by your above comment...

If so - you will be able to train with more volume, which may mean more advanced programs...alot of strength programs the more advanced in some cases means the more volume you do....you would never want to be at a fairly high level, then get on the gas and change to say starting strength...

Train to your goals and train to a fashion that suits you...you dont need to all of a sudden change everything coz your on the gas....as I said though your body will be able to handle alot more volume...

Id just like to add...wouldnt you already know this if you have been on steroids yourself oni?

Not only that, for somebody that "knows lots" about gear, this is a very basic question which should be able to be answered with common sence......

What do you mean by "chucking in" - do you mean taking or coming off? I guess you mean taking by your above comment...

If so - you will be able to train with more volume, which may mean more advanced programs...alot of strength programs the more advanced in some cases means the more volume you do....you would never want to be at a fairly high level, then get on the gas and change to say starting strength...

Train to your goals and train to a fashion that suits you...you dont need to all of a sudden change everything coz your on the gas....as I said though your body will be able to handle alot more volume...

I've never taken steroids for bodybuilding or strength purposes. You either don't understand the question or don't know the answer and are just talking about whatever. I am not asking about volume, if it is a simple question then why don't you answer it instead of talking about volume

Just to make sure you understand further, the novice is described as someone who can add weight to the bar every single session. So if you're natural and doing 5/3/1, what I am asking is that when you go on the gear should you continue on 5/3/1 or would it be worthwhile dropping down to a program that takes advantage of the faster gains

I've never taken steroids for bodybuilding or strength purposes.
If not for bodybuilding OR strength, then what did you take steroids for?

the novice is described as someone who can add weight to the bar every single session.
So if someone's been lifting for a few years AND has been able to add weight to the bar each session then by your definition he's a novice?

Was hoping to get more responses to the original question - Sticky? Joel?
Also do you guys think the higher your lifts are before you cycle the less gains on them you'll get?
Cheers.

If not for bodybuilding OR strength, then what did you take steroids for?

So if someone's been lifting for a few years AND has been able to add weight to the bar each session then by your definition he's a novice?

I've been over this a million times, please work on your memory skills. I did an oral only cycle to peak for a cycling competition and I wasn't lifting at the time

It's not my definition, it's Mark Rippetoe's definition. If you can add weight to your squat 3x a week then you're a novice no two ways about it, it's not up for debate or discussion it is a fact regardless of how long you've been training or how much you lift. It's a good thing anyway, you want to be a novice as long as possible because that is when you make the best gains

Also do you guys think the higher your lifts are before you cycle the less gains on them you'll get?
Cheers.

generally more advanced trainees get a better response to hormones but the strength gains will be slower simply because adding 20kg to a 300kg deadlift is much harder than adding 20kg to a 200kg deadlift. I'd say going from 300-320 on hormones will come slower than 200-220 naturally

I've never taken steroids for bodybuilding or strength purposes. You either don't understand the question or don't know the answer and are just talking about whatever. I am not asking about volume, if it is a simple question then why don't you answer it instead of talking about volume

Just to make sure you understand further, the novice is described as someone who can add weight to the bar every single session. So if you're natural and doing 5/3/1, what I am asking is that when you go on the gear should you continue on 5/3/1 or would it be worthwhile dropping down to a program that takes advantage of the faster gains

If you knew about training and programming youd know I answered the question fairly clearly...

No you would not go down to a lower level program to make more strength gains...as I was saying you would prob (this totally depends on the person) go to a higher level program where you have more workload/volume (your body will be able to handle it due to the steroids) which will create more results...

It doesnt matter if you have used steroids for bodybuilding, strength training, tennis, cycling...you will know your body will be handle more overall volume...if that be longer rides, faster rides, more training days, heavy weights, more sets, more reps.....thats the whole point of steroids...being able to do more + recovering better/faster = better results.

Cheers.

This will totally depend on the person and how they react to steroids...I know guys that are at a fairly high level before using and they may only get 5-15% more outa their lifts, and other guys I know at a sim level have gotta alot more outa there lifts and maybe added 25-30% on there lifts over a cycle...so this is something you will have to wait to see what happens...

Also so many other factors such as your nutrition, rest/recovery, supplements, training program will play massive roles in what will happen with your results of course...the steroids wont just carry your gains...

Its the same when you come off I have seen guys number decrease hugely and then others they dont change much...everyone is diff with how they react to gear so its so hard to say "yes X will happen" ....just prepare everything as best as possible from the drugs your taking to the programing of your training....dont half-ass anything and you should get some good results!

Good luck mate!

This will totally depend on the person and how they react to steroids...I know guys that are at a fairly high level before using and they may only get 5-15% more outa their lifts, and other guys I know at a sim level have gotta alot more outa there lifts and maybe added 25-30% on there lifts over a cycle...so this is something you will have to wait to see what happens...

Also so many other factors such as your nutrition, rest/recovery, supplements, training program will play massive roles in what will happen with your results of course...the steroids wont just carry your gains...

Its the same when you come off I have seen guys number decrease hugely and then others they dont change much...everyone is diff with how they react to gear so its so hard to say "yes X will happen" ....just prepare everything as best as possible from the drugs your taking to the programing of your training....dont half-ass anything and you should get some good results!

Good luck mate!

Thanks for the reply mate, I'm not going on any time soon but am just really curious to see what others get out of a cycle.
Most people I've spoken to have gone on when their lifts were in the middle range, I'm yet to hear from anyone who went on when their lifts were already in the upper range.
If/when I ever go on I'd be stoked with a 10% gain in my lifts.

Thanks for the reply mate, I'm not going on any time soon but am just really curious to see what others get out of a cycle.
Most people I've spoken to have gone on when their lifts were in the middle range, I'm yet to hear from anyone who went on when their lifts were already in the upper range.
If/when I ever go on I'd be stoked with a 10% gain in my lifts.

All good mate! - like ive said everyone is diff and ive seen some huge increases in guys lifts and then not much increase....really depends on the person and how they approach the cycle mentally and how they plan everything out....

What number cycle: 1
What you ran: 500mg weekly of test e for 12 weeks
Maxes on squat, bench & dead before cycle & after: Before: 140, 120 and 200. After: 160, 137.5 and 230kg.

What were you training for? Strength increases or hypertrophy.

I've been over this a million times, please work on your memory skills. I did an oral only cycle to peak for a cycling competition and I wasn't lifting at the time........

It's still not clear though WHAT you actually took steroids for, you say to "peak", what does that mean??
If not for strength so you could pedal stronger/longer, then what?