• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dumbbell Weight Training

P

pbr

I bought myself an adjustable dumbbell set (the kind where you just add extra plates) for Christmas. now that the christmas/new years break is over i thought its about time i put those weights to use , I tried to set up a basic schedule, but I'd like some feedback.

So far:

Day 1: Flat DB Bench Press
Day 2: DB Squats
Day 3: DB Bicep Curls/DB Tricep Extensions
Day X: ... Repeat

I use how ever much weight is needed for me to "fail" at about 10-15 reps., and I usually try to take a quick rest and do an extra set if I'm not too tired.

My question is: is it alright that my benchpress/bicep/tricep workouts are sometimes back-to-back, or do I need to add a "Day 4" to split those two workouts up to allow for more rest. What do you suggest?

Keep in mind that I only have dumbbells. Anything that includes the words "gym" or "professional trainer" are out of the question.

For most people chest and arms are exercised on the same day, often dividing days between upper body and lower body. If all I had were dumbells, I'd focus on dumbell deadlifts, one arm standing overhead press, and arm curls.

For a while I did exactly that, using Pavel's book "Power to the People! : Russian Strength Training Secrets for Every American" as guidance. As for how many reps/sets to do, that depends on whether you're trying to build strength and/or size.

Example: For strength stick with a couple sets of 4-8 reps, never lifting to failure, for both do several sets of 4-8 reps, or for normal bodybuilding with its emphasis on size, do perhaps 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps, more like you seem to be doing (there's a bit more to it than this).

Good luck, and another excellent, more mainstream weightlifting book is former Mr. Universe Bill Pearl's "Getting Stronger". It has a huge selection of exercises and general advice for beginners and experts. Now in his 70s, he's been a vegetarian for decades and still lifts weights quite a bit.

As for deciding if you ever need to add a day between workout sessions, if you find yourself hitting a plateau and not getting any stronger/bigger, consider adding a day of rest/aerobic exercise. Lifting weights every other day is usually plenty.

Thanks for your quick reply.

So what do you think looks like a better schedule?

a)
1: Benchpress/Bicep/Tricep
2: Squat
3: Deadlift
Repeat

b)
1: Benchpress
2: Squat
3: Bicep/Tricep
4: Deadlift
Repeat

c)
1: Benchpress/Bicep/Tricep
2: Squat/Deadlift
3: Rest/Light c

C is much better, as the opposing muscles get a workout on the same day, with squats focusing on quads (among other areas, as it works many muscles), and deadlifts focusing on hamstrings (be very careful about proper form with these). Using those numbers a common setup would be 1, 3 (rest day), 2, 3 (rest day). Play with it and see what works for you.

Thank you very much for the info

Are you meant to work out through soreness, or rest longer?

"It is normal to experience some soreness when starting a new program. Some things that will help alleviate soreness are warming up properly before training, drinking plenty of water, and doing a little more stretching after you exercise.

How sore is too sore to work out? Nobody can really tell you what to do because we all have different physical responses and pain tolerance levels. If your soreness is more of a sharper type of pain or if it limits your ability to move around normally you probably need to take an extra day off and do some light cardiovascular work and stretching. On the other hand if you can move around normally but just feel a little tightness or if you flex the muscle and it aches a little you can go ahead with your training program. Also, as you workout you will actually help to stimulate recovery and help the soreness go away faster!"