• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

strengthen and muscle gain for new starter

mij81

Hi everyone.

I've been going to gym now for 5 weeks, I'm 168 and 70kg. Was 73, so all good.

Looking at muscle gain and the Best way of building upper body for some size but still toned. I've got the legs sorted but would need that added into a weekly plan.

I have a bad habit of sleeping on my stomach which results in having a sore lower back, I'm trying to rectify this issue by building up some core strength.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is advice on the Best weekly plan to suit my ambitions. Lower back is very important to have strengthened to enjoy life better.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

What do you do at the gym?
What approximate % bodyfat are you?
Why do you think you have legs sorted?
What do you think "toned" is?
Back: deadlifts, kettlebell swings.
Core: front squats, overhead squats, strict military press.

Hi Kungfoogoo

Thanks so much for the link mate, was exactly what I was looking for :)
I'm not keen to get massive, so the wisdom of Fadi and the routines specified is exactly what I'm looking for to get my results I'm after!

Strength, CORE strength, muscle gain while losing fat from my potgut haha..

Looking forward to start on Monday and do complete the first 6 weeks!!

Thanks again greatly appreciated.

Thanks hijack, my goal is to build core strength and everything else will follow with different routines I guess.

When your a beginner you need direction on where to start, I know my core isn't the strongest and also have.some lower back pain. Once my core strength builds up, then will look at different routines to build!!

I agree with diet also, I never eat shit food anyway! 4-5 prices fruit daily, meat veg fish chicken for lunch and dinner, rolled oats with honey and berries for breaky, to me that's something I already have under control. Usually eggs on weekends for breaky and also throw a couple in the lunch bag boiled...
Exercising to me will be a part of my life, not a change in my life. That's how I think of it anyway:)

Thanks all for the info again, greatly appreciated.

I'm presuming you would like to see the workout I have planned starting this afternoon.. and not what I've been doing for past 6 weeks!!
Past 6weeks has been getting my body ready for a routime and ensuring I'm ready to take on a routine.

Will post my new routine later today, quite excited to see how I go :) looking forward to building my core strength up first.

You can train yourself to sleep on your side. I found it very easy.

Now it's perfectly natural and I find it very difficult to sleep on my stomach.

So unfortunately haven't made it to my workouts this week, only cardio walking to my training for work. Serious exams completing a mature age electrical apprenticeship. So study been more important this week.

Pretty much what Radi has specified

Squats 4 x 4-7

Wide pull ups ( as many as I can do each set )

Close grip pull up ( as many as I can )

Guided pull up 4 x 4-7

Push ups 3 x 15 ( in between guided pull up sets )

Dead lifts 4 x 4-7

Dips 2 x 4-7

DB BICEP 3 x 8-10

This is what I have planned, so please any info would be greatly appreciated :)

I plan on a five day pw routine so any thoughts on best results or changing a few things and the reason why to split it up is appreciated .

Cheers

Ok first thing when you say you want core strength. Im still not sure what the hell that means. I know all the fitness gurus use it to describe all the retarted balance exercises but what are your actual goals.

Also like hyjack said don't worry about getting too huge. It's not gonna happen.

ok, first thing is i dont want to get big :) i want to be fit and healthy and have the muscle strength to support my physical demand my body requires. as i mentioned earlier, i have a lower back issue from sleeping on my stomach. by sleeping this way the muscles surrounding my spine do not get a chance to relax and are always under strain, so doc says.

he has reccomended core strength, which i believe to be the muscles surrounding any bones in the body, the area that supports your own body weight and demand it requires on a day to day basis.

im not looking at becoming a muscle machine, just a fit healthy strong individual who is happy, a person who has the strength to be physical at work for 11 hour days six days a week abd not feel exausted and body fatigued due to not having enough strength.

i hope this helps

Ok because you said it twice again dont worry one bit about getting too big. It will not happen. It takes most people many years of consistant hard work to even look like they go to a gym. You are not going to get too big.

Find a beginner program based around squat, dead, bench and oh. I like the one in the strength section here, focus on getting stronger. Milk the beginner gains for all there worth then reassess your goals.

Guess what gives you a strong core and builds strength and fitness? Squats and deads.

For the third time, don't worry about getting big. Packing on mass takes a lot of effort, especially in the food department!

Please help me out here and buy this.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Keys-Progress-John-McCallum/dp/0926888013/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332808896&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: THE Complete Keys to Progress (9780926888012): John McCallum: Books[/ame]

I will then be more than happy to then participate, in this thread and answer any questions and encourage you.

if you want core strength mainly, you should do a combination of intermediate to advanced body weight exercises to begin with for 12 weeks. You should then add your weight bearing exercisers into the program. From there you will decide for urself which type of thing your after. Weather it be core strength,agility,balance or mass building and brute strength. good luck

if you want core strength mainly, you should do a combination of intermediate to advanced body weight exercises to begin with for 12 weeks. You should then add your weight bearing exercisers into the program. From there you will decide for urself which type of thing your after. Weather it be core strength,agility,balance or mass building and brute strength. good luck

Wtf??