• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weight training, then cardio? Waste?

Hi all.

I am doing weight training to lose weight and tone up, not trying to be massive just getting my fittness up and looking good.

I do an hour of weight training, then do 20 mins or so of cardio 4-6 times a week.

My question, is doing cardio after weight training canceling out my workout?

I have a little fat to lose which is why I do the cardio. Ive been eating well, cut out carbs and fatty foods. I am a 27 yo male.

Been doing this for around 6 weeks.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

It depends on what your current height / weight / bodyfat are as to which side you wish to bias toward.

But IMHO:

Do HIIT instead of cardio.
Strength train 3-4 times a week on a proper program
HIIT probably 2-3 times a week.

And some of what you mention has more to do with what you eat then how you train. I'd probably start with that.

I often wonder about this, how to balance the cardio with weights. The typical stuff you read is to keep cardio to a minimum to maximize your muscle gains and get big.

However when I look at MMA athletes and see how they train, I notice they look pretty impressive (eg GSP, Lesnar, Sonnen, Maynard, Mendes, Ellenberger etc). They're not BB comp level, but they're better looking than 95% of the guys on the forum, so it makes you think why not do the extra cardio, together with the weights and try and get that kind of physique.

IMHO HOWEVER...

There no problem with it, if your goal is getting your fitness up and bodyfat down then some steady state cardio after weights is fine, aslong as you dont train for longer than the hour of weights and 20 minutes of cardio.

By steady state cardio i mean cardio where you can still have a comfortable conversation but still breaking a mean sweat. I usually put the treadmill on 6.3km/h and max out the incline and brisk walk that for 20 minutes post weights when trying to drop weight.

If you want to get your FITNESS up however, some sessions of HIIT would be beneficial away from weight sessions where you really push yourself cardio-wise.

You'll get the anti cardio brigade stating the case no cardio is necessary to lose fat (this is true).

However, given the information you have provided - I would suggest 45 minutes of intense lifting followed by 15-20 of interval training. Have a solid nutritious pre workout meal.

Don't fret too much about being catabolic and wasting away (the amount of guys at the gym who repeat this to me time and time again is insane - you're not going to waste away if you do 15 additional minutes at the gym).

Get home, have a decent post workout shake (oats, almonds, whey, blueberries etc) and enjoy the benefits of a good rig!

The only cases that i have rerouted doing any cardio on weight training days was for extreme hardgainers (ectos) who weren't putting on LBM.

I often wonder about this, how to balance the cardio with weights. The typical stuff you read is to keep cardio to a minimum to maximize your muscle gains and get big.

However when I look at MMA athletes and see how they train, I notice they look pretty impressive (eg GSP, Lesnar, Sonnen, Maynard, Mendes, Ellenberger etc). They're not BB comp level, but they're better looking than 95% of the guys on the forum, so it makes you think why not do the extra cardio, together with the weights and try and get that kind of physique.
I'm surprised you even asked this. Surplus hormones will keep muscle mass with increased cardio.
;)

Thanks peeps.

All this info is very helpful! Ill keep on with the cardio, maybe have a day of only cardio.

Ive got a 6-8 month plan so hopefully I can tone up nicely by then.

Btw im 164cm and 68kg, if that helps.

Keep the info coming if you have any, Im sure ill be posting a question again.

Thanks again guys.

Unless you actually like cardio or have to eat very low calories to lose fat I would skip the cardio.

Do weights to grow muscle and use diet to lower body fat.