• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adjustable dumbells

Rambodian

No I'm not cambodian
I want to buy adjustable dumbbells that can go up to about 80-100kg each.

Frigged if I can find anywhere that sells such a thing, do you guys know anywhere?

Maybe I have to get some handles made up?

I want them for one arm rows (croc rows :eek:) and bench press, I was looking at Oly handles but they only have 17cm of room on each sleeve which only allows about 60kg each if I was to use 10kg plates, not enough. Besides that the plates would be so big ROM would be affected. Better to have lots of 5kg plates.

G

I've never seen any that can fit that amount of plates, the longest ones I've found can fit 40kg each using 5kg plates

Ironmaster quicklock dumbbells can go up to 165lb but would cost a shit load and be pretty big I'd say.
I have a pair of York 5kg plates that'd be about 10mm thick so you'd be able to fit a lot of them on a dumbbell handle.

Yeh I'm just gonna make my own, will post some pics when there done.

Still deciding on the design, I may use 35mm stainless bar stock and machine the two ends down to 28mm for the weight plates and have a slightly over size handle. But than again, if I used 28mm straight through and just knurled the handle in and put some stoppers on, that would allow a better grip for kroc rows.....Hmmmmm, decisions-decisions LOL. Will have to go and see what standard bar stock they have at my local metal mart and see of its even worth it first I guess.

Mate just make them, then make some more and sell them, they would be worth a few $$$ to the right people.

I got rid of most of my adjustable dumbbells for the same reason, you can hardly put any weight on them, have fixed dumbbells from 5lb to 55lb in 5lb intervals, that I use for my dumbbell work, mainly do higher rep stuff with dumbbells, but would be keen on a set of handles that can go well above that in a 28mm size.

They only go to 50kg max, not bad but no good if you want 80-100kg, thats $250 for still not what he wants.

I say make your own bars:)

I made my own for Kroc rows. Found some about inch thick bar lying around. Cut to the length want. 4 heavy duty hose clamps. Took all of
5 minutes.

I made my own for Kroc rows. Found some about inch thick bar lying around. Cut to the length want. 4 heavy duty hose clamps. Took all of
5 minutes.

Sounds sweet Bazza, I've got an old barbell that I'm gonna cut up and use for a trial run. I've got lots of standard old plates tat I don't use so I might use them for a bit until I make some nicer ones.

Just out of curiosity, what length did you make your kroc row one Bazza?

5 minutes.

Could you post a pic if possible mate? Mainly want to see what sort of hose clamps would be suitable.

I'm limited to db's for bench because of shoulder issues and closing in on the max for my current db's.

I can get 65kg on the ones I got from gym direct. Unless you're roiding I can't see you using much more than that.

If you're really serious though buy the 'big boy' dumbbells from iron mind and get the pancake plates from ABC. I'd say you'd be able to fit 140kg+ on that way.

This may be a suggestion:

standard_bar%20%281%29.jpg

Buy the 140cm barbell and cut it in half.

Then, use the screw collars you get with the bar to make the missing internal stopper, to created the grip section of the dumbbell handle.
Best if you can tack a bit of welding on it for extra safety.

standard_bar.jpg

Then all you need is your end collars to secure plates on.
Cost of bar + collars shown is $36 for AUSBB members.

Thanks guys. I've already got a spare el cheapo bar so I might take a look at that and see if I can sort it out with that. Otherwise, who is selling those bars above Hulk?

jzpowahz, Gym Direct sells those standard bars pictured.
There's probably other sellers too with similar bars.

I ghetto engineered some db handles out of shit I scavenged just threaded rod, tube and washers from the scrap yard. Will try and post up some pics they are beast strong. You could easy make a kroc row d/b just by using really long threaded rod.

I wouldn't want to DB bench press with a DB held together by a hose clamp or a spring collar...