• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Doorway pull up bars- ant good?

Persistenttiger

Every now and then I have a random desire to do a pull up but have nowhere to do the at home. There's a couple of different style of door frame pull up bars on eBay - does anyone have any experience/advice about them?

Sorry i cant comment on them, but i was very interested in getting them when I first started training. I held back though, coz I thought they'd stuff up my doorway and/or wouldn't hold my weight. I decided to bite the bullet and get power rack instead, with multi-grip pullup bar.

Check local parks for kids playsets, I started my first pullups there. Sprints, pullups, pushups and lunges back to the other side of the park. I never cared what people thought. I've seen too many YouTube vids....

Tiger, if u havent got space I'd be installing a fixed bar if you've got room anywhere.....say back verandah, garage. When I was looking into this I googled home made pullup bars and saw a lot of good tips. Sookies comment is interesting, you don't want the thing crashing on you...fixed is better IMO.

If you have a pergola with beams or similar, Rings are a good idea too, I used these for a little while, then I got a rack.

If you have a pergola with beams or similar, Rings are a good idea too, I used these for a little while, then I got a rack.

Ah yes, we have a pergola - will see if there's anywhere I can slip some rings over. We live in a rental, so don't want to screw anything into walls.

Argh stupid iPad auto- correct.

The thing with those doorway pullups is, although you are 50kgs, your hubby might be feeling strong one day....;)

iv got this for home;
p90x-chin-up-bar.jpg

its alright, the padding has left a mark above the door i use it on, when i use the wide grip it flexes quite a bit (i am about 87kg though lol) it is bent down on one side (my brother gave it to me so im not sure if he accidentally bent it by putting something heavy on it or if hes just a fatty and did it doing chins :D ..... or if i did it hahahahaha)
but yea, it does the job, could fix the black mark from the padding easy by wrapping a tea towel around it or something :)
for the record i have had no 'gym fails' with it LOL

also what DKD said, a fixed bar will always be the better option :)