• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Compression Sportswear

Compresssion sportswear/Skins: Good training asset or expensive gimmick

• Definetly aid in recovery an assist in performance and training

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Expensive gimmick

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

kaz

iLift
Opinions please.....
Have been looking at getting a pair of compression leggings but havent read to many good reviews.....

I have no idea...maybe for top level athletes who need every recovery aid they can get...but for the avg joe...dont know...never got any compression gear and never will...

doesn't really do much. Reminds me of the powerbands people used because they thought it worked wonders. And now theres a new product that is a mouthpiece and claims to increase your reps/strength in the gym.. lol

l think they work a little except people seem to always wear them 'while' training... They're meant to be worn after training. If someone gave me some l would use it but l don't think i'd be buying any myself.

doesn't really do much. Reminds me of the powerbands people used because they thought it worked wonders. And now theres a new product that is a mouthpiece and claims to increase your reps/strength in the gym.. lol

I use powerbands as a fashion accessory lol

I use powerbands as a fashion accessory lol

you find your squat increase 100kg bro?

The magical mouthguard lol..[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHFHy8sK6kk]Train Wicked Mouthpiece Review - 10/10 - YouTube[/ame]

It really depends what you want them for.
For weight training, I don't bother as I personally have not seen any diff.
That said, for RUNNING, they are great. I found I was able to recover more quickly from harder runs and I reduced my ITB issues markedly.

But weight training? Unless you have a specific injury or something that requires additional compression on muscle/tendons in a specific area while doing specific moves, not sure it is going to do much at all.

For wearing post weight training, again it depends on if you have a specific issue to address. Otherwise, not much point.

I think I really want them because of recovery, I cant hardly move today!! Trentzor smashed me last night! No movement in calf muscles or hammies!

I only where compression when running and playing/training for touch rugby.

main reason is to minimise grass burns rather than improved performance.

Also, they don't really keep you warm as they wick sweat, so they make you damn cold. Surprisingly they are great in summer, just wet them with water and you're good to go.

I wear them for running or I get nasty chafing.
also wear them on for squats and deads only because I've split so many of my shorts wide open.

please note I wear them under shorts, not one of those muppets you see running only wearing skins, wtf are they thinking.

Last edited:
People got really sucked into the whole hype of 2XU / Skins. Ultimately they're all combinations of polyamide/elastane. The other marketing jargon and "science" behind them (ie: throwing a few pairs at a university et. al., and and cherry picking any studies which have align themselves with what they're selling).

Just have a look at their new "in flight" skins compression garments etc.

Anyway, after having bagging them - i recently had some sample's done up for myself and compared them to some skins / puma / slazengers. After wearing them for the last 3 weeks in various settings (and reading the research) it seems that compression wear does have some form of tangible benefit. Whether it be psychological (which seems to be the case) and partly physiological (increase in venous return) or a combination of both is yet to be concluded. In terms of performance - me personally (despite what is said) no real difference.

I have noticed improvements in mobility and recovery in my legs after running / squats / deads. Still going to do a few more weeks with them on and off to determine their efficacy. I have about 100 pairs coming in (local football club request) as they swear by them during winter (here I can see a big benefit when you're training in <10c weather) as well as preventing bad chafe.

Anyhow if I have a few spares i'll send out a few to some of you boys for review and testing. The more the better!

I wear them for rugby. I used to just wear cheap bike pants for chaffing but thought I'd give the compression shorts a go. On cold nights I wear the top to training as well. They help keep my gear secure and stop chunks of hair being ripped out of my legs which is handy. No idea on performance aspect but they're comfortable.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

I wear them for running or I get nasty chafing.
also wear them on for squats and deads only because I've split so many of my shorts wide open.

please note I wear them under shorts, not one of those muppets you see running only wearing skins, wtf are they thinking.

Hey! I wear my skins without shorts over them when running! I look hot though, so bllltthh :D
If you're petite, you look more like a muppet wearing shorts over them LOL