• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Coke, Pepsi make changes to avoid cancer warning

kaz

iLift
Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo Inc are making changes to the production of an ingredient in their namesake colas to avoid the need to label the packages with a cancer warning.
The change will not be noticeable to consumers, according to statements from both companies.
Coke and Pepsi said that they had asked their suppliers of the caramel colouring in their colas to alter their manufacturing process to meet the requirements of a California ballot initiative aiming to limit people's exposure to toxic chemicals.
"Consumers will notice no difference in our products and have no reason at all for any health concerns," said PepsiCo spokeswoman Gina Anderson in a statement.
The change is meant to reduce the amount of a chemical called 4-methylimidazole, or 4-MI, which in January was added to the list of chemicals covered by California's Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, also known as Proposition 65.
High levels of that chemical have been linked to cancer in animals.
The California statute says that "no person in the course of doing business shall knowingly and intentionally expose any individual to a chemical known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity without first giving a clear and reasonable warning."
Coca-Cola spokesman Ben Sheidler said the modification to the manufacturing process will have no effect on the formula, colour or taste of Coca-Cola.
Both companies said they started in California, and would expand the use of the reduced 4-MI caramel colouring over time.
Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc said all the caramel colour being produced for it meets the new California standard.
Earlier this week, the Centre for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), a US watchdog group, said it found unsafe levels of the chemical in cans of Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, Dr Pepper and Whole Foods Markets Inc's 365 Cola.
The US Food and Drug Administration said at the time it was reviewing the group's petition but stressed that the drinks were still safe.
An FDA spokesman said a person would have to drink "well over a thousand cans of soda a day to reach the doses administered in the studies that have shown links to cancer in rodents".

well this is curious.

If taking it out, won't effect the colour, taste or formula - why the hell were they using something that can cause cancer in their drinks?

omggggg

lol

water from now on eh deep? lol

I used to, years ago, I loved pepsi max...but I gave it up damnit, cold turkey.

Hi, my name is Jo, I've been off the stuff, for 5 years :)

I remember those days well! lol

Perhaps not now? These companies shit me to tears...why put something like that as an additive, when I'm certain they could get the shitty brown colouring from something else? You know, that doesn't cause the human population to eventually all get cancer because we're drinking it in such HUGE volumes?

I agree with Shrek, am glad I don't drink the shit............umm anymore.
lol

On January 7, 2011, OEHHA added to the Proposition 65 list of carcinogens 4-
Methylimidazole, which is used in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, photographic
chemicals, dyes and pigments, cleaning and agricultural chemicals, rubber, and in certain food
products including caramel coloring, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, wine, and ammoniated
molasses.
not just coke , and it's only california

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-Methylimidazole

There has been concern about the presence of 4-MEI in caramel color (which is the most used food and beverage coloring), typically at a concentration between 50 and 700 ppm.[4]. Dark beers and common brands of cola drinks may contain more than 100 μg of this compound per 12-ounce serving.[1]
At very high doses (360 mg/kg of body weight), 4-methylimidazole is a convulsant for rabbits, mice and chicks, and was the likely cause of acute intoxication observed in cattle fed with ammoniated sugar-containing cattle feed supplements in the 1960s.[4] On the other hand, several studies found no ill effect in rats and dogs for the concentrations found in caramel coloring.[4] A study even found that 4-MEI had an anti-carcinogenic effect on rats.[5][1] Based on these studies, caramel coloring of all types are considered safe. In the European Union the legal limit for 4-MEI in caramel coloring is 250 mg/kg.[6]
However, a 2007 study by the National Toxicology Program (NTP) found that high doses of 4-MEI were carcinogenic in mice and in female rats.[7] Similar effects were observed for the isomer 2-methylimidazole, also found in caramel coloring. It also has been claimed that the reduction in tumor rates seen by Chan and others were due to lower body weight rather than a true anti-carcinogenic effect.[1]
In January 2011 California added 4-MEI to its list of probable carcinogens and stipulated 16 μg per day as the "No Significant Risk Level" intake. This is considerably less than the mean intake of 4-MEI by regular cola drinkers.[1] The food industry has strongly opposed that decision, as it implies the need for additional warning labels on many products, and it disputes the validity of the NTP study.[1] In March 2012 it was announced that both Coca-Cola and Pepsi have had their caramel color suppliers modify their manufacturing processes in order to meet the new California standard; as of the announcement the changes had already been made for beverages sold in California.[8] The recipe is not changing in Europe, so the 4-MEI level will remain the same.[9][10]
http://www.newsday.com/news/health/coke-pepsi-make-changes-to-avoid-cancer-warning-1.3590696
A spokesman for the Food and Drug Administration said the petition is being reviewed. But he noted that a consumer would have to drink more than 1,000 cans of soda a day to reach the doses administered that have shown links to cancer in rodents.
have a read over here , this is the californian law that is banning the chemical
http://www.orrick.com/fileupload/3355.pdf
If a product contains a chemical on the Proposition 65 list, all businesses with ten or more
employees are required to provide a “clear and reasonable warning” before exposing
Californians to that product
So for a chemical that is meant to be so dangerous, but i guess if your company only has 9 people working for it , the chemical isn't all that dangerous after all

Dude everything causes cancer in one way or another.

I drink 5-6 1.25L bottles of Pepsi Max per week. Can't get enough of the stuff.

I'm the healthiest I have ever been in my life.

even squats cause cancer?

I'm pretty sure if you had enough of anything it would cause cancer in some way eventually.

-Headline in the year 2050-
"Life now found to cause cancer, Surgen General recommends to kill yourself before it's too late"

Dude everything causes cancer in one way or another.

I drink 5-6 1.25L bottles of Pepsi Max per week. Can't get enough of the stuff.

I'm the healthiest I have ever been in my life.

This is pretty much my philosophy.

Plus it is about balance. Everything else I do and eat is pretty god damn healthy, so a few cans of sugar free soft drink here and there doesn't really phase me.

Sure it is probably better not to have at all, but I would say I am still light years ahead of your average person in terms of general health / fitness.

I'm pretty sure if you had enough of anything it would cause cancer in some way eventually.

-Headline in the year 2050-
"Life now found to cause cancer, Surgen General recommends to kill yourself before it's too late"

Good call lol