• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why do people use 20's over 25's?

wingman

Super M0derator
Seen this around the place a lot lately. Seems like every one uses 20kg plates instead of 25kg plates, whats the reason behind it?

Feels like I'm the only one who uses 25's. Am i missing something here? Are 20's more cost efficient? more space efficient? what is it?

I'm curious as well. When I got my gear there was 80kg of plates included so I just added 4x25s. It seemed easier to me. I think Olympic lifting uses 25s?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

I don't, I use 25's cause they are awesome. Actually i use both cause I got 4 of each, but prefer 25's cause they are more bang for buck.

I want Ivanko 50s :D FTW

I like the jumps of 20kg plates.
Id rather squat 100-140-180-220 then 70-120-170-220 but that's just me.

We have a large mix of both plates (rubber coated steel, bumpers, calibrated) at PTC

Less plates for a set, up mist gyms I have been in use 20s unless they need huge weights on the bar. I have seen how anoying it is when a bar is full, if there were 25s would enough room.

Less variety of plates I guess

Is 2.5, 5, 10, 20
or, 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25.

Easier to count.

What sticky posted.

My gym only has 20's and 15's..... we didnt even get told we were getting 15's. I once deadlifted with 5kg less on one side of the bar, it hurt my back.... goddamn Fitness first!!!

My gym only has 20's and 15's..... we didnt even get told we were getting 15's. I once deadlifted with 5kg less on one side of the bar, it hurt my back.... goddamn Fitness first!!!

lmao... I lol'ed cos of how dodgy that is...

but still.... the second one side of the dl left the ground and the other didnt wouldnt you stop??

but still.... the second one side of the dl left the ground and the other didnt wouldnt you stop??

It lifted awkward and instead if dropping the lift i tried to correct it. I have since learnt otherwise.....

It lifted awkward and instead if dropping the lift i tried to correct it. I have since learnt otherwise.....
pro tip #1: when the bar lifts awkward, stop and see whats wrong, usually leads to discovers of misload from training partner trying to sabotage :D

In this case, I sabotaged my own lift! Grrrr would have been perfect vid for gym fail thread!