• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pullover

cb64f125-e4e9-0a12.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the machine? its a hammer strength at my local gym. i think the problem is my when i rest my elbows on the pads i can only grip with the tops of my fingers on the bar, i think my arms are too short

the machine? its a hammer strength at my local gym. i think the problem is my when i rest my elbows on the pads i can only grip with the tops of my fingers on the bar, i think my arms are too short

Don't grip the bars, just rest your hands on the side and push through the elbow.

The concept is to not use the arms.

Push all the way to the belly.

Your shoulder must be in direct line with the axis, get someone to check that for you.

Having done all that you will need to significantly reduce the weight.

When someone first get on the machine more so the hammer version, it feels pretty tough by the time the bar touches the belly, but it is most important to do the full range, slowly.

how far back/ over the head should i let the machine take my arms?

That's the kicker with the hammer.
Get someone to push it down, so you don't have to rise out of the seat, make sure your belt is tight.

How far back?

You will notice that after using the machine properly for some time your range of motion will increase and you will no longer need assistance.

The old nautilus machines have a pedal to bring the arm forward, which is even further back.

I have a nautilus pin loaded pullover.

So during the exercise, all the way to the belly (pause) the slowly back as far as you can go.
12 of those.
But do not use the hands, push through with the elbows at all times, right to the last rep.

Great machine - used to have all the Nautilus machines at the Curtin Gym but they got rid of them all such a shame

Last edited:
tried these again today with a much lower weight i got the pain again which seems to shoot down between my bicep and tricep on the outside of my arm. rereading your instructions though andy i think it may be because my shoulders arent "inline with the axis", my elbows see to be sticking out to the side a bit but i think if i tuck them in my elbows will no longer be resting on the pads. also my back wants to arch alot as the machine returns to the starting position should i let it or try and keep my back straight? also what are the main benefits of pullovers? ive never really looked into this....

The hammer pullover is a big machine, all hammer equipment was designed by arthur jones son, Kim wood and ken liestner even had input on a lot of the machines, so most of the machines are actually designed bigger to accommodate the larger biuld american footballer.
The nautilus pullover is a little smaller.

Positioning in the machine is critical.
The axis is the pivot point of the lever, that needs to be in-line with the shoulder.
You'll know it right when your elbow doesn't move when it's on the pad throughout the movement.
The average shoulder width of a man is around 18 inches, if you are under that it might be harder to get the right posisition.
Get someone to stand in front of you to make sure the alignment is correct, if you can get this machine working for it will biuld a very strong back and hits the lats like now other exercise.
Builds incredible lat thickness.
People comment on my barrel chest, but I think I have more muscle on my back the my front.
I often will do these as a pre-fatigue exercise before sets of chin-ups.
Or even the other way around, in fact doing it this way brings a whole new meaning to lat pain I guarantee.

If there is a belt, we're it and pull it tight.
There should not be any excessive movement in the lumber area, a little is fine and good.
You will find you rom will increase over time as your flexibility will improve.

The resistance will feel a bit funny particularly towards the end of this machine, it's different to other pullovers, but after some time you will notice the resistance becomes smooth as your muscles grow in strength.
This is the beauty of the cam.
This is the beauty of the leverage machines in general compared to cables and barbells, jones really nailed the strength curve.