• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Frosted Caramelly Protein Muffins

chocchillimango

Yep they sound girly but they're totally awesomesauce (sets modesty aside) :)

Low fat, no added sugar, gluten free ... totally squeaky clean snack.

The frosting is great on its own as a bonus.

Recipe link (pics and macros attached): Frosted Caramelly Protein Muffins | Chocolate Chilli Mango

Attachments

• Frosted Caramel Protein Muffins_4735_wm_1x1.jpg
    Frosted Caramel Protein Muffins_4735_wm_1x1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Frosted Caramel Protein Muffins_4745_wm_1x1.jpg
    Frosted Caramel Protein Muffins_4745_wm_1x1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Frosted Caramel Protein Muffins_WholeEggVersion_macros.jpg
    Frosted Caramel Protein Muffins_WholeEggVersion_macros.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Frosted Caramel Protein Muffins_EWVersion_macros.jpg
    Frosted Caramel Protein Muffins_EWVersion_macros.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 21
Made these without the frosting this arvo as I couldn't find lucuma powder and didnt want to wait for delivery.

They were very tasty but the berries and dates sank to the bottom leaving the top half a bit dry.

Very light for something I thought would be dense too.

Made these without the frosting this arvo as I couldn't find lucuma powder and didnt want to wait for delivery.

They were very tasty but the berries and dates sank to the bottom leaving the top half a bit dry.

Very light for something I thought would be dense too.

Hey, there ...Yes, they are not meant to be heavy .. I like my muffins light :)

the dates should not sink to the bottom if they are pureed. there should not be any pieces of dates in the mix!! You didn't puree the dates? They act as the sugar substitute.

No berries in the recipe...assume you have added your own?
Baking tip: when adding pieces of fruit to cakes/muffins you should toss them in a little of the dry flour/flour substitute so that they won't sink. :D

I used berries instead of cherries. I didnt know about putting them in the flour though, will definitely try that next time.

Maybe I used the wrong dates (if there are different types) because I couldnt puree them. I put them in the processor but it only finely chopped them. Any tips for that? should I have added water or something?

I used berries instead of cherries. I didnt know about putting them in the flour though, will definitely try that next time.

Maybe I used the wrong dates (if there are different types) because I couldnt puree them. I put them in the processor but it only finely chopped them. Any tips for that? should I have added water or something?

Oh wait, you mean the fruit in the centre? If you left out the lucuma, did you add a little extra oats or protein powder? if not, maybe the batter was too thin? If so, the berry would sink for sure. Also if you hadn't pureed the dates as they would help thicken the batter too.

Hopefully they still tasted OK...although the flavour would be not as sweet and different without the dates through it all and no lucuma. Lucuma is really good...great in anything, especially shakes.

Oh wait, you mean the fruit in the centre? If you left out the lucuma, did you add a little extra oats or protein powder? if not, maybe the batter was too thin? If so, the berry would sink for sure. Also if you hadn't pureed the dates as they would help thicken the batter too.

Hopefully they still tasted OK...although the flavour would be not as sweet and different without the dates through it all and no lucuma. Lucuma is really good...great in anything, especially shakes.

The recipe doesn't say to put the lucuma in the muffin does it? I only saw it in the list of ingredients for the frosting. We did add a little extra protein almond meal and oats.

The issue with the dates was that they wouldn't purée... I don't know how to fix that.

well, it's pretty obvious my brain has left the building tonight. blaming renovations fatigue :-/

re the dates, don't buy dates in plastic packets. way way too dry as they are dried, not fresh. You need to buy fresh dates .. medjools. You can get them at any market, greengrocer and even at Coles and Woolies in the fruit/veg section. they are a fresh fruit. Usually in a box somewhere. These will puree fine in a food processor.
You can add a Tbsp of water if your processor doesn't have much grunt.

Last edited:
These look fantastic. I will have to have a go at these. I am thinking baking apples might be a good addition to moisten the mix too.

These look fantastic. I will have to have a go at these. I am thinking baking apples might be a good addition to moisten the mix too.

you can definitely use pureed apples instead of pureed dates to sweeten the mixture. The muffins are not dry at all...they are very moist. They just won't have that lovely slight caramel note to them.
Don't skip the frosting. Wow that frosting is good ... a total fluke, I have to admit but I love making it to have on anything...:D