• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do you or your partner work away from home

RedDog

Comfortably numb
How many people work away from home i.e. Fly in Fly Out (FIFO) or other

If so
How long do you/partner normally spend away from home ?
How long are you/partner home ?
Any negitive/positve aspects to working away ?
How does your family cope ?

I work a fairly decent roster 9 on 5 off. all though 5 days never feels like enough time at home.
The negitives for me are the things I miss out on when I'm away especially my daughters milestones (she's only 14 months old) although my wife is very good at including me as much as possible whilst im away with photos videos etc.
Positives although i'm away 9days I get a full 5 days to spend 100% with my family. I get to train full on whilst I'm at work (nothing else to do unless I want to be an alcho :p) & I'm in a job that I really enjoy plus the money is good too (main reason for me working away).

Family is coping reasonably well at the moment the wife n i talk usually 2-3 times a day. I guess there is just extra pressure put on my wife by essentially being a single mum for 9 days whilst im away.

I have seen a shit loads of peoples relationships ended from working away, this was usually because of the rosters they were on ( eg. 4 weeks on 1 week off) or the relationship wasn't that stable to begin with and working away tipped them over the edge.

Just curious on other peoples experiences.

What are you doing working away mate, do they pay your flights to and from work. No chance family can move over with you. ?

I'm a sparkie by trade but have moved into a technical advisor role with a mining company (Promotion sort of).

All flights are paid for by the company and I only travel on my work days.

I used to have a residential role here (pre baby) but my wife an I wanted to move to Perth for various reasons ( i had been here for 18 years and the wife 6 years)

Now that we have had the bub I'm thinking that this FIFO stuff definately has a shelf life. Just playing it by ear, for now it seems to be working ok for us.

My husband worked on oil rigs and petrol plants for months, was a blessing for our relationship, prior we both worked the same hours and all our spare time was with each other. During his time away I joined the gym and the rest there is history. He worked away 3 months at a time.

i use to work away from home but not to the extend as you. I would "sleep over" 3x a week at a youth residential facility for kids in care. Eg I would start on saturday 4pm and finish 4pm sunday next day. I did this for 18months. Apart from the stress an violence. Being away from my home and partner was the worse part for me.

Used to work away from home, great $$$ and good fun, good for relationship, nearly got divorced when I stopped as we were not used to seeing each other all the time, and she was used to oing her own thing while I was away.

I work away quite a bit. Last week I was in Adelaide, Melbourne, home for Valentines evening, then off again to Brisbane and Toowoomba. Next week Melbourne, then Wagga, Albury and Canberra in the next fortnight.

I love the travel and seeing the sights around the country. I consider myself very fortunate and I also get a lot of benefits through airline and hotel loyalty programs. Having said that though, I do miss the family. I reckon by the time my youngest son (1 yo) gets to around 5-6, the banter and general atmosphere around the house will be too good to leave on a regular basis and I'll reduce the travel significantly.

My partner and I both work FIFO on the same roster, just at different departments. She loves it because she's with me ALL the time....I sometimes long for a bit of space!
The one thing we both struggle with is leaving our home for 9 days at a time..

My husband worked on oil rigs and petrol plants for months, was a blessing for our relationship, prior we both worked the same hours and all our spare time was with each other. During his time away I joined the gym and the rest there is history. He worked away 3 months at a time.
oh i think my bf is heading down this road..
isnt it hard?

i'm an interstate truck driver so am away 5-6 days a week. I hate it. I enjoy the driving trucks hate the job but we need the money and until something at home pops up paying the same or similar money im stuck with it and thats never gona happen. Missing time with my kids and wife whos has our 4th on the way is the hardest part.

ive been working fifo for about 5 years.
used to do a lot of 4weeks on 2 weeks off. always stayed singe.diddnt think it would be fair on anyone i dated and also wouldnt be very good for my own headspace.
now i currently work a 2/2 roster and have a mrs.
its good.
i kinda like it. when i go away we are missing each other like crazy, when i come home its all good times. we date like were new lovers, and fuck like it too.
we get a break from each other lol. which, regardless of what anyone says, i think ya need in a relationship!