• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Olympic dumbbells

DKD

Private Dancer
I'm getting a little shitty with some of my spinlock dumbbells. The plates often loosen in the middle of a set, which is pretty off-putting.

I thought about replacing them with rubber hex dumbbells but the cost of getting a few of them is pricey. A cheaper option would be oly dumbbell handles, as I've already got the plates. I'm not sure if they'd be rock solid though...bit worried the plates might slide on those as well. Anyone used them and can comment?

I'm with the spinlockers, have always thought about oly dumbells but $100 for a set is more plates as far as I'm concerned. I've purchased a second set of standard dumbells for when i have to work with different weights.

tighten them more?
put a layer or two of electrical tape on the threads, then tighten collar over it? (if threads are loose)
put some weak threadlocker on the threads?

don't curl so quickly? :D

I've got a pair of oly dumbell handles from worldfitness.com.au they seem solid but l have to tighten them up now and then though.

Ive got a pair of oly handles, the collars with the T-bolt come loose easily but the barbell spring clips hold plates on rock solid.

Have you tried using the plates to lock them tight (twist the plates, not the collar nut). or replacing the rubber grommet... I'm in the same boat as you, it is a pain in the a**.

What weights are you using??

I bought some cast dumbbells on eBay, still not cheap but they are much better than the spin lock stuff that used to annoy me.

Ive got a pair of oly handles, the collars with the T-bolt come loose easily but the barbell spring clips hold plates on rock solid.

Thanks for the tip on the collars Grip. From the photos of them that I've seen I've always thought T-bolt collars don't look that secure. Good to hear someone confirm it for me.

Thanks all for your input.