• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Suggestions: Home Gym for under $3000

Paradox

Hi all, I'm completely new to the home gym scenario but have been sticking to a 3 day spilt the past year at my uni gym.

I'm using the backyard grannyflat as the basis of the home gym and it is small...about 11sqm. I'm going for the typical power rack/bench/dumbell/barbell combo for starters, currently looking at this Powertec power rack package but it seems like it's overpriced...a lot?

Packages - Free Weight Training - - Powertec Power Rack System Package

Otherwise I was thinking about buying everything separately at thegymandfitness.com.au - anyone have any experience with them?
This powerUSA rack is quite cheap but lacks in options like a pull-up bar, weight storage etc.

Force USA - Home Power Rack Combo

Looking to grab rubber matting and mirrors too.

G'day mate, where are you located?

There's a few on Ebay at the moment, I don't see the need to buy brand new with gym equipment.

G'day mate, where are you located?

There's a few on Ebay at the moment, I don't see the need to buy brand new with gym equipment.

Sydney. Yeah true but I'd definitely want to go with a new and known brand for the power rack.

Iron Edge Elite Bumper Plate Pack - Australian Kettlebells/ IronEdge
Iron Edge Power Bar - Iron Edge / Australian Kettlebells
HPRSP Commercial Power Rack

comes to $2845 with a rack and up to 170kg of bumpers +weight of bar

Commercial Flat Bench with wheels
$295 bench will put u up to $3140

if not that bench id go; (i actually have this bench but i would definitely recommend spending extra - mine rocks side to side)
Flat Bench _FBEV
$135 putting total up to 2980

i would do this (with the better bench) if i was to start over

EDIT: oh and fractional plates;
http://www.kettlebells.com.au/store/2.5kg-rubber-weight-plates.html
http://www.kettlebells.com.au/store/1.25kg-rubber-weight-plate.html

little over 3k with better bench

Last edited:
Well the power rack is one of the most basic pieces of equipment so second hand is not a problem.

There are actually a couple of Powertech's on Ebay at the moment.

Iron Edge Elite Bumper Plate Pack - Australian Kettlebells/ IronEdge
Iron Edge Power Bar - Iron Edge / Australian Kettlebells
HPRSP Commercial Power Rack

comes to $2845 with a rack and up to 170kg of bumpers +weight of bar

Commercial Flat Bench with wheels
$295 bench will put u up to $3140

if not that bench id go; (i actually have this bench but i would definitely recommend spending extra - mine rocks side to side)
Flat Bench _FBEV
$135 putting total up to 2980

i would do this (with the better bench) if i was to start over

EDIT: oh and fractional plates;
2.5kg Rubber Weight Plates - Iron Edge Fitness Equipment - Train Smarter
1.25kg Rubber Weight Plate - Iron Edge Fitness Equipment - Train Smarter

little over 3k with better bench

Take 5% or 10% (cant remember) off anything you buy from gymdirect as well unless its in a package.

Assault rack pack from Iron Edge is good as well if space is an issue with a full cage
If you get it with spotting arms and utility pegs you won't need a bench as you'll be able to do dips instead (presuming you are not a powerlifter)

Assault rack pack from Iron Edge is good as well if space is an issue with a full cage
If you get it with spotting arms and utility pegs you won't need a bench as you'll be able to do dips instead (presuming you are not a powerlifter)
how long has IE had the assault racks? would be spewing if they had them when i bought my squat stands if they were available at the time

They only came out mid last year iirc

Ps when getting plates beware that some brands aren't full size (so you'll effectively be doing deficit deads). Another suggestion would be to not get the normal plate configuration you see
Really you just need a single pair of 1.25s, 2.5s, 5s and 10s then stock up on 20s as you need them (so no 15s or 25s)

Last edited:
Really looking forward to getting the iron edge premium pack. Seem to be out of stock at the moment. Was also looking at getting the pendlay bushing bar, however that has disappeared completely. Anyone know if the bushing bar is coming back or Aus KB’s not getting anymore?

Really looking forward to getting the iron edge premium pack. Seem to be out of stock at the moment. Was also looking at getting the pendlay bushing bar, however that has disappeared completely. Anyone know if the bushing bar is coming back or Aus KB’s not getting anymore?
got a feeling the IE bars have replaced the pendlay, hamms should know.
i bought the pendlay HD nexgen, it had no center knurling and that became an issue when squatting...

The plates are in stock the bars are not

As Callan said the IE bars have replaced the Pendlays. We got a bad batch (something like a half dozen got returned bent or collars fell off) and muscledriver were being c*nts so they turfed them (which means that the clock won't be sold once stock runs out either)

I *think* there is a muscledriver distributor in NSW now somewhere but not 100%. Otherwise I have 2 bush bearing bars at home that dont get used much (Glenn Pendlays would probably cry if he saw one of his bars being used exclusively in a torsonator lol)

I'm voting second hand! This is my experience:

started of completely new to strength training and the gym etc about 3 months ago. I started going to my local gym and wanted some equipment to work out from at home.

I bought a crappy bench press with preacher/lat pull down/leg extension + a fair amount of standard size weight for $110 of gumtree.

I used that in combination with my local gym for a month or 2 and then decided to upgrade my home equipment. I managed to sell my original equipment for $250 on gumtree making $150 straight up. I then found a used package on ebay for $400.

It came with:
a power rack,
full commercial incline bench
150kg of the same rubber coated olympic plates you buy from gym direct
olympic bar and olympic dumbells.

So overall i have spend $250 for my setup now. You could do much the same as i have done. With your budget you could even buy yourself some rubber gym mats and also source a second hand 10-40kg dumbbell rack for well under 3k having an awesome setup for a beginner.

The only thing you could really upgrade from this setup is to get bumper plates and a proper bar; but if you are a beginner you will be set with what i have mentioned and should have enough cash in reserve to upgrade to bumpers and a better bar down the track if you find you are serious about lifting.

got a feeling the IE bars have replaced the pendlay, hamms should know.
i bought the pendlay HD nexgen, it had no center knurling and that became an issue when squatting...

The plates are in stock the bars are not

As Callan said the IE bars have replaced the Pendlays. We got a bad batch (something like a half dozen got returned bent or collars fell off) and muscledriver were being c*nts so they turfed them (which means that the clock won't be sold once stock runs out either)

I *think* there is a muscledriver distributor in NSW now somewhere but not 100%. Otherwise I have 2 bush bearing bars at home that dont get used much (Glenn Pendlays would probably cry if he saw one of his bars being used exclusively in a torsonator lol)

Cheers for the info. Had heard good stuff about the pendlay bars but I’m not too fussed. The IE bars look really good quality too. Got my email down for when the bars come in. I just rape the website atm staring at the premium plates.

Currently using an old 8kg standard bar and some old Samson plates. Work sets for bench is about 70.8kgs and that is 6 plates either side haha.

Cheers for the info. Had heard good stuff about the pendlay bars but I’m not too fussed. The IE bars look really good quality too. Got my email down for when the bars come in. I just rape the website atm staring at the premium plates.

Currently using an old 8kg standard bar and some old Samson plates. Work sets for bench is about 70.8kgs and that is 6 plates either side haha.
the only reason why i had an issue with the pendlay was because i was training alone with no safeties, and i train specifically for powerlifting so the moderate whip and no center knurling was starting to become an issue, for anyone doing general training or interested in oly lifts the bar is great.

I posTed a link for pendlay bush bearing bar in the buying a quality barbell. yes muscle driver au is in Sydney. id buy one purely for the fact it provides lifetime guarantee