• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

If you only had a barbell and plates

Rambodian

No I'm not cambodian
If you only had a barbell and bumper plates how would you train your chest?

I know every other body part is doable, even squats could be done if you cleaned the weight up and did front squats. But without a bench how would you train chest?

I ask because this may become a reality for me this year, I may be off to distant remote places chasing work, and will only have a barbell and bumpers to take with me.

I'v thought about this before, can't come up with anything good. Maybe lay on the floor and grab some plates and do flys. If had dumbbells do dumbbell floor press with a wide grip.

Or I was thinking maybe take my car jack stands, they would allow a floor press, they are just high enough when fully extended and could fit in my ute tray box with the bumpers.

Or what about just doing over head presses, would they stimulate chest enough?

That's a hard one.

Apart from the obvious weighted pushups, the only other thing I can think of would be buying some db handles or db set to take as well. That way you can do db bench and flys. You could even get a swiss ball to db bench on. You would just have to blow it up when needed.

Or I was thinking maybe take my car jack stands, they would allow a floor press, they are just high enough when fully extended and could fit in my ute tray box with the bumpers.

Hey mate...

Ive seen Markos comment that there is strong carry over from the over head press to the bench press... And not the other way around... Will see if I can find the comment...

Last I read Rip doesn't bench anymore... He only uses the overhead press...

If it where me I would use over head press... And finish with lots of push ups...

You can also put a plate on your back to load up your push ups... And put your feet on a bench or chair to increase the load...

How long you gone for...

Last edited:
Hey mate...

Ive seen Markos comment that there is strong carry over from the over head press to the bench press... And not the other way around... Will see if I can find the comment...

Last I read Rip doesn't bench anymore... He only uses the overhead press...

If it where me I would use over head press... And finish with lots of push ups...

You can also put a plate on your back to load up your push ups... And put your feet on a bench or chair to increase the load...

How long you gone for...

I believe Markos was talking about strength carryover from overhead to bench press, not so much hitting the pecs.

Increase your overhead numbers and your bench numbers will increase.

The barbell press will sufficiently work the shoulder girdle.

If one wants to increase the size of their pecs, flys and or sphere lifting will directly target that area.

How long you gone for...

Nothing set in stone as of yet, but it would be for a year or 2, it did however have me thinking about my training and what I would be able to do with the bare essentials of equipment that would basically live in the back of my ute. So I would take a barbell and 150 to 200kg of bumper plates and my Oly rings that I could find a tree branch or something.

The barbell press will sufficiently work the shoulder girdle.

If one wants to increase the size of their pecs, flys and or sphere lifting will directly target that area.

WTF is sphere lifting Andy, I never heard of it before. Is it lifting a heavy ball or ball shape object whilst laying in the bench press position?

WTF is sphere lifting Andy, I never heard of it before. Is it lifting a heavy ball or ball shape object whilst laying in the bench press position?

Yes Rambo
Dr ken leistner often talks about the act of lifting stones or odd objects will work that area greatly.

Where are you going??

Most places in the country have a gym, even if you only train at a gym once a week and do the rest yourself.

Or

Take soma squat stands ( I just bought some for $20 on eBay) not much bigger than car stands for presses, bench, squats etc.

Where are you going??

Most places in the country have a gym, even if you only train at a gym once a week and do the rest yourself.

Or

Take soma squat stands ( I just bought some for $20 on eBay) not much bigger than car stands for presses, bench, squats etc.

I have no fixed location as yet, but I am currently trying to get into one of the mines as a green horn. This year I will be doing some pre-training in machinery and truck driving etc and getting the usual tickets etc. I don't know if it will actually happen, but I have a couple of mates that have done it. One started out washing trains and now drives a dump truck on 80gs a year, so it can be done....he said remote places give the best opportunities for green horns to get a start.
If the mines don't want me I will use the machinery tickets to hopefully get a start on the roads or with a machinery crew (means traveling allot).

The wife and kids will stay behind as they don't want to move but I can't stand not working full-time and really want to get some money rolling in. There is very little employment where we live and the study I'm doing is going to take another 3-4 yrs part-time so I want to do more than have part-time jobs that pay shit. I need an adventure Mick, and my relatonship is strong enough to handle one especially if there was enough financial encouragement, so who knows where I will end up mate.

Floor Press
Chest Flies
Pull Overs
Overhead press lying on an incline / upper back on wall & feet out front (dunno what this would do to your spine though)
Weighted push-ups
Old timers worked the chest by pushing two plates together and pressing it overhead
Pavels "beyond bodybuilding" book has loads of other ideas..

Probably good enough

I have no fixed location as yet, but I am currently trying to get into one of the mines as a green horn. This year I will be doing some pre-training in machinery and truck driving etc and getting the usual tickets etc. I don't know if it will actually happen, but I have a couple of mates that have done it. One started out washing trains and now drives a dump truck on 80gs a year, so it can be done....he said remote places give the best opportunities for green horns to get a start.
If the mines don't want me I will use the machinery tickets to hopefully get a start on the roads or with a machinery crew (means traveling allot).

The wife and kids will stay behind as they don't want to move but I can't stand not working full-time and really want to get some money rolling in. There is very little employment where we live and the study I'm doing is going to take another 3-4 yrs part-time so I want to do more than have part-time jobs that pay shit. I need an adventure Mick, and my relatonship is strong enough to handle one especially if there was enough financial encouragement, so who knows where I will end up mate.
Cool, sounds like a good plan I traveled for several years working in the communications industry working in country NSW, loved it, but got over it after a few years, now starting to get interested again.

I believe Markos was talking about strength carryover from overhead to bench press, not so much hitting the pecs.

Increase your overhead numbers and your bench numbers will increase.

I'm trying that at the moment, running Smolov JR for military press. Will let you know if it increases my bench press as well as military press.

If you have rings you just need to disadvantage yourself. Ring dips are awesome.

If you have rings you just need to disadvantage yourself. Ring dips are awesome.

Darn straight they are, I started doing them in yesterdays workout. I had to put my feet on a bench for a bit of assistance as I am not quite strong enough yet. But I'm working on it from now on.

G

The press does work the clavicular head of the pecs, but doesn't do much for the sternal head. You could do barbell pullovers for the sternal head.