• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rugby pre season

Beau

Hello,

Rugby pre season training has started and I am a little disappinted in the new coaches spirit. Last year we did little to no fitness at the start of the year only playing touch on most traIning runs. We ended up doing tuesday fitness and intense drills thursday during the finals. This ended up with blokes off injured before games.

So far through the off season i have been working on strength gains eating alot of good food and lifting as heavy as possible. Very little cardio.

I have now jumped in with some boxing circuits and jogging.

I feel pretty good and the fitness is so much better then last year BUT the new coach thinks we trained a bit hard last year so we will be doing it a bit easy this year! I didnt think it could get easier.

With all the great minds on here I thought someone would have some new tricks and tips for a bloke who is getting old. (to old to be mucking around with footy according to the misses)

I play in the forwards but ended up playing in the backs last year. Now i know what your thinking, i must have a bit of speed to be moved out the pretty blokes and you are dead wrong. The 60 old touchy can out run me but i can catch a high ball and occasionally trip a bloke over and call it a tackle. I would like to be a bit more of a back this year so want to do more speed work and trim down abit.

So the new training will consist of more clean and jerks, jump squats, sprints. Basically more explosive stuff a little lighter then my strength stuf but lifting as quick as i can with good form and very little rest.

I am pretty much in the dark about sprint training and figure i may be to old to develop any speed (31)

Any thoughts, tricks, techniques?

First off what can you squat, dead and bench because if you are relatively weak at these you will get some good speed and power gains by simply getting stronger at those. Also losing some body fat if you need to will also help.

For the fitness side of things sport specific drills and running are your best bet. Coaches love doing shit like boxing, bikes and swimming ect. These are ok for the odd change up but you don't swim, bike or box ( most of the time) on the field so they are time wasted that could be used for more specific stuff.

is this league or union?

I would do lifting 3 days a week.

Dont go out and just jog 5km, you don't jog 5kg in a game. Focus on things you do in the game, so sprints ect as bazza said.

Work on your rugby tackling though.. i don't know how you can play rugby without tackling. shoulder into stomach and arms wrapped around bum and squeeze quickly and fall down with him. Just practise on one of your team mates.

You can develop speed at 31.. you need to do sprints at least twice a week though, 3-4 is better.

Wow didn't know thirty one was like being a 60yr old. Get out and sprint like Bazza and Liam have said. Work on repeated sprints with short rests, long sprints, short high rest sprints, if you can run a respectable 3km it can help your fitness levels but keep it rare in your training once you can.

Basic strength exercises such as squats, deads, presses are good use the explosive stuff as assistance work. Forget clean and jerks and look towards explosive high pulls, power shrugs or weighted jumps. They are less technical and easier to do and get the same if not better benefit. Jumps wise stick to broad jumps.and jumping over things for power and short hops with lots if change of.direction for agility. Try to work this stuff into your program as either part of your strength or conditioning sessions so that they don't eat into your time and make training harder to commit to.

Yes 31 has started a thing called injuries.

Thnaks for the thoughts. I have planned to do lifting one day, sprints the next with some cardio and on the weekend a little boxing cardio. I swim and kayak so all of that will help. A bloke has sleds and ropes so will give that a go.

I will get some times for my 50 and 100 and try and post up some training and times in a month. I will loose alot of xmas cheer over the next few months so that will help.

Haha buddy I play rugby so i dont have to tackle!

Thnaks for the thoughts. I have planned to do lifting one day, sprints the next with some cardio and on the weekend a little boxing cardio. I swim and kayak so all of that will help. A bloke has sleds and ropes so will give that a go.

I will get some times for my 50 and 100 and try and post up some training and times in a month. I will loose alot of xmas cheer over the next few months so that will help.

what?

You need to lift more. If it makes it easier do your sprints at the end of your strength session.

Yeah buddy, if you want to play league but cant tackle, union is perfect.

I have about 10 kilos to loose which will help the speed.

Thanks again.

uhh.. what? I played union and i had to tackle lol

I can't tackle for shit either, but squats helped me clean out after someone else has made the tackle. Also lifting in the lineout was a breeze. Basically a strong back and strong legs make rugby more fun and I only need to be fast enough to catch the backs before a turnover. I play country rugby though and I'm not sure anyone else in the comp has done a squat apart from getting off the couch to go to the fridge.

No team this year due to lack of numbers so we're whoring ourselves out to the other teams. Also no team training because I work nights now so I'll have to train on my own, should be an interesting season.

yeah probably lol. Even though your not meant to shoulder charge in union theres always some guy running around shoulder charging and lightly touching you with their hands.

We get a few islanders who are used to playing league, they're mental. I remember a young bloke try it on my mate and he stopped dead, so did everyone as though the whistle had gone, and said to the ref "you sort him out sir or I will" it stopped after that.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Just coming into the next season now for me. First time actually starting to shape up as a serious player. 13kg weight increase (83kg) and definately much stronger, Can see a difference already just have to see if my training will incorperate into game time. Still a lot of fitness to catch up on and maybe if I pick up some speed I might find myself being a much better centre this year.

18's, reserve grade and 1st grade is just around the corner only one more season of juniors. hopefully I can make it count