• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gillard and Abbott trapped by protest

walt

DuffProteinMan
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQvHGMMWYAQ[/ame]

gillard729-420x0.jpg
Julia Gillard is dragged away from the protest by her security officers. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

About 200 protesters trapped Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Opposition Leader Tony Abbott in a Canberra restaurant before police arrived to clear a passage for the pair.
The protesters, from the nearby Aboriginal tent embassy, banged on the three glass sides of The Lobby restaurant chanting "shame" and "racist".
Ms Gillard and Mr Abbott had just spoken at a ceremony for the inaugural national emergency medals.
Advertisement: Story continues below
At least 50 police, including the riot squad, were called to the scene soon after 2.30pm.
The two leaders, protected by police and security officers, escaped through a side door after about 20 minutes.
Protesters chased their car down the road, banging on its roof and bonnet.
Reports that Ms Gillard was tackled or wrestled to the ground and dragged away by protesters turned out to be false.
7News reported that Ms Gillard may have been tackled to the ground by a protester before being "rescued" but the Prime Minister's office said she stumbled but did not touch the ground.
The protesters were there as part of a march to mark the 40th anniversary of the Tent Embassy.
The embassy is celebrating a 40-year milestone with a three-day "Corroboree for Sovereignty" with thousands of indigenous Australians travelling to Canberra for the occasion.
Tensions boiled over following comments Mr Abbott made in Sydney earlier in the day.
Mr Abbott said he understood why the tent embassy was set up ‘‘all those years ago".
"I think a lot has changed for the better since then," he said.
"I think the indigenous people of Australia can be very proud of the respect in which they are held by every Australian.
"I think a lot has changed since then, and I think it probably is time to move on from that."
For many Aboriginal people Australia Day is considered Invasion Day.
Earlier on Wednesday afternoon, embassy founder Michael Anderson addressed a rally at the site.
"To hell with the government and the courts in this country. You haven’t got a high hope to take us on," he said.
"We will force these issues.
"Too many of our families have suffered for some bastard to get in the road."

Read more: Gillard and Abbott trapped by protest

Feed 'em to the wolves l say. They're both useless as each other, if voting for a different person acutally made a difference the government would make that illegal as well. Theres no good choice with those two.

Cool article though, thanks for posting.

Pretty shameful from whatever way you view it really. I don't like Julia but I don't think that protesters should carry on like that either. TBH, I think she deserves to get ousted, but that's what free elections are for. This sort of behavior is akin to what those third world countries do. The only thing that happens then is that the pollies distance themselves from the people even more, its a loose-loose situation.

Shameful way to end Australia Day...

This will make headlines around the world tomorrow...

IMO This does not represent what aussie is all about...

Shame shame shame.......

the cops should've gone hard arse on the protestors , pull some moves out from the wrestling one arm clothes line body slams , choke/sleeper holds

i am all for protesting for changes , but some of them take it to the extreme and need to be dealt with

apparently they are going to be there again today, I would have thought they'd all be back at work....oh, wait a minute.....

OK...half Asian, my Mum's Filipino...

Not directedat you Dicko but it makes me laugh when people of mixed nationality address them selfs as being only from one, as a example the companies around where I work ie RioTinto, Woodside, BHP etc have aboriginal work ready programs which I think is great. But you wanna see half the people in those teams, some look like they are Nordic albino's and then you have full blown ranga's. But the system is up for abusing.

Not directedat you Dicko but it makes me laugh when people of mixed nationality address them selfs as being only from one, as a example the companies around where I work ie RioTinto, Woodside, BHP etc have aboriginal work ready programs which I think is great. But you wanna see half the people in those teams, some look like they are Nordic albino's and then you have full blown ranga's. But the system is up for abusing.

I understand mate, I'm not normally one to go around saying I'm cos I certainly dont bloody look it hahaha
I have seen the other side of these trainee programs where a 'white' aussie will work his butt off around town for years, living in a blood caravan, waiting for their chance, only to be told he can't have a job because of his skin colour! Then, often (not all the time) the ones who get the jobs, dont turn up, are lazy and end up quitting...
For the record, I'm def not a racist, have many friends from every corner of the world, the big difference is, we treat each other as equals...something that rarely happens in this world.

Last edited:

Well said FST_99 and much more diplomatic than I was thinking. After seeing those "indigenous" protesters at canberra I should start ticking that box on the application forms too. They would shit themselves if they saw one of the real indigenous long grassers up here.

On a different note and completely off topic hows that cyclone looking for you in the pilbara. I'm getting reference checked at the moment for a job on barrow island but think the job wont be happening anytime soon.

A guy i know/went to school with (not a friend) has a job at Rio purely because he is 1/8th aboriginal. The guy is dense as anything and his on 80+k a year. I know certain companies have to hit a 'quota' of indigenous people if you're working in 'their' area but it seems a bit ridiculous at times.

He also gets a free fishing license because he is 1/8th. Not sure how much they actually cost though.

I know certain companies have to hit a 'quota' of indigenous people

You're spot on mate, it's this quota that sometimes excludes someone more qualified for the job...not their fault, they deserve the chance too, but everyone should be considered equally