• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Please critique this workout

D

delta

Thank you in advance.

I am 6'2", 196lbs (down from 205). I have an athletic looking frame, am a little softer in the pecs & abs than I'd prefer (all decreasing with upped cardio & diet), but I'm nitpicking. I'm toned, trying to be more toned. My workouts vary from week to week, but basically:

I exercise approx 6 days/week, lifting every other day, cardio on all days, with plenty of stretching every day.

Day 1 - shoulders, legs - approx 1hr15 minutes. Bike for 40-50 minutes.
Day 2 - 30 minute core workout - 1 hour running.
Day 3 - chest, triceps - approx 1 hour15min. Bike for 40-50 min.
Day 4 - abs, legs - 30 minutes. 1 hour running.
Day 5 - back, biceps - approx 1 hour. Bike for 45-50 min.
Day 6 - Core workout -30 min. 1 hour running.
Day 7 - off

On lifting days, I'll do 3-4 different exercises for each indicated body part. (3-4 sets for each exercise -12,10,10,8 reps, increasing weight each time)

As I said earlier, there is a lot of variation in my workouts, rarely doing the same exercise from week-to-week for the same body part. For example, from one chest workout to the next, I'll go from barbells to dumbells, free weights to machines, flys/presses, etc. On occasion, I'll skip/add a body part if I fell off schedule, add a few sets of curls or tri pull downs to the mix.

Re: running, I'll run intervals - 2 minutes at 6.0mph, 1 minute at 8mph, for an hour. My cardio also includes jumping rope, stairmaster, eliptical from time-to-time.

On average, it's 60-75 minutes lifting, 45-60 cardio, which takes awhile, but I enjoy it. Hoping these extended workouts aren't detrimental.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you.

Don't do so much running, you should be letting your self have a 48 hour rest befor running again. No less cause you can mess your self up and tire your self out.

I dont agree with the other post about running/cardio being detrimental as part of your everyday exercise because bodyfat loss is one of your goals at this time. Cardio, especially the intense stuff (jumping rope/ellipitical/stairs) is good. Its a varied mix so its not just like you are running laps or just slow jogging.
As to the variety in your weights, that may not be good IF you are not staying with an exercise long enough to increase the weights on an increment basis - you should always be trying to consistantly challenge your muscles. Maybe try writing down from week to week what you do for each exercise/bodypart/weight used and trip it up a bit each time for some progress. Like one week you did 3-4 sets at 15lbs and the next try to do 25lbs or the like if you know what I mean. I think writing it down too makes it into a goal of what/how/when you change or increase your exercises not just willy nilly doing it. So just a suggestion there. Seeing it in print lets you know where you started and how you are progressing.
Last of all, you didnt mention what you eat at on a daily basis. This is like the make it or break it part of having/changing/getting a great physique. Keep it lean, five to six smaller balanced meals and up the fiber with lots of vegetables/fruits/whole grains. I think most people know what they should be eating, but they choose not to. So scrutinize that, but all in all the exercise looks ok to me :)