• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can you mix bumpers with normal weights?

merlin6014

Noob question...My 20kg 7 foot oly bar and 87.5kg of olympic rubber weights are maxed out on my deadlift.

I currently own in rubber weights 1.25kg x 2; 2.5kg x 2; 5kg x 6; 10kg x 2; 15kg x 2.

Now its time to increase my stack was think of either a pair of 20kg or a pair of 25kg.

My question is is it worth buying a pair of 25kg bumper plates ($80 premium for the pair over rubber) cause then they will be the largest plates on my bar and they will hit the floor first and protect everything else?

I feel like such a dick asking this...

Last edited:
I was deadlifting 200+ with metal plates for ages before I got my bumpers. Besides the noise metal plates are fine.

Nah, you're more likely to just end up breaking your bumpers if you use a single pair of bumpers then load up the rest with smaller weights.

Put your $80 towards some protection for your floor - that way you'll save your floor as well as the plates.

Good question mate, I suppose if you had a couple of bumpers each side before adding some steel it'd be alright.