• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lowering SHBG naturally?

pistachio

Ok, so got my bloods in today. Since two years ago, my Testosterone has dropped (marginally), but SHBG has nearly doubled, resulting in a rather significant decrease in calculated free testosterone. Current results are:

Test: 23.5 (8.0-27.8)
SHBG: 61.4 (10-70)
Calc. Free test: 0.342 (0.091-0.579)

The test levels seem good, but the SHBG is ridiculous (was around 35 last time I got it checked).

Anyone had any success lowering SHBG naturally?

I've just started the BN test booster trial, so will be interesting to see if the anti-oestrogens (DIM) help.

Where do you get that from mate and how do you dose it?

Doctor reckons too much protein in your diet can result in higher SHBG levels, not sure how much of an effect that has though.

Mate your results seem to be well within the range, I can not see any issues at all here, it probably varies slightly anyway.

I will dig my blood results out tonight, they are crap compared to yours from memory, I wish mine looked like yours:confused:

The results taken by themselves aren't bad, but considering the SHBG was in the 30's two years ago and is now in the 60's, that is pretty bad.

Also, I'm only 25 remember, so test levels should still be reasonably good at my age. No idea what has made the SHBG climb so much in the last few years tho.

Not sure my blood test has or shows a SHBG?? What is it??

I think my overall test level was only 8 or 9 (yours is 23), may be thats why I am feeling so good since starting the Test Booster Program, smashing PB's all over the place including the bed room:p

SHBG binds your testosterone, reducing the amount of free testosterone available. So the fact that my SHBG has nearly doubled means that the amount of free testosterone that I have available to me has nearly halved....

SHBG raises with e2...

Mick, its name is Sex Hormone binding globulin. It basically binds sex hormones and makes them 'un'bioavailable.

Pistachio are you cutting? Lowered kcal can lower test and also increase SHBG.

I would get e2 checked just to see what its at, although the method used in Australia is far from optimal for actualy measuring male oestradiol levels, it will at least give you something.

AS far as protein and SHBG

This says the opposite...

The dietary components that correlated best with SHBG levels were protein and fiber. Protein intake, which is marginally significant when tested by simple correlation, is more strongly significant when tested using multiple regression. Thus, the lower the protein intake, the higher the concentration of SHBG.

The mechanism by which protein intake can be a controlling factor on SHBG concentration is uncertain.
Diet and Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin

I was cutting, but when the blood tests were taken (last week) I had well and truly finished cutting (about 2-3 weeks ago). It is possible I was/am still in a calorie deficit though, although my weight hasn't dropped further, so if anything it would probably be maintenance.

Which one is e2? I got oestradiol, LH and FSH tested as well.

That's comforting to hear about the protein/SHBG relationship. I really didn't want to have to cut protein down....

I was cutting, but when the blood tests were taken (last week) I had well and truly finished cutting (about 2-3 weeks ago). It is possible I was/am still in a calorie deficit though, although my weight hasn't dropped further, so if anything it would probably be maintenance.

Which one is e2? I got oestradiol, LH and FSH tested as well.

That's comforting to hear about the protein/SHBG relationship. I really didn't want to have to cut protein down....

oestradiol is e2 there are 3 types, estrone, estradiol and estriol

Doesn't say (at least not on the sheet I've got). Not sure how to tell which laboratory?

LH was 3 (1-8) and FSH was also 3 (1-11) if that helps.

Digging up an old thread here rather than posting a new one.

Any thoughts on how to reduce SHBG naturally? Had Proviron recommended but that isn't natural ASFAIK...

Trick is in my scenario that I really only want it to effect SHBG. Estrogen levels are pretty low and shouldn't be lowered any further.

Have read a little about nettle root in particular (also boron, avena sativa, tongkat ali etc).

I have seen conflicting info on the nettle root so don't know what to believe. Some pages saying it will increase estrogen levels and free test (by lowering SHBG), but to the point that estrogen levels will get too high after a period.

Will then be chasing my tail trying to lower estrogen, looking at DIM etc.

Any thoughts? Pistachio, how'd you go?

Pistach, what's the flavour like on test max? Was about to order some protein but interested in this if it tastes OK, my test should be fine but i've been cutting for 6 weeks now and need to cut for another 6 to lean out so need a bit of a boost :D