• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cholesterol - Should I be worried?

pistachio

Some of you may remember I got my cholesterol levels tested earlier in the year (about March, see here)

Basically, I was eating pretty shit back then, and my cholesterol levels started to get pretty high, results were as below:

Cholesterol:
Total 6.7
HDL 1.9
LDL 4.5
Triglycerides 0.7

Now, after eating clean for a LONG time and losing about 15kgs fat, I decided to get them retested. Results received today are as follows:

Cholesterol:
Total 5.9
HDL 1.8
LDL 3.9
Triglycerides 0.4

What the hell?? It has barely improved at all! HDL is still low as fuck (actually lower than it was before) and LDL has barely dropped.

Should I be concerned? Do I need to start eating less eggs or meat?

I've been getting plenty of good fats from nuts, olive oil etc, I thought that would have helped, not to mention all the veggies I have everyday (and the occasional fruit).

For a full look at my diet, look here

I'm pretty pissed about this, I've been eating really healthy and I still have high cholesterol.

Your fine, just because it is higher then some arbitrary number doesn't mean your going to die.

Remember, your living a different way to people who get tested in studies. Your eating twice the usual amount of a normal man and training with weights. So sometimes these guidelines have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah I know man, and I understand that. But I'm concerned why the LDL is so high. If overall cholesterol was up, but HDL was high I'd be fine. But HDL is relatively low.

That said, I feel the healthiest I have ever been and am in the best shape I have ever been, so maybe I should just ignore it.

You're fine for the moment, its when you get older that you have to be more concerned. You don't want to have to go on drugs for it because that shit has bad side-effects. Just keep at the diet and hope for a gradual drop.

LDL - HDL ratio nothing else...

Not sure if your on any drugs but they can fuck things up a fair bit...

You're fine for the moment, its when you get older that you have to be more concerned. You don't want to have to go on drugs for it because that shit has bad side-effects. Just keep at the diet and hope for a gradual drop.

That's the thing man, I've been dieting for nearly 6 months. Very little crap over that time period. You'd think it would have dropped a lot more than it has.

LDL - HDL ratio nothing else...

Not sure if your on any drugs but they can fuck things up a fair bit...

Nah no drugs man.

Fuck, might just have to lower the egg intake to 2 eggs per day maybe.

That's the thing man, I've been dieting for nearly 6 months. Very little crap over that time period. You'd think it would have dropped a lot more than it has.

Nah no drugs man.

I dropped mine from 7.2 to 4.9 in a year. Didn't limit my eggs, red meat. etc, just used moderation and increased all the other healthy stuff incl. fish oil, avocado, pro-activ margarine, cardio, etc.

Nah no drugs man.

Eggs have nothing to do with it...

I dropped mine from 7.2 to 4.9 in a year. Didn't limit my eggs, red meat. etc, just used moderation and increased all the other healthy stuff incl. fish oil, avocado, pro-activ margarine, cardio, etc.

That's what my diet is like tho man. No margarine tho and very little cardio.

How many fish oil are you taking?

Eggs have nothing to do with it...

That's what I thought, but it is the only thing that I can see in my diet which could be a cause...

Studies have actually shown that eggs will lower cholesterol provided the rest of your diet is good!

Don't forget you ate your mum dinners not that diet you linked to over the last year so what was in that?

Yeah I know, but I've been on that diet (except for a few small differences) for about the last 2-3 months. You'd think that would have made some difference (not to mention just the general cleaning up of my diet over the 3-4 months before that).

I have had my family and friends telling me I would have a heart attack from eating 8-12 eggs a day plus all the red meat ect.

Got my cholesterol tested, 3.5 total.

What measurement is it taken by, I don't know shit about this so I just had a quick look on the web and found this on wiki

Level mg/dL Level mmol/L
Interpretation
25 to <50 <1.3 Optimal LDL cholesterol, levels in healthy young children before onset of atherosclerotic plaque in heart artery walls.
<70 <1.8 Optimal LDL cholesterol, corresponding to lower rates of progression, promoted as a target option for those known to clearly have advanced symptomatic cardiovascular disease.
<100 <2.6 Optimal LDL cholesterol, corresponding to lower, but not zero, rates for symptomatic cardiovascular disease events.
100 to 129 2.6 to 3.3 Near optimal LDL level, corresponding to higher rates for developing symptomatic cardiovascular disease events.
130 to 159 3.3 to 4.1 Borderline high LDL level, corresponding to even higher rates for developing symptomatic cardiovascular disease events.
160 to 199 4.1 to 4.9 High LDL level, corresponding to much higher rates for developing symptomatic cardiovascular disease events.
>200 >4.9 Very high LDL level, corresponding to highest increased rates of symptomatic cardiovascular disease events.

I'm not sure if your measurement is in mmol or whatever. This is the American measurement system apparently, and was correct as of 2005, but it is wiki so take it with a grain of salt. Best to consult someone who actually knows if that number of yours is seriously high or just the norm. I mean we all have to have some HDL and LDL, from what my Dad said to me, LDL is always higher than HDL, but he ain't no doc either.

Last edited:
FYI everybody, I have decided to not worry about this at all and just continue on my healthy diet.

HOWEVER, I am going to be much more discerning when it comes to cheat days. I'm thinking once a week, I will have a 'clean cheat' day, which basically means home made pizza. This stuff is fucking amazing, has very little fat (hardly any cheese) and I can eat a LOT in one sitting. So it will be a high calorie day, but clean (rather than say getting kfc and chips, or maccas or whatever). I'll have to post a pic up of the pizzas some time soon, they are seriously good.

Made some at new years for some friends, made 4 pizzas. Used a whole chicken, about 800g (raw) king prawn flesh, 2 avocados, about 100g rocket (which is a LOT of rocket lol) and a bit of other stuff.