• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Truckie needs some advice.

BLKWDW

As the title suggests im a truckie doing interstate 5-6 days a week. Currently living the typical truckie lifestyle with not much excercise besides getting in and out of the truck and eating alot of fast food. I've only been doing it 6 months and with the wife and i looking to have our 4th child i'm keen to try and change the lifestyle as best as i can so i dont end up with the problems most older truckies have and hopefully have a longer fullfilling life with my kids.
Im 24 weighing round 67kgs and 182cm tall so im guessing im along weigh of my ideal bmi.

i guess im after some advice on dieting and simple excersises that can be done in confined spaces and i know beiong on the road will limit both but i'm sure there are some things that can be done. Id like to get up to around 80kg plus but not being able to do full workouts i can see that this will be a problem to attain. I'm also helping it will get rid of the larthargic feeling i have had for a long time and boost my energy.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Darren

I might add i am home 4 the weekends and do have a weight bench set up with dumbells as well to add that extra bit when i'm home.

Dose your truck have a good fridge ?
Also what type of truck do you / dhat do you cart ?

Last edited:
I have an evakool fridge freezer in it. I also have a microwave to heat up/ cook food with. The truck is a sterling and i transport cars syd-,elb and occasionally go to ade, perth and brissy and having an enclosed trailer i get all the good cars. Dont know what that has to do with what i asked but.

Well you can think of your truck as a gym
Being a car carrier there should be bars-rails above head height = pull ups - chin ups
Steps on your truck = single leg calf raise and seated dips
Truck jack if heavy squats (even body weight is good )- lunges
Back of truck feet under hanging Hanging row YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Pushups with feet on truck step
Sit ups in the truck bunk
+ more

There's a gym everywhere
Cardio jog around the truck burpies to name a few

Food
Get your wife to make a nice chicken or beef salad to last a few days
Pre cook tea for the amount of time your going to be away I used to get my partner to cook tea for me when I was away so she'd cook for 2 freeze mine I always had plenty of food
Snacks fruits nuts
Take 10ltrs of water

One of my part-time jobs is working at a truck stop (console operator, yep its crap), so I see you guys all the time. I always wondered what you could do in terms of lifting.
If you are motivated, get a barbell (cheap one $200 from Gym Direct) and load a heap of cheap plates (say 150kg worth, 2x25s, 20s, 15s, 10s, 5s, 2.5s) and when you stop, just rip that fucker out and do Deadlifts, squats, Overhead presses, rows, curls, triceps extensions, and whatever else you can do with a barbell there is heaps of olympic lifts you can learn. Before you know it, you will be a strong fucker and the other truckies can go fuck themselves if they say anything. Just do them behind the truck wherever you park. Tuff it out and train outside like a beast, even in the rain and shit. Thats what I would do if I were you, you got heaps of storage to carry the weights, all the trucks I see do. Do this on the road and relax with the missus when your at home.

Than post pics so we can be in awe of your beast like appearance in a few months. you would be the baddest truckie out there, and give truckies back their baddass rep every kid imagines you guys to be. Instead of the reality, fat, overworked, underpaid, unhealthy sods. I am serious here, I would do it if I were a truckie.

EDIT: And as Tregs suggests, make as much food to take as you can, shit I do this for myself every week anyway. I cook 14 meals a week to keep frozen so i always got at least 2 good options, add a killer big ass shake to that and your set for the day. (this works wonders, but my prob is sticking to eating them LOL)

Good luck
Graeme

Last edited:
If your short on space I'd suggest a kettlebell. Would take up much room and there are hundreds of exercises u can do

If your short on space I'd suggest a kettlebell. Would take up much room and there are hundreds of exercises u can do

This is a much better idea than lugging plates and a bar which isn't really practical . Honestly though interstate hauling is a tough gig that puts serious stress on family/health/lifestyle etc.

Why don't you get a job doing local delivery work, you can make good money driving concrete agi's, crane trucks, swinglifts etc. Even startrack express or toll local will pay $1k a week in the hand for depot drivers. Just a thought.

This is a much better idea than lugging plates and a bar which isn't really practical . Honestly though interstate hauling is a tough gig that puts serious stress on family/health/lifestyle etc.

Why don't you get a job doing local delivery work, you can make good money driving concrete agi's, crane trucks, swinglifts etc. Even startrack express or toll local will pay $1k a week in the hand for depot drivers. Just a thought.

Sorry for late reply. Were i live there is no local delivery work worth working for. I live in small country town(cowra) and have one transport company that pay just over $700 take home for local stuff. I'm based in melb but i'm lucky in i get to bring truck home on weekends. If i could find work where i live paying what i get now or close ($1400-$1500 take home) id take it in a heartbeat but jobs let alone good paying ones are few and far between here.