• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gym equipment questions and buying from ABC

zan777

First of I have a question about buying items from Australian barbell company. They have no shopping cart system on the site and I searched but they don't seem to have suppliers that I could find either?

Now i'l move on to some specific equipment questions. I'm pretty set on getting the muscle motion gym direct power rack as it's widely recommend and seems like the best budget option. It only just squeezes into my room which isn't overall large and already accommodates 2 wardrobes a desk and a bed. Can i perform deads inside the cage as i'm severely struggling for room outside of it..

secondly haven't been able to power cleans as the gym i'm at doesn't have any bumper plates. I know there an awesome exercise and would love to get into doing them but again would this be possible inside the rack?

Last question are in regards to plates. Standard vs Bumper...
Is it worthwhile future proofing myself by getting bumpers to do power cleans or even if I can't even do the exercise now get them on the basis i would like to do these lifts in the future.

I'm pretty keen on getting some colored weights to keep training interesting. these are some products i've shortlisted.. anyone used them and got comments on value vs quality?

150kg muscle motion bumpers $675 150KG Olympic Bumper Weight Set_Colour

150kg muscle motion rubber coated + bar $650
150KG Olympic Bumper Weight Set_Colour

157.5kg iron edge plates $470
150KG Olympic Bumper Weight Set_Colour

Aus Barbell co rubber coated coloured plates - unsure on price
Australian Barbell Company |

Pointers in the right direction are apreciated.

Cheers

make sure with your room restrictions u have allowed enough space for the bar itself to fit. the last thing u want to do is get say a 5ft rac in the room and not be able to fit a 7ft bar in the rack coz its too close to the walls or something.

cleans are possible in a rack, just take the safeties out, only thing is if u fall over forwards or backwards the bar may hit the rack.

bumpers FTW, standard plates really need to be used on a platform to prevent damage to the floor or the plates.
in terms of bumpers, id recomend the premium bumpers from Iron Edge, but they do cost more then the ones u listed.
this pack would keep u going for a while.
Weightlifting Premium Bumper Plate Pack - Iron Edge / Australian Kettlebells

heres their other bumpers, i have their standard ones, only problem i find is that they vary too much in size. the iron edge (standard bumpers) and ABC bumpers appear to be almost the same lol
Bumper Plates - Iron Edge Fitness Equipment - Train Smarter

Thanks callan. Lucky took the acount of the bar into my calculations. when in use the bar covers a door way- not a huge issue as i can easily take it down when not in use.

Bumpers seem like a pretty good future proof. My budget is pretty low.. is there a huge difference between gym direct and iron edge plates quality wise?

lastly how do you purchase from ABC? do you email them asking for a quote or are there re-sellers?

Cheers

Thanks callan. Lucky took the acount of the bar into my calculations. when in use the bar covers a door way- not a huge issue as i can easily take it down when not in use.

Bumpers seem like a pretty good future proof. My budget is pretty low.. is there a huge difference between gym direct and iron edge plates quality wise?

lastly how do you purchase from ABC? do you email them asking for a quote or are there re-sellers?

Cheers
i have the standard Iron Edge bumpers, had them for about 9-10 months, still like new except for general scuffs from being dropped. theres about a mm extra in the bore holes.
i havnt ever used gym direct bumpers so i cant compare from use but heres what i can get off both the sites

gym direct bumpers (25kg) are 88mm thick and the iron edge are 65mm thick
the diamiter of gym direct dumpers are 455mm IE are 450mm
IE standard bumper bore hole is 51mm

IE premium bumpers (25kg) are 61mm thick
bore hole is 50.40mm

Cheers

have you seen ABC's prices they are pretty expensive if your after rubber plates ive got a heap and can send you some pics i put some up of my standard ones in my thread but... i can put up some for rubber coated olympic ones i got and anyway if your not doing lifts that would benfit off bumpers atm theres no need to buy them even for "future proofing".... just buy normal rubber or hammertone and just sell them once your done.

I've been trying to buy a bar from ABC and I've never had so much trouble giving away $600. I was talking to one person through email and he gave me a price for the bar and shipping, then when I called to order I spoke to someone else who gave me a higher price and told me I'd have to speak to the other guy who wasn't there. Now I can't get him to call me back or answer my email.

I've been trying to buy a bar from ABC and I've never had so much trouble giving away $600. I was talking to one person through email and he gave me a price for the bar and shipping, then when I called to order I spoke to someone else who gave me a higher price and told me I'd have to speak to the other guy who wasn't there. Now I can't get him to call me back or answer my email.

If that was me I wouldn't bother any more. Your spending good money you shouldn't have to be chasing them up to take your cash.

They lost my gyms future sales of any new equipment due to selling defective equipment and then not replacing it.

Typically you just ask them to set up an account for you. If you can't produce an ABN or anything just say you're doing your cert III and IV in fitness
Otherwise mention PTC, think that gets you 10% or something off.

Hambs are those new bars @ IE just standard ABC bars re-badged, or are they a custom make mate?

They're essentially ABC bars, but you can't buy a bar from ABC with the same specs (if that makes sense).

The IE bars have their own knurling pattern, markings, sleeve bearings, shaft diameter etc

Typically you just ask them to set up an account for you. If you can't produce an ABN or anything just say you're doing your cert III and IV in fitness

They're essentially ABC bars, but you can't buy a bar from ABC with the same specs (if that makes sense).

The IE bars have their own knurling pattern, markings, sleeve bearings, shaft diameter etc

So would you say better than ABCs? just diff? or somewhat the same anyway?

I would say they're a marginal improvement over the typical ABC bar.

Mainly in the shaft diameter and the type of knurl.

We're also getting in some sample strongman/specialty bars over the next few containers so I'm going to push for that :p

thanks ham's. Do you think it would be an issue to quote my parents ABN considering the business is totally unrelated to the fitness industry or would i get away with it?

Not really.

We get people ordering for Commonwealth bank etc lol

If it is getting delivered to a business address shipping will cost less too