• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

RyanF 2012 Body Transformation

RyanF

I'm in!

Height: 172cm
Starting Weight: 71.7kg

Body Transformation Goal:
A lean 75-80kg. Getting up to that weight will be easy. I've already gotten up to 77kg before. It's just being that weight at a low bodyfat (I'm thinking about 8-12% for some good definition without looking gaunt) that'll be tricky.

General Training Goals:
Not sure, really. My goal this year was to press 1 plate, bench 2, squat 3 and deadlift 4. Probably would've made it there if I didn't start cutting around September. I'd still like to achieve those numbers, but I'm getting more interested in Olympic weightlifting now, so those numbers will probably take a back seat towards getting competent at the snatch and clean+jerk.

Pics, taken tonight (21/12/11):

1MHTd239BSBFBxM7nT9rQWch6hgvWQ873.jpeg

16rPrjNCRKzTkwGmJpReeNjo6MiqC333.jpeg

1UxR7zNkWhimkEz0ORttTnNfpxfRyh011.jpeg

1HAqac5YDxAO9cJBqWYyMfPXUFSKY1071.jpeg

1QNcH710JawaOOr1VxRAySabec5Pwx565.jpeg

Carrying a lot of condition for this time of year, but the race is long and has age on his side, plus a great training team.

There, or thereabouts.

And, in case that doesn't work, I'll upload them directly onto the site here....

Last edited:
Final weigh-in for 2011 was 70.8kg. First weigh-in for 2012 (this morning) was 70.75kg, so no significant difference (not that I'd expect any over a couple day's time. As of this morning, the bulking begins. I'm thinking 12 weeks bulking followed by 6 weeks cutting is probably a good way to go for the first 4 months of the year. Then probably do the same again in the middle of the year, then one last 6 week bulk before cutting again through to Christmas.

Tried that in 2011. The result was that I couldn't keep up with cutting for the long haul. After about 10 weeks I took a "2-week" break from it (as Lyle McDonald recommends) which went for, well, a lot longer than 2 weeks, because I couldn't bring myself to get back to cutting. Plus, the stretch-marks were none too desirable. And, as you can see from the pics in post#1, the 10-week cut only really made me look "not that fat." I'd rather take 2 steps forwards, 1 step back than 8 steps forward, 5 steps back.

Forgive me for sounding stubborn, but I'm not seeing how that would be preferable. I don't see how, in a body transformation contest, time that could be spent cutting and losing some extra bodyfat would be better spent maintaining. Could you explain your reasoning?

Dude,
You ant to bulk then cut in which you would be at youe peak, then bulk again then try to peak again for comp.

WTF?

I am assuming you want to present yourself in a ripped state for end comp photos?

Yes, I want to present myself in a ripped state. Not in the exact same state I'm currently in +10kg. The cutting throughout the year wouldn't be peaking, it would just be keeping a tab on bodyfat levels throughout the year so that it's easier to peak at the end of the year.

Ryan, here's a suggestion from left field. Don't do either. At your level you will easily add new lean mass whilst losing bodyfat. Watch your protein intake and make sure it's adequate, get some good fats and keep your carbs clean and you will grow and get leaner for twelve months no problem. Throw in a short cut at the end and you will be right in the running at the end of the comp.

More than one peak is unnecessary. Getting fat in the name of bulking is also unnecessary.

^ My starting point was a bodyweight of 45kg. Between there and about 60kg I had no problem building muscle mass, gaining weight and keeping a 6-pack at the same time (when I actually ate enough to grow). But once I passed 60kg...definitely after 65kg, I haven't experienced the same ease of building muscle and staying lean. Maybe if I ate for a bulk all week and ate for a cut on weekends I'd be more able to recomp or at least maintain BF% while growing.

Once again, the mini-cuts throughout the year would not be me peaking, they'd just be a control. There'd still only be the one peak at the end of the year, but it'd only take 8-10 weeks rather than 15-20 weeks.

Good luck buddy - I went from 54kg to 64kg pretty quickly but really struggled to get to 69kg so sounds very similar to you. Should be interesting to see how we both go

The road so far:

Things started out alright for the first couple months, then life went shithouse. For a couple weeks I could barely put anything in my mouth without feeling like vomitting, and after initially gaining back 1kg (after about a 5kg loss) when I started eating again, I've only really been maintaining for the last month or so. I'm currently sitting at about 67.8kg (the scale weight's been within 0.05 of that every time I've checked my weight over the last 3 weeks, which is almostly freakishly consistent). I just took some progress pics, and about the only visible difference since the first pics is that the lighting's not very good and my hair's a bit shorter.

1wk6HIPpIje7daxRU1YpTYds2X5h20506.jpeg

1ETOHAmIa9sR9JbwHU5KkXQg2SU7j0401.jpeg

1r92x8fPOF4GiLDG4fimzKL3It7FQ1073.jpeg

1s28jMvleXE7RYR8DP2FD1fKOD6DKZ1714.jpeg

1ZdPCGeSyZawGYyHRoiytQNkX9nD0199.jpeg