• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Left glute pain

willyboy

So as of lately my left glute seems to be getting sore, during lifts such as the squat and deadlift but more so in the squat when i got to the top of the lift my left glute gets this sharp jolt and it feels very uncomfortable. For some reason it only occurs in the left glute/hip area only. While deadlifting also when I got to the top of the lift just about to lockout the hips sometimes I get the same jolt in the left glute but not as bad as during squats

For that reason I didn't want to squat until I can rid of this issue just in case I cause any more damage.

What could be the potential problem and how could I try to fix it?

So as of lately my left glute seems to be getting sore, during lifts such as the squat and deadlift but more so in the squat when i got to the top of the lift my left glute gets this sharp jolt and it feels very uncomfortable. For some reason it only occurs in the left glute/hip area only. While deadlifting also when I got to the top of the lift just about to lockout the hips sometimes I get the same jolt in the left glute but not as bad as during squats

For that reason I didn't want to squat until I can rid of this issue just in case I cause any more damage.

What could be the potential problem and how could I try to fix it?

Most likely a strained Piriformis but I can not be sure as it is the internet and pretty freaking hard to diagnose injuries over it.

Do not do what causes pain. Massage it (ball, foam roller, someones elbow), search google for piriformis stretch. Get checked by a Physio if you can.

Thanks for the input and yeah I don't blame you for that and I do appreciate your help.

I have stopped squatting for for the time being until the issue is resolved.

I did try rolling the area on a medicine ball and that seemed to help it so I might keep trying that at different areas of the hips/glute, also looking up the piriformis stretches you mentioned

Could a possible cause be due to hip tucking during squats because I noticed that as of lately I tend to hip tuck?

Not necessarily. Excessive hip tuck will add extra.stress to your lower back/pelvic area and if you already have a muscular issue in the hip you can create some serious issues. To correct your hip tuck get a belt and work on your abs and especially your hip flexors which keep the pelvis tilted properly. You could also have either a leg length discrepancy that is causing an issue or a leg strength discrepancy which correcting with unilateral will help.

So I took a break of about a week. Just started working out again from Monday and did the usual beginners program. Squated light starting from just the bar and increasing by 10kg increments until 80kg and all was fine. Deadlifts at 100kg was fine. However today I went to squat 80kg and after abOut the 4th rep the glute pain started to occur so I stopped. Tried deads and they were fine.

I have noticed that when I squat my feet tend to roll inwards (and I'm thinking maybe my knees are too but I couldn't quite tell). This got me thinking is my incorrect squat form the cause I this problem?

Post a vid of u squatting.

I'm 80% assuming that your stance is narrow and your not pushing out with the knees while squatting hence your knees are buckling inwards.
Very common for beginners to do this incorrectly from symptoms describe.

If your feet are rolling inwards you might have an issue with you being very flat footed. This is generally resolved by u consciously pushing your knee and outta balls of your feet outwards.

As said by Dave its hard to diagnose the problem with just text on screen.

Well just finished my workout and didn't notice any pain what so ever. Did the usual stretching an also decided to do a little bit of foam rolling not sure if that was it or something else.

I also managed to get some footage which I will upload when I get home

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld70FYPnGj0&feature=plcp&context=C30522b6UDOEgsToPDskKEBpJsVfAXQUzPLnGN-m3I"]Squat 80kg x 5 - YouTube[/ame]

didn't realise there was a collar still on the rack, noticed and removed after first rep. Also noticed that I think i shift onto my toes?
also got a shot from the side which i can upload if its any helpful

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDmUf6cdrho&feature=plcp&context=C3bc4533UDOEgsToPDskI_8ykEdLQgyJZC681iQ0_h"]Deadlift 110kg x 8 - YouTube[/ame]

your defiantly shifting onto your toes, it should be the other way round. Try bring your feet in a bit closer and try it out there.

your hips are way to high for your deadlift also