• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

homemade equiptment

matt357

i made these all myself, i have had 180kgs on the squat rack to test. bench safety stands are adjustable and i have had 160kgs on them, any questions or suggestions for my designs? and the farmers have had 80kgs a hand on them, still strong!

Well done, I hope they are as strong and sturdy as you say they are. Would hate to have 100kg + on my throat.

Does not look real strong to me, but if you tested it it's fine I guess, did you test just resting the weight on it, or shock loading the weight on it which will cause a lot more strain on the equipment!

Just make sure it's safe as you only have one body, apart from that great idea to make your own equipment.

Been watching these guys on youtube, might give you more ideas:)

PS This guy is a BEAST:eek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltrcyTxLhqk]heavy squatting 505x5,525x5,575x1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WahSFOhcQBw]Home made parallel bars - YouTube[/ame]

my suggestion for the squat rack, is to make the wood shorter, so the bar is much closer to the uprights, and reduces the leverage on those skinny bits of metal and their welds.
ie, put the screw a few inches away from the upright, not a whole foot

other concern would be with re-racking.. if you trip forward with a bit of force, the whole lot could topple over??

would also consider a clamp of some kind, or a bolt thru the wood and each upright, to give an extra smidgen of safety (although drilling thru the metal uprights will weaken them a bit)

for the bench safety stands, i'd be a bit worried.. they need to be stable both sideways and forwards/backwards
i'd try to either bolt them to the bench somehow, or bolt to the floor if possible.

i figure.. if you can load your equipment up more than you can lift (say, 50%) and then PUSH the stuff around and it is still stable and looks safe (no wobbles, doesn7t fall or buckle), then good to go.

you could make squat safeties and bench safeties out of wood like in that first vid. 2 or 3 bolts, good thick wood..

yeah, with the bench stands, i'm going to make the base more supportive, just so i don't knock it over. the ladder squat rack is as strong as an ox, 160kgs and we were bouncing on it, seems stable, havent pushed it over yet. im thinking of making catchers on the side, like legs that come out from the ladders and go at 90deg. to the ground, wood probably.
i've seen that guy's vids, he is pretty big!! thanks for the feedback!

I am one for doing what you can with what you have.
I think that if you have saved yourself some money, by doing this then more power to you. When you use it I bet you are thinking that look it works and it cost well under half the price.
As soon as I can I will that a photo of the things I have made with what I have got around home. All work like yours so well done.

I remember when I was around your age and I wanted weights to.
Being the same as I to didn't have a job so I had to think of things and what to use.
One thing I used back then was housing bricks, I drilled holes into the middle and then wired them together and made a half arse barbell.
It worked for what I wanted. Then I found out that the local YMCA had a gym that anyone could use. So I went there until I was able to buy my own stuff.