• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Body Image Issues

Lol'd

I think the initial interest in strong is the new skinny is that it gives permission to women to get off the treadmill and stop counting 900 calories a day and eat big, lift big and work out with the boys.

I had a strong is the new skinny moment on the weekend. Two actually. I squatted my 105kg husband on my back, and I ran into a friend who is on a seriously calorie controlled diet. Shea probably a size 16 to 18 with big girl upper arms and a big arse/thighs. She's list 8kg in 2 months whereas I've lost 5 in 9. She still looks flubbery and I'm looking firm. She's wearing the same size and I'm 1-2 sizes smaller. She's hating her food, whereas I'm growing more and mire curious about nutrition and eating more than ever before. All of her friends are trying to sabotage her diet out of jealousy over 8kg of muscle wasting, and mine are jealous I'm eating all the time and getting slimmer. She wants to be skinny, and I want to deadlift 100kg.

so true. im at witts end hearing hot chicks whinge about how they look...

i hear these samechicks say they dont like a guy whos not confident in themselves, i now turn it back on them and say guys HATE a chick who is attractive and who whinges about looks... (unless there hideous, then i agree with them)

Love this blog ... :)

Well, I don't workout to impress anyone...I do it to feel healthy and I enjoy it. so it's all for me. I eat well because I don't treat my body like a garbage dump.

Sometimes the warrior woman thinking helps you motivate yourself but it's sad if it becomes some kind of club.

I wish all women would just be themselves and yes, sanity may be hot for you guys, but it's also kinda nice just being sane for us too :)

thanks for sharing that one...

I just wanted to share this with you because, as someone who had anorexia as a teenager and suffered for years afterwards with body image issues ...this brought more than a tear to my eye.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...30393161.59689.228806560507798&type=1&theater

I just wanna grab this chick and high five her for a fantastic transformation. I know most female inspirational stories are about weight loss but some of us are trying to get strong from the other direction and undo years of damage to our LBM stores. It's actually harder to do, but wow, I'm so stoked to see this and motivated to 200% again.

Is this fantastic?

Awesome transformation :):)
Look at her muscle mass now!

And she's flipping a huge Tyre! WTG!

Awesome transformation :):)
Look at her muscle mass now!

And she's flipping a huge Tyre! WTG!

I know. I started crying when I saw this (partly cos I wanna be flipping tyres too I have to admit).
I'm mentoring a young girl with anorexia+bulimia at the moment and I wish I could get the message through to her.
Wow, I can't even imagine even remotely wanting to waste away like that any more.
It's so good to see someone overcoming such a serious disease and OMG look at her muscles!!!! WANT.

Wow, that is a great turnaround. So sickly thin before, but now she's a little beast-ette. Great stuff!

This quote is GOLD: "You know what’s really hot? Not being fucking neurotic. Men fucking love that."

On a side note:
I've lost a friend to anorexia and another only just saved herself in the nick of time. It's a helpless disease that does not discriminate. I consider anorexia to be a socially born brain cancer - the survival rate is low and all you can do is watch helplessly as they slowly fade away. The media has a lot to answer for but I doubt will ever be held accountable for.

Wow, that is a great turnaround. So sickly thin before, but now she's a little beast-ette. Great stuff!

Yep, that's the kind of beast-ette I wanna be, G! OK I'll have to be a slightly geriatric version by comparison but hey.... all good :D

This quote is GOLD: "You know what’s really hot? Not being fucking neurotic. Men fucking love that."

On a side note:
I've lost a friend to anorexia and another only just saved herself in the nick of time. It's a helpless disease that does not discriminate. I consider anorexia to be a socially born brain cancer - the survival rate is low and all you can do is watch helplessly as they slowly fade away. The media has a lot to answer for but I doubt will ever be held accountable for.

Yes, it's a horrible disease and unless you experience it first-hand (either yourself or someone close to you), I find people simple cannot comprehend it. Sadly, this often leads to flippant remarks and easy dismissal of it as a disease but it's deadly.
Yes, the media definitely feeds it and can trigger it, but the underlying issues that cause it are not the fault of the media (it's just that they seriously are not helping!).

I love seeing someone come through it and not just surviving but really turning their lives around. it's so rare, it's beautiful to see :)

Awesome blog and thread - have had a few friends suffer, commit suicide and survive eating disorders - I actually picked up on a besty that was anorexic and intervened she then went to hospital for treatment. I have always wanted something to be better about myself but not to the extent that I would change who I am innately. The women I know or girls I should say are very judgemental of the amount of time I spend in the gym, what I eat and why I don't drink or club like I did when I was 18. To them I have changed and I have abandoned my life for my figure but seriously I tell them that if they were my real friends they would be there with me through everything and appreciate what I'm aiming for - hence the loss of some long time acquaintances.

I've known quite a few girls in my time with eating disorders. My former girlfriend's parents made a point of not having scales in the house as a preventative measure, and it's a sad world we live in because I can't call it unreasonable of them. When I was about 16-18, I think I had body dysmorphic disorder, although I never saw a psychologist or got any sort of diagnosis. It took until I was about 21-22 before I could go on a bulk for more than 2 weeks without that bat-shit craziness creeping back in (dead srs).

I've known quite a few girls in my time with eating disorders. My former girlfriend's parents made a point of not having scales in the house as a preventative measure, and it's a sad world we live in because I can't call it unreasonable of them. When I was about 16-18, I think I had body dysmorphic disorder, although I never saw a psychologist or got any sort of diagnosis. It took until I was about 21-22 before I could go on a bulk for more than 2 weeks without that bat-shit craziness creeping back in (dead srs).

I didn't go near a scale for 15 years for the same reason and when my doctor used to weigh me, he'd make me look away and would never tell me the number.
It was a good preventative measure and I think got me used to ignoring the scale altogether.
these days I only weigh myself now and then to see if I have actually increased some weight in the hope that it's LBM!!

But small steps like that can help a lot. They might seem silly but a lot of it is about rituals that become bad bad habits.

Hardest thing to conquer is undoing all the ingrained behaviours...especially getting one's relationship with food back to normal.

My wife has always been on the high end of the scale and I'm constantly telling her that scale weight is only one body measurement of many. That an increase in scale weight is not necessarily a bad thing. The over importance placed on the scale is destructive on both ends of the 'scale' as it where.

Lol'd

I think the initial interest in strong is the new skinny is that it gives permission to women to get off the treadmill and stop counting 900 calories a day and eat big, lift big and work out with the boys.

I had a strong is the new skinny moment on the weekend. Two actually. I squatted my 105kg husband on my back, and I ran into a friend who is on a seriously calorie controlled diet. Shea probably a size 16 to 18 with big girl upper arms and a big arse/thighs. She's list 8kg in 2 months whereas I've lost 5 in 9. She still looks flubbery and I'm looking firm. She's wearing the same size and I'm 1-2 sizes smaller. She's hating her food, whereas I'm growing more and mire curious about nutrition and eating more than ever before. All of her friends are trying to sabotage her diet out of jealousy over 8kg of muscle wasting, and mine are jealous I'm eating all the time and getting slimmer. She wants to be skinny, and I want to deadlift 100kg.

Now that's the right attitude!

My wife has always been on the high end of the scale and I'm constantly telling her that scale weight is only one body measurement of many. That an increase in scale weight is not necessarily a bad thing. The over importance placed on the scale is destructive on both ends of the 'scale' as it where.
Pretty good pun :)

Now that's the right attitude!

Completely agree. We need more women to be like that.