• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help designing a workout

Bonfield

I want to design a training plan but I am unsure as to what exercises to use, the goal is to increase muscle size and strength gains but I am limited with what I can choose from due to a breaking my femur a few years back and having a limited range of movement and strength in my left leg, things like squats are out of the question because it only gets to about 80-90 degrees then is extremely painful

Any help with this would be great, sorry for posting this thread as I know this question or a variant has been asked time and time again, and I know that I should design a program to how my body feels but I don't have much/any experience with this

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot I wasnt too sure where to post it

If you can't do squats then you are doomed

/end thread

seriously though, I am not sure how a broken leg, if actually healed, would affect the ROM of a squat?

Does it hurt when you sit down and bend in? Or just under load

It hurts pretty much all the time, walking down slopes etc. I really doubt I could squat my own body weight, it will take a long long time to get to a weight where squats will become beneficial, Atm just leg press and curl to get some strength but training just the left leg as the right one is a fair bit bigger due to it compensating

Edit: I shattered my bottom of my femur, both epicondyles were a mess and have 2 plates and a heap of screws there

Ah ok.

Bottom would make things a bit more complicated.

I just presumed a mid-point break.

In your situation I would do the beginner program, but substitute squats with single legged leg press, and deadlifts with single legged leg curls.

Ok, something like 5x5?

Also would you suggest a hypertrophy program? Or do a beginners program then moving on?

That was just the first thing I found when I googled hypertrophy training, I didn't look that much into it, what's wrong with it?

I'm still unsure as what exercises to write for my program

As I suggested before, find the beginner program in either the strength or bodybuilding section and do that, but replace the squats/deads with unilateral leg press/ham curls

Best of luck for your plan but you should concentrate on 'implementation' than 'interface'.
I mean, you should make the natural production in muscles.
Don't rely on supplements.
regards

Best of luck for your plan but you should concentrate on 'implementation' than 'interface'.*
I mean, you should make the natural production in muscles.*
Don't rely on supplements.
regards

Thanks the supplements are just to maximize recovery gains etc, I have a pretty poor diet just want to make the best of my workout

What do you think of this workout?

Monday Chest and Triceps
Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Incline Bench Press
Dumbbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Fly
Barbell Close Grip Bench Press
Barbell Lying Triceps Press
Cable Triceps Pushdown

Tuesday Back and Traps

Barbell Bent Over Row
One-Arm Dumbell Row
Pullups
Cable Seated Row
Barbell Shrug
Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug
Barbell Shrug

Wednesday Quads and Calves

Barbell Full Squat
Leg Press
Front Barbell Squat
Barbell One Leg Squat
Seated Calf Raise
Standing Calf Raises

Thursday Shoulders and Biceps

Barbell Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Arnold Press
Barbell Front Raise
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Cross Body Hammer Curl
Biceps
Barbell Curl
Biceps
Cable Preacher Curl

Friday Lower Back, Hamstrings and Abs

Barbell Deadlift
Romanian Deadlift
Upper Legs
Lying Leg Curls
Upper Legs
Seated Leg Curl

http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=3244 there is the link

Last edited:
In post #12 you said "thanks l will do that" to someone suggesting the beginner program that’s posted all through here (real solid program even with subbing the squats out) and then a week later you post a cluster fuck of a program asking us what we think. Don't ask our opinions or for our help if you just going to ignore it and do the program you think 'looks wicked pumped' instead...

Edit * After re-reading what l posted that came off a little harsh....

Last edited:
Dont over complicate it if your a beginner, stick to squats ( or closest thing you can get to it in your case ), Bench press, Bent rows, Overhead press, Dips and Chins. Thats your staple exercises for any program build around them and do them a lot and you will get bigger and stronger, reps and sets are up to you just complete them and add weight whenever possible.

Ok, I will do the beginners program here, what is so wrong about the program I posted? It seems like a whole body workout

I also like this one

Eight-Day Training Cycle: One day training, one day rest
(One day on, one day off)

Day 1: Chest, biceps
Bench presses 3 sets 6- 8 reps
Incline bench presses 2 sets 6- 8 reps
Dips with added weights 2 sets 8-10 reps
Barbell curls 3 sets 6-10 reps
Dumbbell curls 2 sets 6-10 reps

Day 3: Thighs
Squats 3 sets 6-10 reps
Leg presses 2 sets 8-10 reps
Leg curls 2 sets 8-10 reps

Day 5: Shoulder, triceps
Presses behind neck 3 sets 6- 8 reps
Upright row 2 sets 8-10 reps
Side laterals 2 sets 8-10 reps
Lying triceps presses 3 sets 6-10 reps
Triceps pulley pushdown 2 sets 8-10 reps

Day 7: Back. calves
Chins with added weight 3 sets 8-10 reps
Lat pull to neck 2 sets 8-10 reps
Barbell bent-over row 2 sets 6-10 reps
Seated cable row 2 sets

Ok, I will do the beginners program here, what is so wrong about the program I posted? It seems like a whole body workout

I also like this one

Shuddup and squat, deadlift, press, bench press and chinup. Keep it simple. Progressively add more weight each week. If you can't do any of those subsitute them for something similiar that will get you closer to doing them.