• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

All about Abs

J

jbn

Myths/Questoins:
1. If i use weights in my ab exercises, i will have a large blocky stomach

this isn't true. This is a common misconception. Your abs will grow, like other muscle, but that size is limited. Just like any other muscle, your abs need resistance. Weights just add resistance. Doing say 3 sets of 10 reps with weight, will not give you a blocky stomach. I find that abs tend to respond more above 10 reps, but no more than 20-25 per set.

I can do 5 sets of 120 crunches each, so i have strong abs

This isn't necessarily true. When you do crunches, you can build up a momentum, and just keep doing reps like they are nothing. The point of a crunch is to bring the rib cage closer to the pelvis area. Your abs are divided into a few basic areas. Upper, lower, and the oblique region. Your upper abs contract your upper body in towards your pelvis. Your lower abs are responsible for bringing your lower body up towards your rib cage. You have to concentrate on each rep, and squeeze the abs, not just raise your head off the floor. Make sure your raising your shoulders off the floor about 2 inches or so. A good trick, is to stare at a spot on the cieling, and keep your eyes fixed on it...this will keep you from pulling your neck.

Abs can be done every day

Although i have heard of bodybuilders doing routines like this, i would not reccomend it. Remember, your abs are a muscle just like any other, and they need rest. I would train abs no more than 2-3 days per week. If you train with intensity, you will find this is plenty. I often do 1-2 times per week.

Doing ab exercises will give me a six pack

not entirely true. Ab exercises will develop your abs, but not shed the fat on your stomach. Cardio and diet will trim the fat around your abs, and give you that "six pack" look.

I want my abs to look a certain way, what can i do to change the way they look?

nothing, it has to do with genetics, you can't change the way your abs look physically. You can only develop them.

I can see my abs, so this means i have well developed abs

not necessarily true. See if you can see your abs, that menas you have low body fat. It does not mean that your ab muscles themselves are well developed. This only comes from proper ab work.

Weighted side bends will only make my obliques large and bulky

Once again, this isn't really true. Your abs need resistance. Doing side bends with 10-15 lbs, for 10 or more reps, will not give you a thick blocky waist.

Ab routine:

Train abs no more than 2-3 times per week

3-4 exercises compromising upper, lower, obliques, and lower back

3-4 sets per exercise, 10-25 reps...i would stick to no more than 20 though

I prefer to train in supersets, often consisting of anywhere from 2-4 exercises per set. This gives the abs little time to rest, and gives you a bit of a cardio workout as well.

Exercises: (these are some of the basic exercises you can do for the abs)
Lower abs - Roman chair, leg lifts, knee tucks, decline bench crunches

Upper abs - crunches, cable crunches, swiss ball crunches, machine crunches

Obliques - Side bends, broom twists, cruches (elbow to opposite knee)

Lowerback - Hyperextensions

Make sure to squeeze the abs on every rep, and breath properly. If you follow these basic guidlines, and have a proper healthy diet and cardio routine, you will find that its not very hard to have a nice trim waist. If you have any suggestions please post. Lets set the record straight on abs, and give people a thread to refer to...