• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Workout Of The Week - What Is The Best HIIT Workout?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a popular way for people to burn fat It's a training method that has been effective for many people.

What is the best HIIT workout? Be specific.

Who would benefit the most from a HIIT regimen?

What kind of results can you expect from HIIT?

How does HIIT compare to other training methods?

The one you like most is probably the easiest..Choose the ones you hate and master it.

OK, this is the best one I have created so far, some might find it lame.

20 burpees (with push-ups)

Than sprinting tire sled drag (with 20kg plate inside) for 100m

than 20 burpees (with push-ups)

than sprinting tire sled drag (with 20kg plate inside) back to beginning (100m)

than 20 burpees (with push-ups)

Than rest and repeat 5-7 times.

Do it on a hard surface such as tar road for maximum grip from the tire, it should take approx 20min to do, quicker if your fitter, takes me 35min as I die for a bit between each interval, LOL.

Who it benefits:
It's good for anyone who wants to increase their GPP for max lift days.

Results:
I have found that when I do this, results come pretty quickly. For example I only have to do it 3 times in the week before my max effort week is coming up.
Example: I train Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri the first week, so I do the HIIT on Wed/Sat/Sun and usually have a max lift day on Tues and Fri the following week and it seems to give me boost in GPP, and I have heaps of energy compared to normal.

Comparison:
I like HIIT for its ability to open your airways and give you that pumped feeling, I think its the single best way to get your GPP up so you don't puff out on really heavy days. I don't like it for fat loss as its a bit to hard for me to do for long enough. I use steady state cardio such as walking or a mountain bike riding with the kids for fat loss as I seem to get a better response with it for that, and its a healing process as well.

Last edited:
What is the best HIIT workout? Be specific. There is no "best" but I like hill sprints, KB swings, burpees, pullup/dip/squat (or lunge) combo, skipping

Who would benefit the most from a HIIT regimen? People with a decent fitness level already. THrowing beginners in for some tabata burpees or something like that is asking for trouble IMO

What kind of results can you expect from HIIT? you may be able to cure cancer

How does HIIT compare to other training methods? For what purpose? For an endurance athlete it's probably not that beneficial but for you average weekend warrior it would be beneficial for aerobic/anaerobic (depending on exercise choice) & IMO most importantly mental toughness

^ If you want to measure the quality of HIIT by how close you come to throwing up, just drink a ton of vodka before training, then alternate it with fizzy drinks throughout the workout (but don't mix it directly with them, I've found that the can of coke between drinks that my parents always recommended to me as a kid promotes vomiting much more than the can of coke mixed in with the drink).

^ If you want to measure the quality of HIIT by how close you come to throwing up, just drink a ton of vodka before training, then alternate it with fizzy drinks throughout the workout (but don't mix it directly with them, I've found that the can of coke between drinks that my parents always recommended to me as a kid promotes vomiting much more than the can of coke mixed in with the drink).

This.

That would be enough for anyone to throw up without attempting a HIIT workout......:D