• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Perfect Push Ups, not that perfect.

MaxBrenner

Comparison of muscle-activation patterns... [J Strength Cond Res. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Comparison of muscle-activation patterns during the conventional push-up and perfect· pushup™ exercises.

Abstract

Manufacturers of Perfect·Pushup™ handgrips claim enhanced muscular recruitment when compared with the conventional hand-on-floor push-up exercise. Electromyographic (EMG) data were recorded using surface electrodes from the right-sided triceps brachii, pectoralis major, serratus anterior (SA), and posterior deltoid muscles during push-ups performed from 3 different hand positions: (a) shoulder width, (b) wide base, and (c) narrow base (NB). Push-ups were performed under 2 conditions: (a) standard push-up and (b) Perfect·Pushup™ handgrips. We recruited 20 healthy subjects, 11 men (24.9 ± 2.6 years) and 9 women (23.8 ± 1 years).

Subjects completed 3 consecutive push-ups for each hand position under both conditions. Push-up speed was controlled using a metronome, and testing order was randomized. We recorded peak EMG activity for each muscle during each of the push-ups and normalized EMG values by maximum muscle contractions (% maximum voluntary isometric contraction [MVIC]).

Electromyographic data were analyzed with 3 (hand position) × 2 (condition) repeated-measures analysis of variance with a post hoc Bonferroni-adjusted simple effects test to detect significant position effects for position by condition interactions (α = 0.05). A push-up required considerable muscle activation of the triceps brachii (73-109% MVIC), pectoralis major (95-105% MVIC), SA (67-87% MVIC), and posterior deltoid (11-21% MVIC) whether performed using the conventional hand-on-floor position or the Perfect·Pushup™ handgrips. The NB hand position was most effective for preferentially activating the triceps brachii and posterior deltoid muscles.

Based upon EMG activation from 4 muscles, the Perfect·Pushup™ handgrips do not appear to preferentially enhance muscular recruitment when compared with the conventional push-up method.

For all the Swis ballers (including dave) -

Muscle activation when performing the ch... [J Strength Cond Res. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Muscle activation when performing the chest press and shoulder press on a stable bench vs. a Swiss ball.
Uribe BP, Coburn JW, Brown LE, Judelson DA, Khamoui AV, Nguyen D.
Source
Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, California State University, Fullerton, CA, USA.
Abstract
The aim of this study was to examine the effects of a stable surface (bench) vs. an unstable surface (Swiss ball) on muscle activation when performing the dumbbell chest press and shoulder press. Sixteen healthy men (24.19 +/- 2.17 years) performed 1 repetition maximum (1RM) tests for the chest press and shoulder press on a stable surface. A minimum of 48 hours post 1RM, subjects returned to perform 3 consecutive repetitions each of the chest press and shoulder press at 80% 1RM under 4 different randomized conditions (chest press on bench, chest press on Swiss ball, shoulder press on bench, shoulder press on Swiss ball). Electromyography was used to assess muscle activation of the anterior deltoid, pectoralis major, and rectus abdominus. The results revealed no significant difference in muscle activation between surface types for either exercise. This suggests that using an unstable surface neither improves nor impairs muscle activation under the current conditions. Coaches and other practitioners can expect similar muscle activation when using a Swiss ball vs. a bench.

I believe a FUCK YOU is warranted.

And who told you about my swiss ball workouts.
Don't hate dave...

Well correct me if I'm wrong but your last Facebook status update pretty much confirmed it - 'Just finished the best workout, I love you Swiss Ball. Come at me bro's, real men use Swiss Balls'............ :D

I use swiss balls everyday at the gym. They are the best and I could not live without them.

They are my portable seat when watching people goblet squat etc. :D

I used a swiss ball when recovering from a shoulder injury (prone in a pushup position on one arm). Definitely helped with proprioception. Apart from that, i'm a bench man. :)

swiss balls are good for leg curls/glute activation for people with home gyms and no leg curl machine.

Also liked them for isometric holds.

Leg curls on a swiss ball aren't too bad though can't beat GHR (even ghetto style).

Rehab is a different story as there are uses for core and joint stability strengthening post surgery etc etc

swiss balls are good for leg curls/glute activation for people with home gyms and no leg curl machine.
Can't believe I'm going to admit this, but I have done them (and it was difficult). Again it was for the same reason as yourself.

brb going to gym and doing Swiss ball leg curls instead of SLDL, lying Leg Curls, Seated leg curls, standing single leg curls :D

LOL

yeah, definitely not a replacement but a good starter for me. I do need to get around to making a ghetto GHR machine though. Ross Enamiat (sp) has some great vids on all sorts of DIY equipment.

Based upon EMG activation from 4 muscles, the Perfect·Pushup™ handgrips do not appear to preferentially enhance muscular recruitment when compared with the conventional push-up method.

In other words, this device, like so many out there, appears to make a conventional exercise easier and more attractive to a layman.

Unfortunately, like the others, it means its effectiveness for your muscles is slashed. :rolleyes: