• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What to buy...

GaiLeDouche

Hey guys,

So planning on throwing a home gym together while I'm recovering and saving money as a result. I'm looking at a few options out there, but basically all I really want/need at this stage is:
-Power rack w/ chin up
-Bench
-Barbell
-Weights to go on said barbell

I'm looking at some suppliers,
Packages - Free Weight Training - - Powertec Power Rack Package
and
http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/3-Package-Deal-_-Power-Rack--+-FIBEV-flat-incline-bench-+-Olympic-bar-+-80kg-Olympic-weights-$1095/530.htm

Are two that have been recommended to me. Do you guy think otherwise?

I have a muscle motion commercial rack from gymdirect.
I also have a force USA commercial rack.
The muscle motion rack is by far the better rack.
It has a smaller footprint, holds plates, got gnarly knurling on the chin bars, and just looks prettier.

As far as bars go, I have a number of them.
Best all rounder bar, hands down is the abc bop220 power bar. I own 5.
Black nitrate, well knurled, fairly stiff.
It will cost you around $550 delivered I think.

Your other option would be the 600kg thrust bearing bar from gym direct, I have 2 of these.
Good knurling, slightly whippier (positives and negatives), but costs around $250 delivered.
You won't find a better bar than that if your on a budget.

Go the Powertec option from Sam's Fitness. I pretty much bought that same package over 3 years ago and it"s still going strong. Take the Ironmaster bench over the Powertec one aswell. Also, you won't find better service anywhere else than at Sam's Fitness ;)
On the barbell topic, look at Underground Elite for the Texas power bar... By far the best barbell you can buy for under $1000 ($600+postage).

I imagine it will be a decent amount of time until I would notice the difference between a cheap and a good bar, yes?

If you can afford it get a good bar straight up and then you won't have to pay for another bar later on.

I have a cheap 1500lb gym direct bar and it is shit. Already bent and the knurling is smooth making the bar difficult to hold.

I have the bar that came with the muscle motion power rack. there are a few dents in the bar. i don't know how they got there but what i do know is, the goddam Allen key bolts seem to get undone quite frequently

I squatted 220kg last night with a banana bar. It's not the end of the world.

If you have the cash, go ABC, if your on a budget, you can't go past the 600kg bar from GD.

When I first started lifting, the gym had abc bars and they were all very nice to use, loved them. I now have (at home) the most budget ass 700lb gym direct one and it is slighlty bent, but the knurling is smooth and I just hate using it, just feels wrong.

Like already mentioned, get a qood quality one if you plan on using it for some time

Last edited:
I imagine it will be a decent amount of time until I would notice the difference between a cheap and a good bar, yes?

Honestly, the bar that come with my Powertec package lasted 3 years, it was a tiny bit bent but it still did the job. If your not overly strong at the moment it will hold up just fine but once you get a bit stronger you will need a bar that can handle some serious weight.
What are you current lifts mate (squat, bench, deadlift)?

Honestly, the bar that come with my Powertec package lasted 3 years, it was a tiny bit bent but it still did the job. If your not overly strong at the moment it will hold up just fine but once you get a bit stronger you will need a bar that can handle some serious weight.
What are you current lifts mate (squat, bench, deadlift)?

Current lifts, basically non-existent to be honest, so would be quite some time before I pushed the boundaries of a bar.

Hi GaiLeDouche,

just back to your original post, I recently explored this forum and others in search of the right home gym for me. After all the reading of others experiences, and considering my limited amount of space and funds, I ended up going with the second option you mentioned but with a couple of minor changes.

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/3-Package-Deal-_-Power-Rack--+-FIBEV-flat-incline-bench-+-Olympic-bar-+-80kg-Olympic-weights-$1095/530.htm

• But swapped the bar for the 600kg Muscle Motion thrust bearing bar
  • Swapped the bench for the Muscle Motion Commercial Flat bench
  • and added the Dip attachment to the deal too
If I had more space and money, I might have considered the commercial rack package, but not for now..

Anyway, very happy so far with what I got. I am only just starting out so didnt need more weights, but plan to add more kg's down the track..

Hope that helps,

Tuna.

Last edited:
in reality if you stick with it and train for strength you'll be pushing enough to warrant a quality bar inside 2 years.

Also i know finances can be a bitch.

For me, priorities are quality barbell (ABC power bar fit sthe bill perfect) Decent rack :)

cheap plates 2nd hand or whatevers cheapest new if you care about that.

in reality if you stick with it and train for strength you'll be pushing enough to warrant a quality bar inside 2 years.

Fair call.

Now I need to get in to the place and measure it out with the car in there to see how much space I have.